Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:51:17 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4524770 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #640 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Hi my name is Colin
have got interested in cnc after reading" model engineers workshop "they had converted lathe and mill. Having been in engineering one way and another all my life and had now retired decided to give it a go, and convert my lathe which is a 1956 harrison  11" swing 48" bed.
the mechanics have been no problem but building the electronics (not the pcb's) gave me a few headaches but now it is up and running am over the moon with it.
still sorting a few problems like making new tool posts and drill /boring attachments fitted to the cross slide.
mach3 is an unknown to me but very slowly getting there can write the g code for turning facing etc the threading wizard ok but arcs are a complete mystery. and as for the terminology I am baffled to say the least.
Won't bore you any more as I will be putting my problems on the forum.
all the help to get me where I am to date has come from my suppliers mainly Roy at DIYCNC my thanks to  to this gentleman.
thats it for now
Colin

Offline Syl

•  5 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 07, 2009, 05:16:12 PM »
Hi -

My name is Syl and I live in Hillsborough, Ca. - near San Francisco. I'm 84 years old  - but still have my marbles even though my bod is letting me down!

I'm not new to Mach, but new to this forum.  I mess around with CNC doing hobby stuff - like model engines, telescopes and other stuff.

I have a Sharp copy of a Hardinge lathe and a Chris Rosechrist CNC mill made from a modified Chinese mill/drill.  Works fine.

Have been away from milling for a couple of years, and now want to get started with Mach3.  But I'm having trouble getting it going.

Does anyone have a xml file for the above machine?  Right now my license is from Mach one and I don't know if I need a  new one.  Comments?

Also I cannot get Mach3 to reset even though I have unplugged the parallel cable.  More comments?

thanx . . . syl
« Reply #642 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »
Well, that's me... always something new. I'm trying to put together a robotic arm system. Using stepper motors to motivate. I have a very good start, I recently purchased an old Lab-Volt 6 axis robotic arm. It has six steppers, Which I think can be controlled by Mach3. 12 Volt...35 ohms/phase...7.5 degree step angle. I plan on creating a user screen showing the individual axis. Elbow, L wrist, R wrist, Base, Hand, and Shoulder.

Concerns...Issues?

This will be my first attempt. any advise would greatly appreciated.

Pop.
« Reply #643 on: September 11, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
my name MightyMite, I 'm new to this site as I have asked mach3 for help on a problem, they weren't very helpful. So, I am importing from Fanuc post processor and it loads with no pause, all seems fine until there appears to be a duplicate string of commands in the text body. I switch to edit gcode and when I go to the erant string it's not there. I emailed Artsoft, they told me to look for an error message in the Help when the about box comes up but I fined nothing. I went back to the computer where I created the post and there's nothing out of the ordinary there. Need Help guys.
Oh yes, I am a long time machinest, started programing when the only thing around was a 2 1/2 axis machine with paper tape reader. This was back in 1971. No fancy CADCAM only paper, pencil and a knowledge of trig. for programing. Went from there to real 3 axis, still no CADCAM. Now I'm disabled, bought Town Labs 4 axis, want to get back into doing stuff to keep busy, I'm strickly a hobbiest with no interest in commerical machineing. I want to engrave and do jewelry in Turquoise, I want to learn sculpting figures on Turquoise. Also doing what is called Industrial Art, most likely in aluminum and brass.
« Reply #644 on: September 13, 2009, 07:29:19 AM »
Hi everybody, I am completely new to CNC. I have been sandblast etching on glass for a few years, a hobby that has made me a few dollars. The main problem with that is each piece is labor intensive. The idea of setting it up one time properly (I hope) and letting the CNC router do the work is appealing. It is also nice to know that I can expand my horizons to woodcuts and machine parts for the small mechanical gadgets that I enjoy building.
I have invested in a Rockcliff 4 axis controller and steppers along with Mach 3. Now I have to build my machine and get through the large learning curve. You will probably see a bunch of dumb questions, please bear with me.
Thanks for being here, Ray.
« Reply #645 on: September 13, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
Hello everybody,
 my name is patrick, I'm 48 years old, i'm from Belgium and I'm just starting to retrofit an old milling center.
I will of course use mach 3 for it but I will need some help to set it up.
I've already read a lot of posts of this very interresting and helpfull forum and well, here I am!
Patrick Damien
« Reply #646 on: September 14, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »
Hello,

I'm very new in CNC. I've just finishend my Proxxon MF70 conversion, and I'm looking for knowledge to learn someting...

See you!
« Reply #647 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »
My name is Don Dunow.  I have work with CNCs in the past.  In the past I have enjoyed woodworking, but the lst 8 years I have been racing stock cars.  A very talented mechanical engineer wants to build a 5 axis CNC but doens't know the electrical/programming part.  That is where I come in.  The intended mahcine will be 6' X 22' with a 5' height.  We want to use servo motors.  What I am lacking in knowledge is the power supply and servo drives.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Don
« Reply #648 on: September 23, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Hi,

I'm in Ludlow in the UK and have just taken delivery of a Syil X4 plus...

So far so good, as I've got a really old PC (the only one that I seemed to have with a parallel port) to drive it successfully.

Now beginning to sort out the MACH3 configuration for the machine, and and have already found several versions of a config file on different web sites, none of which seem to be quite right for my machine... oh well that's why I just joined this forum.

Igor.
« Reply #649 on: September 23, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
Well, I'm new.  Just committed to purchasing a retrofit from Mach motion today.  The lathe is a gildemeister crossover and I am tired of trying to fix old parts.  I tend to be one of the quiet observers, and will glean whatever information I need as I go (hate wasting other peoples time).  Also Own a Heller universal mill and hopefully be able to apply my experience to it after the lathe.