Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:16:56 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511333 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
Hi, I live in Iowa. I build Pool Cues. I have a taig milling machine and use Mach 3 with bobcad to write programs for inlays in my cues. I'm posting so I don't get removed. I might have a question or two someday, but I can usually find the answers in another post somewhere. Hope everybody has a great day!!!!!!   Thanks for all the help through the posts.
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2008, 01:41:41 AM »
Hi,

My name is Mike Gershowitz and I'm an electrical engineer who's been hobby machining since high school (back in the early 70's).  I've got a Bridgeport mill with a Futaba CNC retrofit - runs like a charm, but is only 2 axis.  I've also got a Jet 1340 lathe, which I intend to convert to CNC and use Mach as the machine controller.  After doing the normal activities of (manually) machining lots of replacement parts for friends and neighbors, and making a bunch of tooling for my own machines, I took a liking to building miniature steam engines.  Now I'm hooked on 1/8 scale live steam, and spend a fair amount of time fabricating parts for my own 4-4-2 Little Engines "Atlantic" locomotive and our club trains (Golden Gate Live Steamers in the San Fransisco CA area). I live in San Jose CA, and I'm not yet retired.
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2008, 01:42:27 AM »
After a little prompt , I now should step fwd and be seen . Ive been watching with interest for some time, but alas time is a rare commodity. I live in Melbourne, Australia and have all but retired from toolmaking. I have a small lathe and mill at home that I hope to do something with as far as CNC goes some day.
Regards Rob B 
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »
Hello my name is byron.

I have built a small engraving machine with a high frequency spindle doing 20,000rpm.

The rpm really helps and gives a good finish doinf speeds of 3000mm/min.

« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »
Hi, I'm Todor

I've been using MACH for the past 3 years and will say it's a great software that is available and affordable for the average cnc user. The support is great and the bug fixes are released fast. Thanks for all the work done there.

I am currently building a wood router, gauntry type and have struggled quite a bit with the DIY servo drives I decided to go with. Anyway, the metal work is almost done, will have to do some massive wiring to get the thing moving.

Regards
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2008, 01:46:14 AM »
Ok, I'm Jordi from tallereseas.com.

Thanks.
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2008, 02:31:57 AM »
Bill from White plains. Can wizards be made and run outside mach3 or standalone?
Ok, I've been a lurker up until now
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:47 AM »
Hi everyone

My name is Ralph Klaassen and I live in Perth, Western Australia.

I completed a Model C metric machine build in May based on the plans from Rockcliff Machine. You can see the result in attached photo CIMG0238reduced.JPG

No major dramas in building the machine -- the fun part soon started in terms of getting it to do what I want.

I've progressed well in terms of picking up and understanding G-code but then I've been designing and programming microprocessor/microcontroller based circuits for more than a little while now. Of course that background hasn't helped me to understand the relationship between feed rate and spindle speed in different materials so I've trashed a few mills along the way. :) So most of my learning curve has been around machining concepts.

My goal is to use the machine to mill out custom control panels for model railroad layouts. Custom within limits of course -- as a customer you'd use a layout application on the web and get to choose from a set of standardized images of things like turnouts and track sections, combine them by laying them against each other like domino blocks within the available area and then submit your custom layout for manufacture. You'd be able to get a PDF back that you could it cut out and put it somewhere on you layout to visualize what it might be like. I'll convert the layout data directly into G-code using a pre-processor from my data format to the G-code. From a programming perspective there will be some interesting optimizations needed to cut what would be represented as discrete sections of straight track into single cuts. Now of course none of this is my day job so progress hasn't been as fast as I'd like.

To give you an idea of what the panels might be like I've attached a photo of one of the prototype panels that I built for my friend who is into modeling railroads. See attached photo S6300033reduced.JPG. This prototype was manually constructed and drilled using a bench press. The results are OK but frankly lacked a certain precision :). It was the desire to improve the quality of the finished result that led to the desire to build my own milling machine.

As things move forward on this project I could provide progress updates to anyone interested.

Anyway, that's a brief background. Good luck to you all with your respective CNC endeavours. It's been a fun ride so far.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:44:19 AM by rklaassen »
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »
Hi - Don't delete me
My name is Ron.  I have been automating industrial equipment, processes and plants for25 years.  Mostly PLC and Plant Wide Supervisory and Data Acquisition Systems but i have always been intrigued with CNC.  I am winding down in business and and have now successfully built a router, a plasma cutter and upgraded an engraver.  I have currently working on a 4 by 8 router and plasma cutter.     
« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2008, 02:45:18 AM »
Not sure whether I've posted here or not before. I usually use the yahoo group, which communicates by email rather than having to log on all the time.
It also seems a bit silly to delete all the zero posters, many people just use this forum to study the problems and solutions of others.

Anyhow to comply, I am Dr Mark Vaughan, have a large Avon CNC mill under mach3, a Harrison M280 still under development, a large router in a crate somwhere on it's way from China which will be on mach3, and who know what else. Most of you know me anyway, so that should do for the post.
Regs Mark