Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:49:41 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4525004 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2830 on: May 06, 2023, 05:29:05 AM »
Hi
I purchased a Boss 4x8 cnc, distributed by Lone Star Cutting Solutions.
It's all most 10 years old runs on Mach3.
I wanting to replace the computer.
Just started looking most I see are running
64 bit windows.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Jim
Jim, if you are using the parallel port I would suggest that you upgrade the PC to a WIN10 or 11 machine, a "mini" type has plenty of power, and get a new motion controller with either an Ethernet or USB connection.  No modern PCs use the parallel port any more.  I moved from an old Dell XP machine to an almost new Dell mini and replaced the parallel port connection with a UC100 from CNCDrive. https://cncdrive.com/  This just connects to a USB port on the PC and is all contained in a DB25 plug housing that goes straight into the breakout board "parallel port" socket.  I installed Mach 3 on the computer, copied across the xml config file and license file from the old PC, and it just worked.  I am very happy with the UC100 for my purposes, many here would recommend an Ethernet connected motion controller.   

Offline ROG66

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: June 15, 2023, 10:16:56 AM »
Hello, my name is Ralph in MN with ROG as a nickname. I cut my teeth on a B&S single spindle automatic screw machine in the late '70s. I did a short stint with CNC that used a ticker tape before parting ways for my career in print and computers...

The tooling experience has carried me through decades of countless DIY projects...

Last year a "friend" told me of an auction that had an Atlas Craftsman 36" lathe. A 60's vintage in great shape. Since I still had my machinist toolbox with mic's, calipers and indicators, I snapped it up...after purchasing a small band saw 6 mos later, I realized a mill was "the missing link"...so I started researching, searching, shopping and after countless hours of reading, I decided on a Matthews PM-727 mill with DRO...

I priced it out with all the goodies and got a pit in my gut... I needed more time to justify... I was about to order new as they're on a 5 month B/O and I just happened to look on Marketplace and found a 1.5 yo PM-727 complete with CNC and most of my list of goodies for 20% less than what I was going to order...

I brought it home late April... I fabricated a stand, got it mounted and placed in shop. I am putting the finishing touches on the electronics box and am in the process of figuring out the home switches...

The only exposure I have is the 20 minute demo I got prior to purchase...GOOD GAWD, what was I thinking? I must be a masochist at best...lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:23:06 AM by ROG66 »
« Reply #2832 on: July 11, 2023, 03:58:38 PM »
Hi Folks

Thought that I'd best say hello now that I've signed up.

I've built and converted a few machines over the years but now I'm back to the start with my latest project.
  • My first build was a small CNC router running Mach3. I still have it and it still works (at least 10 years later).
  • Next 'project' was a conversion of a CNC lathe which I used a standalone CNC controller (a Gunt). I used servos on that build and I cursed everything about it for about 3 months until I finally got everything to talk to everything else. I also still have that and it also still works.
    • Then came the CNC mini-mill conversion. Learning from the previous experience I went for Mach 4 and an ESS. Again, still got that and it still works (to be fair, it is newish)
    • Finally, my latest project. A CNC Plasma Table. Luckily someone else has done all of the hard work. It is running Mach3 with a generic BOB and a Razordance THC. I've only had the axis moving with Mach. Not tried the plasma part yet as I need some info on the serial connection from the THC (a simple, do I plug it in question).
        So, nice to meet fellow geeks!
« Reply #2833 on: October 19, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »
Hi all, my name is Jim from Brisbane, Australia. I have been using an AccTeK, AKG6090 CNC router/mill for about 6 years and have produced many carvings during that time. My machine was previously controlled using Mack3 and have just recently decided to implement Mack4 (software and USB control card). This change has turned into a nightmare task (for me anyway), but I am getting there. I have been programming and using an IBM "luggable" computer (supposedly portable) ever since the days of MS DOS and assembler programming. Over the years (yes, I am an old codger) I have programmed in about 12 different programming languages and am now trying to come to grips with LUA, which will be my last, I hope. One thing I have learnt over the years is that these days there is a terrible lack of documentation. Yes, I know it is supposed to be "easily found" on the web but it is not up to the standard of what I am used to ... hard copy in things we used to call "BOOKS". Anyway, enough of my ranting I have to print out a few .PDF files and turn them into a book with print large enough for me to read. Happy CNCing to you all and we may meet again online. One day I'll get around to attach my image to my profile so you can throw darts at it when I say something you don't like.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: October 19, 2023, 09:12:14 AM »
 :)

Welcome to the forum Fordtman
PEACE
« Reply #2835 on: February 02, 2024, 03:19:53 PM »
Hello all My name is Chris, I am a kind of a self taught person and want to learn cnc I had been using mach3 years back and then life hit and we moved and then kids and so on, I am getting back into cnc though and went ahead and pulled the trigger on mach4 as the machine that mach3 was had a catastrophic fail and tring all the work arounds for setting up a LPT port machine seemed like something that is on its last legs, so new setup is a win 10 pc with smooth stepper and the old sxcnc 6040z control box, I had this unit working fairly well before we moved but now I am having some issues just getting it set up in mach4 and all but I wil be searching the forum before asking anything that may have been answered a half dozen times before. thank all and cheers.