Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:46:38 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511323 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2740 on: April 30, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
HI;
My name is Graham and I am an Engineering Electronics Technologist by trade.  I am also very strong in mechanical design and fabrication as well.  My hobbies are Electronics (all disciplines), Auto mechanics, making stuff and RC aircraft.

Over the years I have been collecting machine tools to be able to fabricate parts to feed my hobbies.  I acquired a mini-mill many years ago and was satisfied to count spindle clicks to make my parts as tedious as it was.  A fried of mine gave me a his BobCad software that he did not use any more.  Unlike my other mechanical design software that I have used, BobCad generates g-code tailored to a specific machine. With parts from the local recycle shop, I built a CNC controller out of an old computer chassis with an industrial mini computer as the heart.  I installed the steppers and wire it all up and the system has been working great for many years now with only the occasional g-code problem.

I will post this problem in the general section as I am sure that it should not be posted here.
« Reply #2741 on: May 08, 2020, 06:28:40 AM »
Hi I am brand new and in a mess it appears, I bought myself a kit some years ago that contained TB6600 stepper motor driver board and stepper motors which according to the literature only needed Mach 3 to have the system run

Thanks to the shut down I have 3 d printed myself a table and gone about installing the steppers and boards, downloaded Mach 3  followed the youtube video but when I get to the point of testing in driver test.exe I get the "no driver sensed installed. Run Driver test."

I know I have only just joined but I do want to make this table move so any guidance would be really appreciated

PS the video was from 2014 and I am running win 10

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 08, 2020, 06:36:08 AM »
Hi ddvdickson,

Welcome.

If your TB6600 board is driven by the Parallel Port then it needs a 32bit PC and cannot be run using Win10. You need to either change your OS to Win7 (or earlier) or else get an external motion controller.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2743 on: May 14, 2020, 06:38:51 AM »
Hi All, Just getting into CNC systems in the UK. My first project I'm hoping to make is a 6 axis gantry system to pick up components. It looks like it's possible to write your own g code to drive the gantry to the location you would like is that correct on Mach 3?
« Reply #2744 on: May 17, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
George Martin here. 
Thanks go the group.  BSEE 1969.  It's so old it says DC only on my degree.
Retired Embedded Systems designer.  Used to do it all Electrical design, PCB artwork and coding in C mostly.

Now just cutting tools out of plastic.  Just as hard.  Changes seem to keep coming.
Living in Mimbres New Mexico.  Off the grid.  Pure solar.

Thanks for the support.
« Reply #2745 on: May 18, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
Hi guys

Naeem here from South Africa
Got a cnc plasma a guy built for me few years back, been always using the site for info and issues but came to a point where I will have to post and ask for help lol

Glad to be here  ;D
« Reply #2746 on: June 10, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »
Quote from: chad
So stand up and say hi!!  Thanks

Hi!!
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've just joined because I am starting to plan a CNC router table build (my first).  Now putting the pieces together (in my head) before putting the pieces together (in the shop).  I have used NC's before but most of my time on mill and lathe have been on manual machines with nothing more complicated than a DRO.  I have a lot of projects that would be a lot more interesting with a CNC router table and I'm getting ready to take the plunge.  This isn't a daunting project for me, having supported an engineering prototyping shop for 12 years with a wide range of manufacturing capabilities.  Those days are gone and I guess this is how I want to get back into the game, so to speak.

To get started, the big question is: How big?  I have enough material to make a table 4'x8' or larger, opening the door to a very large number of sheet-metal fabrication projects with stock aluminum sheet.  But that table size implies I can also set up the motion controls that are that big.  The costs rise quickly if I'm too ambitious.  Has anyone shared their DIY project costs for that size of router table?

Controllers:  I like what I see from PMDX.  Any reason for caution with that choice?

Drivers: Is Gecko the obvious first choice are there other contenders?

Motors: For this size of machine is it safe to say that a NEMA 34 is too small, or has this been successfully used to move a 4' wide gantry?  Can the driver/controller combination above be used to drive 2 motors in sync?

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
« Reply #2747 on: June 25, 2020, 05:03:15 AM »
Morning !!
Newbie here just signed up ....
UK based from Yorkshire ....
 I have a large semco mill that I am running on Mach 4 with an AXBB_E controller All going well apart from a small glitch every now and then !!!
Just looking for the correct place for some support, any pointers would help this old man ...
Cheers
Nige

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 26, 2020, 01:17:39 AM »
Hi Nige,

Welcome.

Just post any questions you may have in the Mach4 General section https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?board=94.0

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2749 on: July 29, 2020, 10:32:05 PM »
Greetings all,

My name is Bill, I have been assembling a AVID CNC crp4824 in my basement for a small furniture and fabrication business I run. I am an electrical engineer and university lecturer in my normal life but am obsessed with CNC machines. I ran an older Shapeoko2 machine for about five years and outgrew it. I am trying to get Mach4 setup but having some troubles.

Thanks