Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:53:30 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511443 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2370 on: November 30, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
Hi there, Im John. I live in Vancouver wash. I work as a Industrial maintenance mechanic. Ive worked for the same company for 33 years, The last 22 in Maintenance. Ive always wanted to learn cnc plasma cutting and finally decided on this machine. I have a kit I assembled without much help from the guy who sells it on ebay. Im really excited to be a part of this forum and am looking forward to sharing and learning as I go. My cnc table is a 4x4 aluminum extrusion frame with ball screws and thk style bearings and guide rails for the x, y and z axis. I got an old desktop computer thats running xp and installed Mach 3. I started up the program and configured the pins and ports and am trying to tune the motors. I have two motors for the y axis and one for the x axis across the gantry. One smaller motor for the z. All stepper motors. I have the motors moving. one of the y axis motors moves fast and normal but the other one is way slow. The x axis motor is slow also. The two y axis motors are wired together and are controlled by the same pins. As you can see I would love any comments pointing me in the right direction. Supposedly this manufacturer has many up and running. You can see ebay pics under sellers name mkesner1957.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: December 01, 2016, 05:39:42 AM »
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

There is plenty of reading to do here on the forum as well as the Mach3 manuals http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Just one thing comes to mind - it is not best practice to have two stepper motors wired together, they should really each be wired separately (with their own controllers) then 'slaved' to operate as a pair. The Mach3 manual gives more details of this.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2372 on: December 08, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
My name is Henry Miller,"jack of all trades and master of nothing"I live in southern Arizona,USA.I am new to CNC although I have installed an CNC lathe for a company I used to work for years ago. Worked on all sorts of mills and lathes in my life. Currently I am a part time Union Millwright and A Project superintendent for a construction company in southern Arizona.
I have wanted a cnc plasma table for a while and recently decided to build one.
« Reply #2373 on: December 09, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »
Hey Everyone.

First off, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed posts to this forum. While I am a new member to the forum, I have been reading a lot of the posts for the past few months as I have been building my own machine and they have proved to be a valuable collection of knowledge and tech advice. I just purchased my Mach 4 license as I just got my system set up and decided it would be a good idea to join the forum. I have learned so much and would love to be able to help other newbies out as I was helped out.

I live in the NW corner of the continental US and work part time as a general contractor building/remodeling homes, and part/full time in the State Legislature. This design/build has been a great learning experience as well as a good mental break from politics. I have an Associates degree in Electronic Technologies, but it had been years since I had done anything largely related so it was good to stretch those muscles again and dust out the mental cobwebs.

Part of the project was to challenge myself and see if I could build one, the second part was to have a tool to design potential products or experiments or concepts. My original design specs were to be able to handle a 4x8 sheet with 6" clearance. After reading many of the "I wish I had knowns" I decided to jump in with both feet and go big or go home. I'm a perfectionist so it also had to look professional, or at least as professional as a home-build can look with nothing more than a drill press, chopsaw, table saw and skilsaw. That and a borrowed Harbor Freight wire feed welder, Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist and AliExpress. I set the budget for around $5-6,000 and am right around there though I lost count with all the random screws and other misc parts.

Offline jon b

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:17 AM »
Hi all the names Jon I have a 35 year background in the Joinery trade I recently took the decision to wind down a little and always wished to start setting up my own cnc , I have a basic knowledge of the various software I will use but hope to find the answers here when I get stuck .
oh well heres to a new hobby and possibly my retirement fund
measure twice cut once !! so why is my bin always full
« Reply #2375 on: December 17, 2016, 10:02:37 AM »
Hello - It's my first time on...

I have a Pilot Pro and I have it all set up.   I just want to jog my motors and cant seem  to get the RESET button to go OFF..

I've unplugged all the limit switches from the UC-100 breakout board.

I'm sure its a software switch.

Jeff Brunot
Marietta Georgia
« Reply #2376 on: December 28, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm building my first CNC and need help! So thought I'd say a quick hello. I've been building computers the past 20 years and in the last 12 months have been getting into 3d printing. 3d printing takes forever! I work for Visyboard full time as a printer and box maker and love to tinker in my spare time.

From Michael

« Reply #2377 on: January 02, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Hi,
My name is Roger I am very new got a 3aixs machine about 3 months ago.Learning Mach3 gcode and bob-cam some times mind bending. I was just looking for something to do both kids grown dont just want to set here . Seeing what I can do with a cnc engraver look interesting.

« Reply #2378 on: January 03, 2017, 05:58:51 AM »
Welcome Roger.
Enjoy the journey.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2379 on: January 03, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
Hello!! My name is Hugh. Looks like a great and informative community here.  New user of a China 3040 3 axis cnc router. I know not the best, but just for hobby use.
Building a computer to control this machine. From what I have read I need a parallel port and external video card as some of the g codes will be larger.
Mostly using this machine for some engraving work. Problem is, I am trying to start up with an older computer that I have and build a permanent computer for this machine in the near future.
The computer I am trying to use is an older Dell that I used for a HTPC before that was common.
Can I move the licence for mach3 from machine to machine with out issue? Removing from older machine first of course.
Any input on this would be great. Really glad to be here, I have a lot of reading to do.