Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:41:51 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511319 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #820 on: May 14, 2010, 01:03:50 AM »
I am a sophomore in high school who is interested in pursuing engineering.  One of my projects is a CNC router.  I am paralleling my design with several online versions.  I am also building a simple h-bridge controller board (thank you mach 2/3 for providing easy signals to work with).  This is my first major project (I did a small mill conversion on a dremel drill press).  Our robotics team has a Tormach at school that uses Mach 3.  Once I get to work on the machine, I can explore the world of CNC even more than just the theory. 
Any general advice on building a CNC router would help. 
Thanks,
Nishant
« Reply #821 on: May 15, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
Hello All,

My name is John, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Another newbie to the form and to CNC. At 50 I've decided to start a second career in CNC and Machining. I've just finished my first of two years at Seneca College, Tool Design program. I have a Novakon NM200 machine; a good starter machine. My interests are primarily in Motorsports and in particular motorcycle racing (raced for 14 years earlier in life). I was always making parts on manual V/mill and lathe and enjoyed the satisfaction... cheaper, stronger, better......

With so many things being new and a fairly steep learning curve, I've had the normal teething problems getting going, but I am making forward progress...  ;)

Cheers and happy chips
John

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:04:43 PM by raceboy »
« Reply #822 on: May 15, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
Hello,

About 1 month ago, I purchased a Lagun 3-axis mill with mach3 installed. The machine is in
sweet condition and we(my son and I) are slowly learning to use it. I have been a machine
designer since about '85. I started as a toolmaker in '76. Have done alot of VB programming
over the years, and some G-code programming for special machines. My current goal is to
write a VB program to produce g-code for simple drilling operations. Pockets etc., would
also be included, but I intend to use existing wizards for that, and include them as a g-code
subroutine (call the external files as subs). The reason for this program is to make the
machine as easy to operate as a manual mill (if possible). It will have a table for X,Y location
manual entry, along with the hole tags. Then setup operations for the hole tags on other
screens. The output g-code will call macros for each tool# to set the Z offset, w/G31. There
is no presetting of tools. I did search around for the VB API to mach3, but didn't find too
much. The main advise I need right now is whether I'm addressing a valid need, or if
there is a commercial CAM program that would do this at reasonable cost (less than $500).

Thanks for any replies,
John
« Reply #823 on: May 17, 2010, 04:30:32 PM »
Hi,

my name is Phil and I live in the UK. Long retired after careers In the Royal Navy and the Nuclear Industry. I have a small home workshop where I produce reproductions of classic Morse keys. I first became interested in CNC in order to engrave the Makers Plates on the keys. I built an engraving machine which ran under Master 5 and was hooked. I now have a small Unimat lathe modified for CNC which still uses Master 5 for control, two tabletop mills which use Mach 2 and a router which uses Mach 3.

I used to do all the coding by hand, but it is laborious and prone to errors so I invested in Sheetcam which has been a great help. However I could not find reasonably priced software for turning so had a look at Lazyturn but soon ran into trouble and turned here for help. The response was immediate and helpful for which I am very grateful and glad to be aboard.

I also enjoy gardening and travelling and spend most winters down under in Australia. I am a licensed Radio Amateur callsign G0NVT.

Phil

« Reply #824 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
Hello My name is lew I used the name Weldor for this site because I have welded since I was 13 and have been getting paid to weld for 33 years now . Well that has been the way I fabricate things . My brother is an engineer and we hope that I can start to machine parts for him . I have just finished converting a Ind. Hobbies Square collum Mill to CNC . So far I See No C's (Chips) . 8 (  . I'm from Pgh ,Pa.  I will be needing your help . Maybe I can return the favor with some of my welding knowledg . I'll be reading through some posts first before I start asking questions , So Thank You All in advance .
« Reply #825 on: May 25, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
I am not a spammer.

