Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:27:04 AM

Author Topic: Turret Lathe Tool Change  (Read 5177 times)

Turret Lathe Tool Change
« on: April 22, 2022, 03:52:01 PM »
I'm going to try and have a ton of m6 examples that we've done in the past more accessible to the public (without scanning the forums forever, likely included in the Lua examples folder in a future release. *some are already there*).
So I'm putting this here as a start to see how many people really require help with their m6's, support seems constant regarding this issue so we must not be providing the info in the right way.
Happy to receive some feedback and message me if you need an m6 macro as an example to begin with. We have compiled many  :)
ps. if you use this macro, please add some sort of error checking to ensure you're not stuck in a while loop forever if you never find the inputs requested... it's just, not good.
Re: Turret Lathe Tool Change
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
This is another similar example.
Notes are in the code.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
   local max = 8
   local target = 2
   local current = 4
   --This is the logic needed for the shortest path to a new tool.

if ((target - current + max) % max < max/2) then
      print((target - current + max) % max) --Count to new tool CW
      print("cw")
   else
   --(target - current + max) % max
      print(max - (target - current + max) % max)
      print("ccw")
   end
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:37:39 AM by GOOMBA »
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 07:36:38 PM »
Hi Goomba

I have a Boxford lathe with an 8 position toolchange turret which I have had running on Mach 3 for many years using a Sound logic breakout board on parallel port.

The xp computer is on its last legs so I have decided to update the whole system to ESS MB3 and a mini pc on windows 11 running Mach4. I already have my mill and router running on Mach4.

Having started to try and figure out the m6 for the toolchanger I am beginning to wish I had left it on Mach3.

The turret has no sensor to set start position. On the old setup I created a button and dro so that I could manually move to tool 1 and set zero.
The turret moves forward the required number of steps for the requested tool the reverses back against a ratchet. There is no lock but it has been very reliable.

I have searched the forum but I am not quite sure which m6 to start with.

If you could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Art