Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:53:45 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511326 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #1670 on: February 26, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
Hi y'all.
I am a robotics engineer working on machine automation for wafer handling. been a computer engineer for 20 some years.

Two years ago I bought a secondhand K2 15x24 or so CNC router from an instructor who teaches robotics at Stanford, run by Mach3 through a XP driven laptop with parallel port to some sort of interface box that drives the x-y-z gantry. Nice setup, it came with a Bosch Colt mini-router, I bought the cradle for my Porter cable 1 1/2 horse router. Nice. I use this to make lens boards for my large format cameras, and groovy boards for my quilting machine. It will get used for many other things as I figure out what I want to do with it.  No problems till last weekend.  I'll  find a more appropriate forum for that.

I use Cut2D for my G-Code generation. One day Ill splurge on Cut3D Or V-Carve to go with the 3D Cad program I use (Alibre). Assuming I get the Mach3 running again.

I look forward to wandering around the forum and seeing what others are doing. It looks like it's time I really learn whats going on inside this system instead of being just a user.

tim in san jose

« Reply #1671 on: February 28, 2013, 03:59:39 AM »
Dear users,
I have a CNC machine that run on wood processing. The CNC, has a spindle which moves at 24,000 rev / min.

currently, I'm using a drill of 2 mm in diameter and I'm trying to set all process parameters. Step, step Z, cutting speed and speed of sinking.

I therefore ask you some advice or if you have tables to be collected, the data I need.

I have some doubts about the settings of cutting speed and speed Feedrate for drills that I use. I use cutters Hss, with 2mm diameter, 3 mm and 6 mm. I ask you to help set Art Cam.

currently, I am realizing of inlays for guitar-shaped opallino (called "dot") with a milling cutter 2 mm, on a sheet of maple 2.5 mm.

Since the pieces are numerous and have a diameter of 6 mm, are too small to be retouched manually with all the abrasive paper. so I need the highest possible speed and also I'm looking for the right balance between a good speed and a good final work, clean.
I have made several attempts, observing the parameters already set by the ART program CAM for drills larger 6 mm in the tool section.

Therefore, I have reduced the parameters dividing x 3, to obtain the data x that use the cutter, which is 2 mm.
For example, in ArtCAM for the cutter 6 mm, the pitch was 2400, I divided by 3 and I got the result of 800. I did so for the other parameters.

Previously, the file processing, had the following characteristics:
Step 0400
Step Z 1000
Spindle Speed ​​24,000
Cutting speed 8000
Sinking speed 1000

With these data in the first table, the work was too slow, so I tried to change it in this way:
Step 0700
Step Z 1500
Spindle Speed ​​15,000
Cutting speed 42,000
Speed ​​sinking 12,000

The spindle speed, is manually selectable with a potentiometer.

I have to set to 24,000 or 15,000?

and the data I set at 24,000 or 15,000?

Currently is, with these settings the second table, the cut edges, leave a little 'bleed. The wood used is maple (hard wood, certainly more hard and compact plastic).

you could advise me of any value to be set?

the speed of affodamento should be the speed with which the axis z,

moves downward from the workpiece?

The material to be cut is maple and has a thickness of 2.5 mm.

Excuse me, and I thank you very much for all the help you give me.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 28, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Hey Marcus, welcome to the forum.  You will likely get more views and answers to your questions if you post it in the General Discussion board as a new topic.  Just copy and paste all of this into a new topic and name it "Advise needed, speed and feed in wood."

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #1673 on: February 28, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
Good morning, my name is Steve Seebold, and I call my company/hobby shop Mid Day Machining.

I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 Series II in my garage, and I love it.

I have had it since July 2011, and it is the absolute best thing I could have done for my retirement and my sanity.

I am the former owner of a real CNC machine shop where I had a Fadal 3016 and a Haas TM1 Toolroom Mill with a 5C 4th axis. Both were wonderful machines, but a trip to my doctor along with a quintuple bypass and aortic valve replacement caused me to take an early retirement.

My original plan was to work till I turned 70 then decide whether to retire or just slow down. I turned 63 while I was in the hospital, and after a surgery like that, I decided I no longer needed the stress of ownership. I sold the business in January 2008 and made a futile attempt at retirement.

