Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:44:56 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511501 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #970 on: December 07, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »
My name is Mike . Im in Sacramento,Ca . Im getting ready to get a LittleMachineShop SX2 and convert it to cnc . I plan on using Mach3 . Havent yet decided weather or not to go with steppers or servos . I am a 14 year veteran lathe machinist . I have lots I want to learn and many projects to start . Multi axis machining and 3d machining is only the beginning . I look forward to input to my future questions . I am sure there will be many questions . This will be my first conversion . A lathe will be next .
'I'm a Legend in my Own Mind'
« Reply #971 on: December 08, 2010, 06:19:46 PM »
Hi,
My name is Bernie and I live in New Zealand. I'm certainly not new - staring down the barrel of retirement! I am however, new to CNC, having left the handwheels many years ago in favour of an airconditioned office and a PC running CAD.

I have spent most of my working life as a product and tool designer, but as retirement beckons, I need good reason to be occupied in the sanctity of my home workshop. My hobby is fixing things and restoring old fizz boats. As parts for these boats have long been obsolete, I intend to make them.

With limited lifespan left the plan is to spend less time standing beside my old universal mill turning the wheels and more time with my grandsons. I am hoping CNC conversion of my old mill will eventually achieve this. After some research on the net, I decided to go with Mach3, as there appears to be many satisfied users out there. I'm sure there will be many things to find out so its good that such knowledgeable people such as those on this forum are available to point me in the right direction. (Fingers crossed!)

Bernie

Offline ALR

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 12, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
Hello everyone. 

This isnt my first post but I am new to the forum.  My son and I are building a CNC router to be used in building guitars.  I have been a wood working hobbyist most o fmy life and have some programming skills but very little experience with the electronics side of computers.

We are in the Nashville, TN area.  I am very excited about CNC routing and anxious to get my machine cutting and learning how to use Mach3 and CAD software.

:) ALR
« Reply #973 on: December 17, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
Hi,

I just started learning how to use MACH3.  Hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep.  First started building CNC controls in the early 80's by disassembling Commodore 64 computers, using the boards as control computers in machine controls.  At the time, PLC's were just starting out and cost thousands of dollars.  Machine controls have come a long way!!!!!  I'm interested in retrofitting sewing systems and will be using MACH 3 as the controller and  Ajax servo kit as the axis hardware.

As an aside I could use some advice on how to design customized screens that are more suitable to my application.  The basic mill screen has more information and detail than I need.  Any help to get me started would be appreciated.......
New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #974 on: December 18, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »
Hi, I'm a newb to the forum and slowly working my way through the mountains of info. I am currently building a 10 x 5 plasma table with pipe rotating facility. This is also going to double as a router table so the decision was made to go for servo drives as we also need high speed very accurate plasma cuts aswell.  I've only got as far as building the basic table in Solidworks and will post up the drawings as soon as it's finished I have a very basic understanding of cnc having only used an old prototrak xy mill. I have the demo versions of Mach and sheetcam and have run some simple cuts using imported dxfs, so I am happy with that side. My only thing is I can't seem to find much on setting up servos with Mach, does anyone have any links ? Love the forum and hope to be able to give some back in the near future.

Offline KHK

•  2 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 20, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
Hello to All!  My name is Keith and I have built a CNC from scratch, it is a small table 24 x 18 in. I use it for Plasma and Routing  I use Mack3 software.   I have a lot to learn about Mack3 and CNC.
Keith
« Reply #976 on: December 22, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
Name is Bill. New to CNC. Had a manual shop made up of old equipment that nobody wanted and had to give it up when I retired. I am now a desk top mechanist whom doesn't know much.

Offline gary22

•  16 16
  • Back to the Man Cave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 24, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
Hello all.
My name is Gary and I was a machinist by trade, now they have me driving a desk...
I am stuck up in Alaska and during the long cold winters I needed an indoor project to keep me out of trouble so I decided to build a CNC Router.

I am in the finish stages of building this contraption and have come upon an issue that I have not been able to resolve. (I am sure due to my lack of knowledge in electronics).

The machine is a gantry router with dual X motors. I purchased a Logitrol 5 axis controller which works fine if connected directly to the parallel port. I wanted to have a breakout board to give me some more options so I bought a C23 BOB from CNC4PC and installed it between the PC and the Logitrol driver (uses Geckos). I understood that the signals should pass through the board uninterupted, however I cant get anything to move when the board is in the mix.

If anyone has had any experience with this board I would greatly appreciate some input.

« Reply #978 on: December 26, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
I am so new at this I'm not even sure I am posting.  I am working with a colleague to build a CNC drill.  Everything is new but fascinating.
« Reply #979 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
Hey everyone,
       I'm writing this after getting up at 5:00am and it's quarter till 12:00am now, so bare with me if I ramble. I've been toying with the idea of getting into machining for about two years. I love to be able to make things that actually work. I've read here and there on the internet about some machining, CNC, and CAD/CAM programming. Right now I'm researching purchasing a Mill. I've looked at Harbor Freight and have read and heard both good and bad things about there milling machines. Just to give you an idea the things that I will be using it for are model helicopter parts, an engraving vise and air tool. and other various things. I wouldn't be doing any heavy duty milling, and am purchasing this one due to work space and money limitations. The price is about $600.00 if you guys have better suggestion in that price range, I would love to hear them. I thought about a Smithy 1220 machine but that will have to wait until next year. Thanks for any help. cmmachinist.