Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:44:58 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511357 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2250 on: February 19, 2016, 02:19:55 AM »
I've decided to make the move to Mach3, and I'm already a little frustrated. I can fire up Mach2, go to the Motor tuning page, and all is good. I got to mach3, where I have enabled the lpt1 port, and then to the motor tuning page, and I can't get a motor to move. So I guess this is an intro, and a plead for help.. I've watched a few intros, and thought I'd read the manual, but..... here I am... lost... 

Welcome to the forum.

If you post your question as a New Topic I am sure it will get many answers / suggestions as to resolving the problem.

Could be that the Ports and Pins (Step and Direction) are not set correctly or that one or more enable signals are required.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2251 on: February 19, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply Tweakie. could this be resolved with a parallel port card? if so, any particular type?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: February 20, 2016, 01:18:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply Tweakie. could this be resolved with a parallel port card? if so, any particular type?

Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:

Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2253 on: February 20, 2016, 04:31:57 AM »
so mach3 will not work with 64bit  windows 7, no matter what?

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: February 20, 2016, 05:01:09 AM »
W7 64 bit will not work when you use the parallel port, it will work however if you use a motion controller via USB

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: February 20, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »
so mach3 will not work with 64bit  windows 7, no matter what?

Requirements if using an external motion device for machine control:

An appropriate external motion controller such as Warp9 Smooth Stepper or similar
Desktop or Laptop with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2256 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:53 AM »
Hello all. I'm new to the hobby. I have a Grizzly G0704 and I'm converting it next weekend. Looking forward to learning from you and making some cool parts.

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: February 25, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »
IK2J,

Here is a similar size lathe I converted.  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11537.0.html 
Good luck with your project.
« Reply #2258 on: March 03, 2016, 09:31:19 AM »
Hi, Mike Johnson here from Northern Illinois. I built my own CNC from scratch, then purchased a kit from CNC routerparts for a larger more robust cnc. My computer recently crashed so I am currently installing necessary software again. I need help with which version of Mach to install. I purchased a license for Mach 3 several years ago, and now notice there is a Mach 4 hobby version. Would there be any advantage to switching or continue to use Mach 3? Sorry, probably not the place in this forum to ask this question, but I'm at least looking for a thread that would discuss this. Thanks, and this site has a wealth of info. Mike

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: March 03, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »
Hi Mike,

Welcome.

As you already have a Mach3 license then I would use Mach3 for the time being. The preferred version is R3.043.062 and it can be downloaded from the Mach3/ folder on the FTP site here http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/

You can also download the latest version of Mach4 from here http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/#tabs-2 it is free to try and you can have it loaded on the same PC and compare one against the other perhaps.

Tweakie.
PEACE