Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:37:29 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511350 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #1140 on: April 23, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
 ;D
Welcome aboard Paul, your married to a clever lady that knows that all boys need their toys,the general forum will be a tremendous help when it comes to "unleashing the potential of mach and Paul"

Dick  ;)

Offline Chief

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself before I started asking lots of simple questions.
My name is Terry May, I'm now retired, but my background is in US Naval aviation and system safety engineering.
I have been doing hobby and general puttering machining for a few years with manual machines, but I recently took the CNC plunge by buying a Tormach PCNC 1100.  I'v just had it for a couple of weeks and so am a true novice with CNC work, so I have lots of questions to ask.  I believe I will enjoy learning CNC and using MACH 3.  One minor issue I have already discovered is that the Tormach customized version of Mach 3 has lots of differences in the screens and some of the Mach 3 screens don't appear to be available. It's a little frustrating, because I'm attempting to use the video tutorals before I bug people with questions, but the screens are different in the tutorials and my version, so sometimes it's not as clear as I would like.

Terry
« Reply #1142 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
 ;D
Hi All welcome aboard,retirement can be an exciting time,If you have any questions as I'm sure you do.the members in the general forum will have the answers.happy machining  ???

Dick  ;)
« Reply #1143 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
Hi all, Just thought I'd drop a line and introduce myself.  I've already asked a couple of N00b questions in the general forum and received prompt, accurate and helpful replies.

When I started looking for an engraving machine, I had in mind a pantograph style device. (One aspect of a project at work requires more than 1300 engraved tags.) But I soon found that I could get a small CNC machine that was much less expensive and would do everything I needed and a lot more.  I've had the machine and the Mach3 software for a little over a week now and I've started turning out the engraved tags that were the reason why I purchased the whole thing in the first place.  But now I find myself interested in the possibilities that a small CNC machine opens up and wondering how else I can use it. 

This forum is full of amazing projects and very clever ideas.  Even though the majority of my use will be plain old boring tags, I'm sure I can work in some creative ways to use my new toy ... tool...  I mean Tool!

Dan
« Reply #1144 on: April 28, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
 ;D
Hi Dan welcome aboard, thank you for sharing your excitement with us if you check out the threads in the general forum I'm sure that you will find plenty of uses for this wondrous new passion,seek and you shall find. ???

Dick  ;D
« Reply #1145 on: April 30, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
Hi All

My name is Steve based in the UK and have found a new hobby , I recently bought a cnc router from a guy who built it and am in the process of learning.

The system has no safety or limit switches so I that is my first priority - learnt that one the hard way many years ago  :D

Looking around the documentation the manual shows the charge pump output going directly to a 7406 gate but Mariss
 at Gecko shows an input circuit to drive the relay that holds the power off to the motors until the PC is stable.

My first question is : will taking the charge pump output from Mach3 into the gate work on its own, if it does need Mariss' circuit where can i get an equivalent for the IRFL530 Mosfet as these do not appear to be available any more??

Hope you don't mind me asking in here but I have to find my way around the site yet.

Thanks in advance
Steve
« Reply #1146 on: April 30, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
 ;D
Hi Steve welcome aboard and it is a great hobby (passion) unfortunately this is only a introduction site,your questions should be addressed to the general forum,where I know that there is a lot of knowledge, that I'm sure the members will share

Dick  ;)
« Reply #1147 on: May 01, 2011, 06:02:58 AM »
thanks Dick  :)

toldya i was still learning  ;D
« Reply #1148 on: May 02, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »
Hi, its my first post although I have been using Mach 3 for a little time.

I have converted a Chinese round column mill/drill to CNC operation using NEMA 23 steppers (3.1NM torque).  I have encountered a problem with the X ais which I would be appreciative if someone could point the way to a solution.
I tried milling a 75 mm square with rounded corners by successively increasing the depth of cut.
It soon became apparent that the X axis position crept nearly 1 mm in the +ve.  direction with each successive cut, the size of the square remained reasonably constant.  The Y axis also kept position ok.
This indicated to me that the travel in the negative direction was less than the positive direction.
I then may a large number of measurements  to the x axis (cutting fresh air) using a range of feed speeds and accelerations these indicated that the positive travel was indeed greater than the negative travel.  I also tried varying the number of micro steps from 2 to 125 without any improvement.  Needless to say I eliminated any backlash as I reversed the travel by making a small initial movement  in the direction of travel before zeroing.  I also tightened and loosened the x axis jibs without it making much difference.
Below is a list of x-axis  measured travels.  The speed was 300mm per min. and acceleration of 50, the microsteps for this exercise was 10.

Mach 3 X reading mm         +ve travel mm         -ve travel mm
50.00               49.96            49.51
10.00               9.84            9.82
10.00               9.90            9.69
10.00               9.96            9.72
5.00               5.03            4.90
5.00               4.88            4.89
15.00               14.97            14.71
15.00               14.71            14.69
20.00               19.78            19.36
20.00               19.94            19.36
2.00               1.98            1.85
« Reply #1149 on: May 02, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
 ;D
Hi Ennech welcome aboard unfortunately this is only a introduction site,but if you you post your questions to the general forum site I'm sure that they will share their knowledge with you.

Dick  ;)