Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:55:12 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511585 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:15 PM »
Hi:
I am using Mach 3 to control a Taig CNC mill. I'm also using Bobcad software to create my G code and Solid Works for my 3D design.
I've made some knife parts so far but have light years to go before I'm comfortable with the hardware and software. I am making progress.
Thanks
--Art
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
This is my first post. I have been a Mach user for three or four years now. I check out the website periodically, just to keep in touch. I guess the reason I have never posted before is because it seems that any question I come up with has already been asked and answered. I really appreciate the people dong all of the hard work, leaving me to enjoy the projects in front of me. My machine is a homemade cnc router built almost entirely from Ebay shopping. My control is from Hobby CNC (Great Service from them). My projects seem to revolve around framing art.

Keep up the great work!

JP
FiveSPirate
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
Hi Guys...

Lucas Jacobson... Musical instrument designer...

Question about Sherline... I have a Sherline, but with a third party stepper motor system (Low cost CNC retrofit) I have the machine set up and dialed in with a dial indicator for distances, however when I run a program, the x axis is not accurate in running the program. the x axis drifts allot..... Should I use the Sherline pulse setting to correct this drift??? I have checked the mechanical, they are fine, and the travel is dead on when I jog in .100" steps.. Even the backlash is set dead on when using the dial indicator.. Any suggestions?? I'm running X axis at 10 IPM is that too high??

Help...
Lucas
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
HI, My name is Ray, I have been involved with cnc for many years, many on bigger machines, Motion Master routers running on Mastercam and Powermill.  I have recently started at the Science Museum of Minnesota and picked up an incompleteproject. It involves a Pilot Pro Hobby cnc router, a Hobbycnc chopper card.  I am attemting to interface them all with Mach3 at this time.  I am trying to locate setup instructions at this time as the card has power, but the card isn't getting data from Mach3 and need help to figure out the ports and pins, I think to make it move...Any helpis appreciated..
Ray
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »
Greetings to all. I'm a new member in the process of swapping a mach 3 control onto my balding vertical mill. I've used dos-based "ah-ha"cnc  on my mill and lathe since the late nineties--its my only cnc experience. I plan to set the mach 3 up beside the ah-ha so I can run either one, so I can get up to speed with mach 3 before making the switch permanent. I have a very busy 1 person shop; most of the parts I make are pretty simple, so I'm in the habit of writing a lot of quick, simple programs manually. For much of the work I do, no cam program could ever be as quick or flexible. The ah-ha system, though crude, has an editor with a graphic display (quite crude but adequate) that tags indigestible lines of code for correction. Is there an equivalent editor for mach 3?  Right now it calls up notepad, but it's obviously set up for other editors. Another question--can the mach 3 toolpath display ever show grid lines? I've spent so much of my life seeing them, when they aren't there I get a weird light-headed feeling and think maybe I'm too old for new tricks. I ought to say, I'm a metalworker more than a computer user, self-taught in both.
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2008, 04:27:08 PM »
Hi,
My name is Herman and I live in Texas, I have some years programming PLC , but now  I'm very interested to learn about the CNC and specific in Mach is amazing !!!! You don't need this expensive control to obtain excellent results...the next week begin to built my CNC Router.

HC
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »
Hi my name is Aaron aka cletusrace.  I found this sight looking for some info. on master5 software and looking for info. on the stepper3 driver board.  I have been using cnc equipment for about 13 yrs.  Looking for some info. on trying to retrofit a brigdeport cnc with a boss5 control to use a stepper3 board and was going to us master5 software, but see they don't make that software anymore and are useing mach3 now.
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »
Hi Folks

I’m new here and am hoping that you might be able to point me in the right direction. I have built a 4 axis machine controlled by Mach 3, the machine is called a concrete or mortar printer. It’s a bit like 3D plotter with a tangent controlled trowel. The machine is very simple in that it pumps premixed mortar from a hopper to the print nozzle, the pump is started and stopped like the pen on a plotter going up and down.

To create a concrete structure one starts printing layers from the ground up. Each layer of mortar is about 5/8” deep and 1” wide. I know this sounds like a wacky project but it’s for an artist (need I say more).

Please could any of you answer the following:-

Why when using tangent control do I need to brake an arc down into less than 180 degrees? From my experimentation, if an arc is grater than 180 then the software (Mach3) will calculate the tangent for the opposite shorter path while the XY path remains on course, at least that’s the way it appears, it seems like the tangent dose not see cw/ccw direction over/above 180 degrees.

At present I am having to construct each 3d model by generating the tool paths by hand using 2D layered DXF files and then using Lazy Cam to separate each layer by entering it’s height above ground. Is there a method of automatic layering by say entering a relative incremental height? I’m talking about entering around 500 layers by hand.

Is it possible to command the spindle (in this case the mortar pump) to stop before the end of a run by (n) seconds?

I am sure there is already a software solution for creating vectored tool path layers of a 3D model (slices), I know there are CAM packages for milling machines. But I am not sure if it works for a positive layering machine, and if it kicks out G-code can it be custom post proceed. Can anyone suggest a suitable package please?

If any of you can help with any of this then thank-you and much appreciated. I am very impressed with the features and adaptability of Mach it has made possible a project that would have required many years of custom programming. I look forward to seeing your replies.

Thanks,
Dwight
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
Hello all,

The name is Steve. I work in the aircraft industry. We're using a ShopCAM x150 y64 z7 sized router table, with a Colombo 7.5hp spindle and Micro-Step Stepper motors (960 oz/in). I'm taking panels drawn in AutoCAD 2005 and use MasterCAM X2 for the programming. We'll be cutting mostly Fibrelam, a fibreglass honeycomb panel, and Teklam, an all aluminum honeycomb panel. I'm still testing in MDF until we get things right as the honeycomb panels run around $1000 a sheet. I'm here to get some help as ShopCAM just went out of business recently and we're on our own.
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
 ;D hi my name is larry charlton or larryc as I will be known on tis forum I just built a 4.5 foot by 8 foot cnc router macine it still is a long way from being finished but I have just installed mach 3 and got my licence. I am having some roblems getting everything going and getting registered on the forum but it is all coming together well.  I am from canada ontario from walford up here in the north.  Just interducing myself.......