Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:10:36 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511597 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #1470 on: May 23, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
   ;D
Hi welcome aboard, thank you for dropping by and introducing yourself, It's always nice if you can get the most use out of your equipment, as this is the introduction site, all questions should be addressed through the General Mach Discussion
area where I'm sure you will get the answers to your questions.

Regards

Dick   ;)  
« Reply #1471 on: May 24, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »
Hello,

My name is Bill Moll and I've been building guitars professionally for almost 45 years however, not using CNC, as many of my contemporaries do. I'm also a half-a$$ed hobby machinist and gunsmith which gives me a change of pace once in a while, but I enjoy doing that the old fashion way as well - at the lathe and mill. I've never had anything "against" using NC for either endeavor - except for the costs, and the learning curve. :-)

Well, one of my gunsmithing projects has now turned into a product. Tolerances must be very, very tight however, so I have contracted with an outside CNC shop to produce some of the parts for me. I will engrave my own logo, model, and serial numbers though, and have bought a copy of Mach3 to see if I can get my stodgy old brain around all of this. The "tutorials" that came with my software - "getting started easy with Mach3", had nothing to do with learning how to use the program, only getting your steppers, ports, and boards configured correctly. (help)

I understand that "Lazy-cam" will convert a .dxf file into G code but, all I have the ability to produce are .jpg's, .tiff's, .bmp's, etc. I've committed myself to learning this stuff thoroughly as time allows, but I need to get up to speed on the "simple" engraving work as soon as I can. Any, and all, help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for being here - I now plan to do a lot of reading!

Bill
« Reply #1472 on: May 25, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »
   ;D
Hi Bill welcome aboard, thanks for dropping by and introducing your self, I like your concept if they don't like your guitars,you'll shoot them,might work for people that don't pay their bills to. :)
This is purely a introduction site,but if you brows the General Mach Discussion area, accessible from this page, and post your questions there. That is where the guys with all the answers hang out,your never to old to learn, commitment is the key ingredient, never be embarrassed to ask questions, nobody came onto this earth knowing everything, as I'm sure that when you become proficient,you will pay back by helping others.we do have many guitar makers in the group and gunsmiths too
Regards
Dick  ;)          
« Reply #1473 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »
Hello all. My name is Dan and I just purchased a CNC kit. I have never used a CNC machine but we have several at work. I am a Systems Administrator and have worked with the PC's built into the CNC's. We use Mastercam 5.
As I am new to CNC's, I am sure I will have a lot of questions. I have been reading up on the Mach3 software and trying to learn as much as I can. I just purchased my CNC last night and it should be delivered in the next week or two. It is a 24"x24" bed with a 4.5" Z-axis. It uses a stationary bed with a mobile gantry.
I have no immediate plans on what I will be doing with it but will be doing some wood carving, plastic cutting, and maybe some aluminum trimming. I will add more as the need arises.

My first question is the use of a laptop. I have read a few posts that have said that it won't work. I have several newer PC's but they are all 64-bit OS's and no parallel port. I have an older laptop running 32-bit XP. Ideally I would like to use that. I am not sure what ports it has but I will check it when I get home.

Also, I am located just north of Pittsburgh, PA, U.S.

Dan
« Reply #1474 on: May 25, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »
   ;D
Hi Dan welcome aboard,thank you for dropping by and introducing your self, a word of warning CNC is very addictive and once started down this path you will wonder how you survived without it,truly a consuming hobby.
This is purely an introduction site, all questions should be addressed to the General Mach Discussion area and brows the threads and post all your questions there, everybody that joins brings something with them, you may find that you will be able to assist, just by asking questions it may well help others.

Regards

Dick   ;)   
« Reply #1475 on: May 25, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
Regards
Nick
« Reply #1476 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Bert

I am in the proccess of building a water jet. an looking for feedback from others.

Did yow get success with your building.

I would appreciate your comments. 
« Reply #1477 on: May 28, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
hi everyone,
My name is Joe a total nubby. Ive never done anything like this, but Im very proud of my progress.
I built a DIY Solsylva based with dual x leadscews with belt driven drive. Using 425 oz. motors for z, and y.
It seems to work which gave some excitement. I hope I can count on all of you for advice.
« Reply #1478 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
Hi, My name is John and I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Just got a cheap china cnc3020.  I plan to use it for engraving and to make some small parts, once I figure out how to use it. New to this cnc thing, but it can't be that hard! I will probably ask a bunch of stupid questions, if I cant find it the forum. I have everything set up and working except for the spindle motor( should I have actually expected the whole thing to work?) The forum looks great, I'm sure I'll get the info needed to become proficient.
« Reply #1479 on: May 31, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »
Rockster,
As Ive been told no question is stupid, your issue may be someoneelses issue. All I can say is this has been a very educational process . I have found when you come to an impass, walk away for a day or two. When you come back, things may look different.
Good luck on your machine