Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:43:01 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511321 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #430 on: October 11, 2008, 12:30:56 AM »
Hi to all I am new to the forum but have been around CNC for quite a few years. I live in Iowa USA most my life, hobbies are woodworking, CNC machining, and my kids (7 total - 4 girls and 3 boys, can't leave out 2 grandkids) Needless to say I do not get bored to often. I have built 4 different machines in the last 7 years. I have been running Mach3 just a short time but find it user friendly and probably the best controller out there. I was using Turbocnc in the past - it worked great but I really like ArtSoft products! I  attach an image of my latest machine the design is a Sosylva modified to my specs. I had alot of fun building this one.
By the way most call me Boyd
« Reply #431 on: October 11, 2008, 12:54:02 AM »
Hi, My name is Larry. I live in Washington State U.S.A where it rains all the time,
Just saying hello, I am in the process of building my own CNC. I have no experience except I love working with wood. I started seeing some CNC machines and WEB sites and just started building my machine still learning how everything works so I just read  and build, don’t have time to get involved in discursions sorry love to read and learn  ::)
« Reply #432 on: October 11, 2008, 08:33:15 AM »
Greetings, my name is Bill and I live in the Ralleigh area of North Carolina. I work in the facility management areana, but have a comercial controls background, as well as a maintenance stratedgy background. I have been tentatively working on a CNC machine for about 4 years now, and have just been running along in learn mode. I have bene able to produce a few items, but have been working bugs out for the duration. there is so much to leanr that it keeps me entertained when I need it to. Still, I would like to advance a little further, and have been able to make good progress of late.
« Reply #433 on: October 11, 2008, 09:45:04 AM »
My name is Bob and I have been lurking for several years now.  I am an embedded S/W engineer by day and have built two cnc routers in my spare time.   I live in Maryland and use both Sheetcam and Vcarve for hobby projects.
« Reply #434 on: October 11, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
Hi,
  I bought my copy about 2 years ago and have not done much with it yet. I finally got my stepper card and steppers going.  Now I am
Working on a moving gantry machine of my own design.  I intend to cut copper sheet for my wifes crafts and 1/2" plywood for her also.
  Thanks, Ken
« Reply #435 on: October 11, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »
Hi. My name is John and I work in the agriculture industry.  I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and have recently built a 48" x 96" MechMate which I use for making signage in my spare time.  I am using Mach3 as the controlling software and I like it very much.  Thanks.

John
« Reply #436 on: October 11, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »
Hi,

My name is  Gary and I live in the south West of the UK. I work in the Networking & Security side of IT.

I use a Myford Super 7B Lathe for a lot of my work, and I did have an old Chester Milling machine which has now be replaced. I decided to buy a Sieg X3 and then had the crazy idea of converting it to CNC. Not knowing much about CNC, I did some research and started to look and Mach3 for the control side. On the mechanical side, I used CNC Fusions conversion kit with the standard ballscrews and Motion King stepper motors.

On the electronic side, I've used Joc stepper drivers and a CNC4PC breakout board for the interface. My power supply for the stepper motors is home made and is toroidal based.

I've just got it up and running, so far it's working to within .03mm! I'm now converting a 6" rotary table from Arc Euro Trade to use as a 4th axis.

I'm into building Steam models and am currently building a Fowler A7 traction engine in 2" scale. I also fly RC Helicopters, one of which is a turbine powered! I hope the use the mill to build my own model turbines.

Cheers for now

Gary
« Reply #437 on: October 11, 2008, 06:52:36 PM »
Hi all, My name is Paul. I'm an electrical engineer with too many interests and hobbies including hardware, software, and mechanical design and fabrication. I have a a Seig X2 which I have converted to CNC, along with an 11" Delta lathe, which I have yet to convert. I know very little about machining, but my brother has been a tool and die maker for nearly 40 years. I use my equipment mostly for small work related projects - have generated a lot more scrap metal than I have useful parts, but hey - you don't learn if you don't make mistakes.

Paul
« Reply #438 on: October 12, 2008, 07:08:28 AM »
Hi,
I'm Peter, living in South Wales, (thats the old one).
Have built an Imp machine which runs fine but now building a gantry mill own design.

Interests: R/c models, (Aircraft and boats.) Photography
 A printer by trade, I got hooked on the idea of CnC after seeing A HP plotter being driven by a BBC micro many years ago.
I still have a working "Beeb" but use a PC to drive the milll.

Thanks for a great forum

Peter

Offline kak111

•  2 2
  • PLC and CNC can do it............
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
Hi

I´m KAK from Finland.
Born 25.02.1949,
Work in Paper Factory in automation and electric  .....1969
Finnish Airforce in Army   Electrical Mechanical   .....1970
Tech. School  ....1974  Electronics & Automation Engineer
Teacher and Designer .....1978
Freelancer and own company in Service and Desing automation and cnc
Still hanging on in......
           PLC   CNC   Customer Boards & Programming
           Special Mechanics  Special Gearboxes   Special 2-axis spindle heads (like Correa )

Worked and designed with
           Jetter    NUM     Mitsubishi        now on think must check MACH3

Serviced systems  most of all cnc`s  and older special devices

Project for MACH3 is  TOS fabricated carouselle lathe about 198x  full manual control

30kW spindle   about 800mm dia

New mechanics like ball screws  bearing system  more z-axis  maybe 700mm higher   new tool holder and  etc  etc

New axis controls, new spindle control  new cnc system

Maybe put tool changer in this machine too

Thank You
Regards KAK