Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:36:21 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511396 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #410 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »
Hi every one

My name is Nick and I live in South East Ohio. I am new to CNC I have had my Vortech 4x8 router for about 4mos. now and learning more every day.
I watched the mach tutorials about 100 times before my router arrived so I had a pretty good grasp on things for a new guy. I use vectric soft ware and it has made for an easy transition for me to cut parts. I have a small cabinet shop and that was what inspiered me to get a cnc in the fist place. I wanted something to cut out cabinet parts little did I know that there is so much more you can do.

I enjoy my wife and kids and being at home(my shop is in my garage ;D) Ialso like to race motocross hence my user name.

I would like to thank Hood for responding quickly to my first post and trying to help.

Thanks,
Nick
« Reply #411 on: October 09, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
Hi everyone,
 I'm Bruce Beckman from Cedartown, GA. I am a tool and die maker, apprenticed in the late '70s and sort of migrated to electronics and motion control because of the industry shift to CNC. Seems to be more than a few like me here!
I have built a lot of motion controlled equipment for manufacturing but still love it as a hobby. I am using Mach at home to control a 5-axis arm and a retrofit Hurco.

My favorite thread here has been the castable machine base, a lot of good brainstorming has went on there!

-bruce

Offline gjf

•  1 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 10, 2008, 12:19:52 AM »
Hi, All,

I have been looking at some of the posts on this and similar sites to get an idea of how things are working with machines that use MACH 3. I have been through a bit of a struggle getting a machine running dependably, and still don't have it where I want it. Purchased from Dynamic Plastic, a small ball screw machine with x, y/A, and Z axes, I worked with it for about 9 months before I thought I had it running dependably. But now the weather has turned colder and just last night it started to act up again. It is stored in my unheated garage and it turned cooler the last couple of nights. The ball screws are tempermental.

I have repeatedly asked for help from the manufacturer, but all he was interested in was my money.

I am a graduate engineer with 40 years of design experience in mechanical and electrical fields and own a small company which builds test instruments. I don't have a lot of time to spend writing blogs. But maybe someone may have an interest in getting some idea of how I have approached getting this machine working.

Before the nine months were over, I had made the decision that if something could be assembled incorrectly, then it was done so in this machine. When I received the machine, the computer ran fairly dependably. That was about all. Jams in x axis, jams in both y and a axes, blown controller  board, lack of documentation, out of square frame construction. construction that forced the x/y axes to be out of square, you name it. An interesting story.

I am now using the machine for small projects, some of which are fairly important to me and my company. It is a small machine. But with the ball screws, it can do some fairly accurate routing. When it is working.

Problems solved:

adjust x axis bearings
adjust y axis bearings
adjust a axis bearings
shim frame to true it.
disassemble x carriage system to correct misassembly error throwing it out of square
test solidstate driver current waveforms. replace and retune controller board.
discover lubrication needed on small stepper motor belts for proper operation

learned to program in G code and have a number of successful programs running.  i would like to hear how people are able to do a little more than write simple linear code. I have written code in C, assembly and basic in the past.

I wonder how people are working with racks and how racks and ball screws compare. Accuracy vs. freedom from tempermental.

Thoughts?

gjf

« Reply #413 on: October 10, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »
Your email said:
"We are going to be doing a lot of housekeeping over the next month in preparation for updating our forum software.  This will be un-noticeable to most, but all members with 0 posts will be deleted."
Post #1.  Will be back after cast is removed. 
« Reply #414 on: October 10, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
I've been trying to buy the software and some parts to build an xyz machine for years but I have to keep stopping and working. It's the story of my life, get caught up with technology, get behind, get caught up, get behind. It's getting so now information is not so free. As a nation, we're becoming more commercial.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 10, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »
Information here is free and always will be. The only thing you have to do is make one single post to prove you are not a spammer and I dont think that is too much to ask.

Hood
« Reply #416 on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »
Well I'm not a spammer. Just a happy MACH3 user:)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 10, 2008, 10:16:05 AM »
And you are welcome here :)

Hood
« Reply #418 on: October 10, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »
Hood:
you're right, it's not to much to ask. spamming sucks and ruins it for the rest of us, and for those who pay money for servers and storage and internet access and provide personal time. when i make my xyz machine i will gladly upload tech info, i am a mechanical engineer. I won't be making toys either, i owe, i owe, so off to work i go. and thank God there's a job to go to that hasn't been shipped overseas. yankee ingenuity is our strong trait and forums such as this one further the cause. thank you.
« Reply #419 on: October 10, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
Hi, my name is Louis. I am a civil servant in Ottawa, ON, CA. CNC machining is my hobby, but with four boys and a job, it is is hard to find the time.

I have just finished build my CNC wood router but I have not got arround to using it much yet other that calibration and testing.
Louis