Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:00:53 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511447 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2280 on: April 04, 2016, 05:35:20 AM »
There are lots of things you can try but initially (assuming you are using the LPT parallel port for communication between the machine & PC).

Run the  DriverTest.exe (Mach3 folder) and see if you get good results (reasonably flat line).

Check that the LPT parallel port address (shown in Windows Device Manager) is the one you have entered in Mach Ports & Pins.

Tweakie.
I finally got it. The old version of Mach 3 shipped with my machine had a problem I don't understand. I downloaded a new copy and it started running my machine the first time. lol The next step I guess is fixing the X-axis drive gear. The machine came badly damaged. I disassembled it and used an arbor to straighten and realign the gantry pieces. I'd been afraid the drive gear was still slightly bent. I'm going o try one attempt at fixing it and then probably order a new one. Thanks for your reply. I'll post the progress.
« Reply #2281 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
Just bought mach3 and the addon learning to use it. this looks like a great place to share things.
« Reply #2282 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
Hi, I'm a retired Brit livinng in Southern Spain. I've got a small (bedroom) electronic workshop and a Sherline mill, which I attempt to use to cut diecast enclosures from Hammond, so they look neater than modifying by hand. I spent most of my working like in broadcast engineering and post production in London's Soho

Not a bad place to live, friendly people, good bars and food, quite cheap. Getting metal to work with is a pain in this neck of the wood.  Among other things is writing (simple) programs for AVR and laying out circuit boards

Bye
Martin
« Reply #2283 on: April 05, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »
sorry I didn't post here first. I'm somewhat new to mach3 as I have only been using it about a year but I tend to pick things up pretty quick I feel I'm doing ok. I currently Have a 14X40 manual lathe a cnc large knee (which I haven't used yet) and Then I have a grizzle combo unit that I have been using for a few years now. I also have a modified Taig CNC mill and a sherline cnc lathe. I started with machining as a way to help keep my hobby of gun work cheaper...LOL go figure. I went to school to learn cnc and can do ok at mastercam and manual Gcodes. I only started VB coding this last week trying to get my auto tool length setter working. which is what brought me here.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 06, 2016, 02:04:34 AM »
Hi Guys,

Welcome to your forum.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2285 on: April 09, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
Hi my name is alias is pirate I'm new to cnc, not much time left (aged 74) so I'm in a bit of a hurry to learn, bought a 5 axis Mach3 interface board with USB and LPT1 and HY-DIV268N-5V drivers can this board run by the USB only or does it run via the LPT1 only or both. Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks Pirate.
« Reply #2286 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »
Its me again, sorry forgot to mention that on the laptop there are USB and 15pin D socket on it, no LPT1 obviously.

Cheers Pirate

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 09, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
Hi Pirate,

Welcome.

Sounds like you need to get an older PC (perhaps second user) which has an LPT parallel port.
Mach3 does not run successfully from a laptop unless you use an External Motion Controller (such as the ESS http://warp9td.com/ or similar)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2288 on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, but why have the USB socket on the board if its not used, and is the 15 D socket no use if I get a gender bender to connect it to the LPT1 on the board.

Regards Pirate

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 09, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, but why have the USB socket on the board if its not used, and is the 15 D socket no use if I get a gender bender to connect it to the LPT1 on the board.

Regards Pirate

The USB socket is just to provide the 5Volt power from the PC to the board - the board is driven by the LPT port and should be connected with a 25 way, LPT parallel port cable.
Gender benders will not work in this instance.
Mach3 does not run successfully from a laptop.

Tweakie.
PEACE