CR.
« Reply #826 on: May 27, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
Hi my name is Tim. I am a mechanical engineer for a security seal company in Long Island N.Y.  I have been building and designing machines for about 12 years now.  I try to get into the cnc we have here whenever i can, as i like to make custom parts for my R.C. cars.  I recently purchased a KX1 cnc machine from littlemachineshop.com.  I have just installed the software as instructed. When i open the mach3 loader program it wants me to select kx1 or kx3. I have neither option, and don't know why.  I can be emailed @ tbourne@americancasting.com, or nuts4ourcarz@aol.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Tim
 ???
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:45:36 AM by timskx1 »
« Reply #827 on: May 29, 2010, 07:58:42 AM »
Hi, I'm Rob and I live near Rochester NY.  I took up machining as a hobby about 3 or 4 years ago and recently acquired an X2 mini-mill that had already been converted to CNC. I have a lot to learn and I'm still practicing on foam, although I hope to make my first real parts this weekend.

I'd like to hear from you if you're in the Upstate NY area.  I would like to get a model engineering and technology club started, or at least meet a few others who would be interested in getting together occasionally to share a meal and talk shop.

If you'd like to learn more about me then please visit http://www.machinistblog.com/.
« Reply #828 on: May 29, 2010, 04:05:05 PM »
Hello All My name is Tom Maddock. I have been a one man shop guy for about 36 years. Started out with a bunch of machinery dating from the '20s to the '50s. Over the ensuing years i've replaced them all with the exception of a craftsman drillpress which just will not quit. Had a guy call one day asking if i would be interested in making the rim for a discus, sure. That call led to making the rims for four different sizes in three weights each. I started doing that job on a mid '50s Cinci. 15 x 54 lathe with shop made form tooling, could make about 10 rims in a long day if I realy kept at it. Demand grew to the point that I could not keep up. I got a Cazenuve with a tracer, though I gone to heven. Was able to up production to 20 to 30 rims per day again keeping the nose to the stone. Demand grew more, could not keep up. So I morgaged the home and got a Hwacheon Hi-ECO 21 HS. With this machine I could make about 70 rims a day. The rim job lasted for several years, at last count several thousand discus rims came out of my shop, includung the Gold metal winner at the Atlanta Olympics! Nice to get to blow your own horn. Eventualy the outfit making the discus was sold, I made rims for them for a time, but one day they said to stop all production right where i was as the job had been sent to China. O'well I was looking for work when that one came along.
 For the last 15 years or so I've been making parts for bicycles keeping the Hi-ECO busy. Thats slowing up some now as my bigest account has obtained their own machine and are making many of the parts that I made. I'm still making lots of 5C sized parts with an American Way AW100 gang tool lathe. Running a batch of waterbottle bosses at this time, 5000 of them takes about 6 days, 97 pcs. per 36" bar.
 Thinking that I would like to get into milling I have obtained a Bridgeport Series 1 R2E3 Boss 8. Nice working mill for the most part, made a lot of parts with it. Which leeds me to why I'm here.
A few weeks ago while cutting a pocket in a SST tube my attention was drawn to the mill by the lack of cutting sounds. The spindle was spinning but no feed on the X axis and an error mesage stating "axis limit". In reading the manual I have found several reasons for that error, but they all seem not to check out. This has led to some expensive guys who know better how to write bills than how to fix old Bridgports. I think I will convert this mill to Mach. Been gleaning the posts for sujestions. Thanks for listening Tom
« Reply #829 on: May 30, 2010, 03:50:57 PM »
Hi

I am about finished converting a PROXXON Mini-Mill to CNC with parts, motors and electronics I found on eBay. I need to add in the stops for each axis. I am planning to use the machine to create pieces for my train layout.

I added the CNC after I realized that a mill without CNC was like using a printer unconnected to a computer. Yes you could print but very slowly and inaccurately. The Proxxon was modified to include ball-bearings at  each end of the table XY direction. Otherwise unmodified. I created the three stepper motor mounts in Plexiglas and sintra plastics.

Alan