Let me be the first to tell you, you don't go from working 14 hours a day to nothing and survive. I made it about 3 1/2 months and I was going absolutely crazy.

After about 3 1/2 years, I was sitting on my a$$ one Sunday afternoon watching some wotrhless crap on TV and my wife came to me and said "my neice is getting married in about 6 weeks so I'll make you a deal. If you'll wear a suit to her wedding I'll pull money out of savinga and get the machine you want. My machine arrived 4 days later.

I manufacture parts for remote control gasoline powered boats and cars in my garage, and I love it.

I use GibbsCam to program my machine and outside of a few edits I choose to make at the beginning and end of the program, it works flawlessly. I am confident enough with my GibbsCam, that I can draw a part, post process it, set the XY zero points and the tool heights, load the program, push cycle start and walk away from the machine.

Now, I have everything. I have a wonderful wife, a hobby/business I can work/play at whenever I want and I live in a place where we have sunshine 330 days a year.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 28, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum - wish I had a view like that from my workshop.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #1675 on: March 02, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
Hi All,
I'm an experienced manual machinist but completely new to CNC, I've just bought my first CNC mill (a commercial conversion of a small Rishton mill) and I'm about to jump in at the deep end and see if I can swim ;-)
I have everything up to the parallel cable and will be using my own PC and, of course, licensing Mach3 to run the mill.
You'll see from subsequent posts, or cries for help how I'm getting on ;-)
ATB,
Nick
« Reply #1676 on: March 02, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
Hi,

My name is savior and I'm a craftsman. I am writing to you from sicily Italy.
I am a guitar maker. Recently I switched from craftsmanship to the machine with CNC.
Now, should I set some information to the drills that I use on the original program Art cam 2012.
The program asks for some data, such as:
1) cutting speed
2) compression speed
3) step
4) step Z
cutters are HSS.
processing material: wood
diameters I use most are: end mill 2mm, 3mm, 6mm.
use the materials to be cut from 2.5 mm.
also use blocks of wood (maple, ash, lime), with 5 cm thick, which are processed and then profiled (cut).
my car has a Cnc spindle with 24,000 rev / min.
(The speed of the spindle, is manually selectable with a potentiometer).

you could be so kind, please, that I can give an example with a 2 mm drill, end mill, with a flute and a sharp, how would I get the data feed and feed tohth?

I found that cutting speed, then I would miss a help to know that data set for these cutters in the items:
feed, feed tooth.

What do you mean, feed per tooth?
how do I regulate me in different processes?

thank you very much
[/quote]
« Reply #1677 on: March 03, 2013, 02:16:17 AM »
Greetings all,
I have just started learning CNC. (NOOB!)

I bought a used RF30 and added a Wantai conversion kit, Smooth Stepper, Mach3.
I am using Alibre Design Pro for CAD and CamBam for CAM...
Still working out the kinks but it moves ;)

I own a very small Industrial Software/Automation Consulting company and want to start producing products instead...
My back ground is VB.net, C++, AB PLCs and industrial vision.

Hobbies: uumm to many to list.
Guns/Cars/Computers/Bagpipes... and so on.

Cheers
« Reply #1678 on: March 03, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
my name is carey im new to mach3 tryin to learn how to use a plasma table my main problem is cutting art sometimes in midle of cut torch will go out and program stops but i need to finish part and fix torch out problem later how do i tell mach to relight torch and finish cut ive read in manule about feed hold and reverse run but dose not explain how to use them need help thanks in advance
« Reply #1679 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
My name is Greg from here in West Virginia.  I have been machining for a long time, totally self taught from manual machines to full CNC.  I have a pretty good size machine shop in my work shop, and my home shop.  I have a Daewoo VMC with a fanuc, Trak DPM with a Prototrak AGE3, Cincinnati hydroshift lathe, Pratt whitney slotter, CNC plasma, shear and press brake at the house.  I have a 10 year old boy that enjoys the garage as much as I do, and we build and machine a lot of things together.  I use Mach 3 on my CNC plasma, along with sheetcam.  Thank You for the welcome and a very nice product that is pretty user friendly.