Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 3264220 times)

Offline Cad cam man

• View Profile
Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2590 on: April 13, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Tweakie I have seen u on just about every page I click on here, thanks for the link and by the way do you know why it says holding under my user name??

Just the way the forum works - it has changed to Active Member now.  ;)

Tweakie.

Hey real quick I know this is not the place for this question but u seem to know a lot about mach3 in the tool table page /offset page for length the icon on the left side all show to be lathe turning inserts is there something I'm missing or can I change that to drills ,mills,and etc

Offline Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #2591 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:57 AM »
As far as I know it is what it is and cannot easily be changed.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.

Offline john3030

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: April 15, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
i'm really starting to regret ever purchasing anything cant get anthing to work sense tried installing before xmas. changed computer now and just getting more pissed. not wasting anymore money on this software. could of almost got pro software by now

Offline joeaverage

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: April 15, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
Hi,
what hardware are you trying to operate? Given that tens of thousands of people use Mach successfully suggests
there must be a problem somewhere.

Craig
My wife left with my best friend...
     and I miss him!

Offline catlingm

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: April 23, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
Hi, I'm Greg, I just downloaded Mach3 demo to try out on a plasma table I'm building. Once the table is all set and I know it moves as it should, I'm debating on getting the license for Mach3 or Mach4. I'm trying to wire everything up now and figure out how to get Mach to control the plasma cutter and interface with the torch heigh control that I have. I'm hoping the search function here works pretty good so I can streamline the process and get this thing cutting pretty soon. I'm open to any help I can get.

Thanks,
     Greg

Offline joeaverage

• View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: April 23, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Hi Greg,
welcome. At the current time Vital Systems HiCon external motion controller is the only external motion controller that has THC support for Mach4 whereas
just about all Mach3 external controllers and Mach3's internal controller, aka the parallel port, have THC support.

The HiCon board is very good but they start at $600 and you need to figure that cost in if you want to go Mach4. Mach3 still represents the cheapest way to proceed.
If you like a challenge and have some view to future uses the Mach4 is attractive, be aware ther is a brutal learning curve.

Craig
     and I miss him!

Offline TOTALLYRC

• View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 24, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
Hi Joe,
FYI the Hiconn hobby board is ~$435 IIRC. 4 channels and only 125K step rate but for many hobbyists it is a great board. I grabbed one for my lathe and so far so good.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline tommiefromva

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 24, 2018, 01:43:13 PM »
Hi I am Tommie. I'm a retired 87 year old Pipe Fitter and I build a CNC Router from Patrick Hoods book "Build Your Own CNC Machine". I just have to install the electronics and I thought I should find  out how to run it. I took drafting in school back in 1954 but that was pre computers so I am at a complete loss on programming. Is there a book or instructions somewhere that I can find to get me started.

Offline piercecustomcues

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 24, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Hello my name is Amy and I am from Idaho.  My boyfriend is a custom cue maker.  We have decided to start doing inlays in his cues!  He had the CNC built over 3 years ago.  I am a wiz on a computer, where he is a genius on a lathe!  We even went out and bought a brand new laptop since the Mac computer we have doesn't work with Mach.  Now I am seeing that maybe we can't use the laptop either??? The brains of the CNC is a Gecko drive 540 with a parallel port. I have bought a parallel port to USB adapter.  Does that not work?  I would love any kind of help getting started in this new venture!

Offline joeaverage

• View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: April 24, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Hi,
the powersaving features of a laptop alter the CPU speed in such a manner that means Mach's parallel port doesn't work too well. Some people have reported good success with a parallel port
but many others have reported failures.

Machs parallel port is a poor name really, it doesn't describe the real situation. Machs Pulse Engine is code that runs at kernel level on the PC's CPU. Amogst other things it does is an interuput driven timer,
and it is  the timer that generates the pulse stream which are communicated by the parallel printer port. Any USB to parallel adapter screws up the timing and so cannot be used with Mach. Having Mach's
Pulse Engine run smoothly and consistently is a considerable challenge. Any software or service running on the CPU can break the pulse stream and therefore wreck your CNC job.
Additionally Mach's parallel port will only run on 32 bit OS's Windows7 or earlier.

The parallel port has been around for a long time, its free and works OK. There are quirks though, for some reason one PC will not do as well as another, and I don't mean powerful PC's either. Some of the slowest
least grunty XP PC's do a better job than a multicore PC with muscles on its muscles...you just can't tell.

In more recent years external motion controllers have been developed. These controllers take over the roll of generating the pulse streams and relieve the CPU of the PC the constraints imposed by running
Machs Pulse engine. The Ethernet SmoothStepper by Warp9 and the UC100 by CNCDrive are good examples. The UC100 is very popular, it costs about $120. Don't get ripped, there are a ton of Chinese counterfeits
out there, buy direct or from the manufacturers nominated distributor. It is plugged into the PC by USB and has a parallel port output, you might even say an adaptor, its not, it has  FPGA inside and is way too clever
just to be called an adaptor.

Another advantage of external controllers like the UC100 is that you are free of the constraints of the Pulse Engine, ie you can use laptops and any 64 bit Windows OS.

If you wish to consider an external controller, and I do recommend you consider it, I had a parallel port setup for several years before buying a SmoothStepper and the external controller is very very good
indeed, be wary of Chinese made stuff. If you do any reading on the forum you will find that some don't work at all, some not well and in most cases they wont help. Even if you do get one to work often
they wont do certain things like probing or lathe threading. Cheap prices attract a lot of buyers but poor quality and lack of support put them off just as quickly.

Craig
     and I miss him!