Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:30:21 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511342 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2007, 07:09:42 PM »
Hello Folks
        My name is Alonzo. I am new to cnc. and forums,  and ask for your patience while I learn my way around. I am 61 years old, and
have spent the last 40 years as a brick mason. I have allways had an intrest in woodworking,but my trade and it's physical demands left
little time or energy for it. I had a bad hip for years,and bought some woodworking tools(table saw,band saw,router,drill press etc.)
knowing that my bricklaying time was getting short. After a hip replacement I now have the time. Now for the reason that brings me
here. I would like to learn cnc to use in my hobby woodworking shop. I would like to learn to run MACH3 ( installed)in simulator mode.
Any help pointing me in the right direction for setting up,configuring,and running will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alonzo
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2007, 04:58:04 AM »
Hi ny name is Phil am have just been converted to Mach Jeez i can't how good this is but you already know that.

Anyway i am based in the UK and started life out as a toolmaker although i haven't been in the trade for about 24 years.

As manufacturing is dying in the UK it means machinery is reasonably priced and over a period of time i have built up a comprehensive workshop.

Mostly my machinery is old and solidly made although i have a far eastern made mill CNCed and a metal cutting bandsaw up to 8" dia.

So i will no doubt be here from time to time picking your brains.

I have already been in touch with Art by email and boy what a helpful guy.

Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »
Hey everybody!
I am as new to all of this as new can be, but I have just purchased my first hobby CNC machine and now just bought a registeration for Mach3. I know absolutely nothing about any of this, but I learn quick. I think I'll do more reading than posting for a while, just know I'm here and paying attention.

Ken
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »
Hi yall, I'm new, Had my router ( 5X 10') 2 weeks ago. I love this addition to my sign shop and hope to get some R/C projects underway this coming winter !!!

Dan !
A good day starts with how you see it....

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:15 AM »
Just wanted to stop and introduce myself. My name is Dave and I'm extremely new to anything CNC based. I've been a manual machinist in a manual based prototyping shop for about 24 years now , and yes, I've been in the dark ages all this time and finally wanted to learn CNC on my own. Just bought a Taig micromill 3000 to get started and I'll be using Mach 3 with XP pro on a Dell D600 laptop.

I've already encountered my first worry though. I've read that the printer port on the laptop may not be enough voltage for the connection to the control box but I can't find any info through Dell to actually know the actual voltage that it has. If anyone has any info, it would surely be appreciated.

I look forward to being here and leaning from all of you and in time, hopefully I can contribute in some way.

Thanks in advance-

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2007, 07:59:07 AM »
Hi all my name is Steve I'm in Licolnshire in the UK i have just joined the group, I'm a retired pilot who's now into flying model aircraft of all types from electric to gas turbine, i also have a big interest in PC,s lathes and mills , so i have decided for this years winter project to convert my supper lux mill to cnc, so far i have most of all the components apart from my interface PCB which as gone a stray in the post. But so far i have converted my vertex vH8 to Cnc (rotary table) using a nema34 size
stepper home made mounts and converted the shaft to take thrust bearings in side the table,, as you can guess I'm no the worlds best with text i do suffer from dyslexia so your will have to forgive me for getting things wrong.
any ways next up is converting the axis to ballscrews but I'm sitting in poorly at the mo so its back to reading all i can find on making these type of conversion
Steve

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »
Welcome Steve,
     You'll get along just fine. Lots of good people here to help.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Hello :)
My name is Fred, I live in Quebec, I work for machine tool repair and service corp
I am Heidenhain and acurite dealer
I had build My first mach2 CNC machine 2 year ago, It was cincimatic boring mill that I control with mach2 with touch screen
I was keep spindle quill conventional with linear scale, and i had 4 axes cnc ( XYZ and rotary table )
after 2 year, my machine run very good

tank
fred

Offline Al

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
Hello, My name is Al,

I recently purchased a CNC Mill/Drill with a rotary table. 

The purpose is to learn CNC operations on this unit and then I will add a Large format CNC router.

Hope to chat with some of the members soon

"""just a footnote..I love that this forum has a spell checker, because without I would sound like a blithering idiot :-) ... But I do find it amusing that the spell checker does not recognize "CNC"  :-)"""

Do it today! Tomorrow is Unknown
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »
Hi all
my name is Holger. I'm living in Germany, building and piloting model airplanes, especially control line planes but also R/C, model yachts and milling by my self-constructed CNC mill since 2002.
My machine is a 1100mm(X)x660mm(Y)x150mm(Z) portal mill with a Proxxon driven spindle. Control is by Ostermann's (NC-step) electronic (Step3D plus extension+relais board & optocoupler board). Software was up to now PCNC DOS version. That's why I'm used to Keyboard shortcuts and HPGL data.
Materials I'm working withs are wood (balsa to mahagony) mostly, but also plastic and alu. As electronics takes a great slot of my hobbies also drilling+milling of PCBs is done by the mill.
Due to the loss of the next floppy drive due to dust in the workshop I looked around for a state of the art software replacement using common OS and LAN functionality. My choice after testing several available programs was to order Art's MACH3. I'm convinced by the open, flexible user interface and the great community around.
So far the first parts are milled by my new MACH3, I'm becoming more and more familiar with it and in my imagination there are already the first helpful things under construction: Jogging wheel, web cam for positioning when drilling PCBs (hardware already mounted).

Meanwhile I determined some problems. May be this comes from lack of experience or lack of some hints how to do. I'll use this forum to ask those things.

Let me apologize just now if I ask things handled by older threads here. I'm new here and I'm not a native Englisch speaker, so I may miss some phrases to search for. Please direct me to the proper threads then. Thank you and happy milling!

Regards
Holger
 :)