Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:48:38 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511401 times)

Hi all
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
My name is Lindsay (it is a man's name by the way.) I'm fairly new.
I've done lots of stuff. My last paying job was doing estimates for a drilling- blasting company then I got laid off, before that I was a product designer at Volvo Construction Equipment.
Now I live in a small town in cottage country in Central Ontario - my home town - not as a transplanted tourist.
I built a CNC router and would like to make a living at that. However as soon as I got it up and running, people started wanting things built or fixed. So right now I spend most my time doing renovations for people as my source of income.
I'm a Mech. Eng. Technologist and anything related to CNC, I learned on the side or bugged other people for information.
I used to be able to program a bit in VB, but forgot all that. Tried Python (why?). So now I admit I can't progam 'Hello world' in any language.
Built a few cnc machines. Moved from steppers to servos. Maybe when the construction market slows down, I'll have my machine doing exactly what I want and I'll be poised like a leopard to be a router mogul.
Use Mach 3 mostly and am mucking around a bit with some DOS and Linux interpreters. I have Rhino and some other CAD software.
My only advice....make sure the blue smoke stays inside the electrical doodads.
Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
Hello, all!

My name is Patrick Mullarky...Pat, usually...

I've been on this forum and CNCZone for a while, but I thought I'd introduce myself so you all will know that I'm not just a lot o' Malarkey  ;D

My day job is electronic product design, specializing in microporcessor and FPGA embedded designs. Been doing electronics since before there *were* microprocessors and FPGAs...and a good deal before that! ...would you belive vacuum tube designs?...

I've been into metalworking since I was a youngster. I got started in a Jr. High Metal Shop, where the teacher was excellent. I eventually got to operate every machine in the shop...and since been doing metalwork off and on for over fifty years.

Since my day job is electronics, I naturally gravitated to CNC.

My usual shopwork involves restoring old machine tools...or elderly microscopes...sort of the big and the little of it all.

Lessee...my shop at the moment:

Bridgeport 2J with Acu-Rite MillPWR CNC
South Bend 10L Toolroom Model lathe
Bridgeport (!) 12x6 Surface Grinder
Really cheap Enco 4x6 Bandsaw...been cutting metal with it for a decade without trouble...
New 8x14 Lathemaster Lathe in the process of being CNC'd
Totally(!) redesigned and rebuilt MAXNC 10 mini CNC mill
Small home-brew 12"x12" table top CNC Router
A good complement of grinders, a small press, a buffer, etc., etc.
A gazillion (technical term) hand tools and measuring tools

I'm using Mach3 on the little MAXNC and the Router, and I will also be using it on the Lathemaster 8x14 lathe.

Finally, I think Art and Brian have done an absolutely amazing job of producing Mach3. I don't know how they do it. Program design, coding, debugging, writing excellent manuals, producing really excellent how-to videos, responding ever-politely to a continuous blizzard of forum activity and emails...it is an awsome performance!

Patrick Mullarky
Kirkland, WA

There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going.
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 11:49:42 AM »
Hi,
My name is Bertho Boman, originally from Sweden, but I have been living in S. Florida for decades.
I am in the process of converting a Bridgeport style mill to CNC but I needed a CNC mill for some
business projects and ran out of time so I bought the Taig MicroMill DSLS 3000 and MeshCAM.

I also have a Universal 60W CO2 laser that I am interested in controlling with Mach-3.

My main business is electronic product design and I am using the equipment for creating prototypes.

My website is: www.vinland.com
Bertho

Offline ardor

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007, 05:45:32 PM »
Well I am a newby as well. Due to budget restrictions in education here in Michigan I am looking at building a CNC Router style mill although I would call it a gantry type. So here I am researching my options and they look really good. I am not considering retrofitting a machine but rather using extruded alluminium as a frame and taking it from there. Any ideas or feedback on the easy way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
                My back ground has been in manufacturing since i was apprenticed in England at the grand old age of sixteen. Made it all the way to a nice high profile management job only to find that I was bored and did not like being disconnected from the shop floor. So I went back to school and got my teaching certificate in Michigan and have been doing it for seven years now. My only regret is that I did not do this earlier in my life.
                                                Richard G.
There is no approved dental use for WD40
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »
greetings all,

i too am new to the Artsoft/Mach3 experience but not to the CNC retrofit
experience overall.  i started my 1st retro using  the Ah Ha! control and DOS
on a Turnex NC machine purchased from my place of employment.  this was
in 1997.  i became a true old school machinist when i had to design and build
a tool turret indexing plate because i managed to snap the original into 2 very
nicely engineered pieces!  that was the start of a precious and rewarding
journey that grows every time i think about something to do in my shop. so now
i have a moog mill and a south bend chipmaster mill with the moog the highest
priority and i never seem to tire of brainstorming for another digitally optimized
process --- hummmmmm, a home built cmm . . . . .before or after the sheldon
17" lathe retrofit (this machine came with the turcite already installed).
i am not very strong on many things and i find i really have to wrap my head around
many different info sources to finally arrive at some rational gest of what i am working
with.  so i tend to be quiet and just research and absorb. some people might call
this "lurking" . . . . . i wish success to all who whose hopes, dreams, ideas or
romantic wanderings have deposited them to this forum and its kindred populace.

scott
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2007, 07:52:01 AM »
Hello all,

Well you asked for it,, I am new to the hobby and I probably will have a lot of questions. As an introduction, I am 55 years old and live in Ohio. I work for the local government with the Handicaped and Retarded. My hobbies are Radio Control Airplanes, My Wurlitzer 105 Band Organ that I build from scratch and general wood working. I have made most of the furnature in my home. Mostly from old orange crates scavenged from the local grocery store (  :)  ) . And I have 7 grandchildren,, if that wasnt enough to keep me busy..

I am starting with a home brew machine and have it up and running, well, moving,, :) . I am using Mach 3 2.0 and am having a problem getting the machine to move to the home switches. I have downloaded the tutorial on homing and followed it to the best of my ability. ( it really would help if the video could be paused as something is being done)

I have the switches monted. I have them wired from pin 11 for X and pin 12 for Y with the other  side of the switch to ground (pin 18-25).
I can open the diagnostic screen and when the swithes are flipped the yellow lights come on in the proper places. When I go to the program run screen and push the ref all home switch nothing happens, well the readouts all go to zero but no motors move. any ideas what could be the problem? If I load a g code the motors will run the program so I know the motors work.

Randy C
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2007, 09:21:44 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum..... I have been looking at CNC machines for years & I'm now ready to buy one..... or build one.....
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2007, 10:15:59 PM »
Hello. everyone...Ive been in the sign bus.  for 30 years now...specializing outdoor illuminated signs,,,especially Neon signs, they are the best looking eye attraction.....I bought a router about a year ago , haven't been able to git it operating correctly....it has slo-syn  2000 drives,,,Superior elec. steppers...
The program that came with it is HPGL that takes my design from Corel draw & tells the LPT program then sends signals to the drives..  All I have accomplished is straight line cuts it does not interpet fonts correctly WARNING! please don't fall for this ...the wiring is direct from 3 parallel ports. There is a HAM (hardware assist module)connected to the motherboard port(378) joystick connected to the back of the HAM.  I have been worrying with this too long
I am so glad that I have run across this website that is so informational ... Yes I need your help to get this router up & running.... who can tell me where to
buy the "isolated breakout boards" & your comments about the drives & steppers I have ,,,,will they work  with Mach???   
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »
Hi my name is jim and i live in melbourne australia. i have just set up a home enginering work shop and saw a small home made cnc milling machine on the web and i am going to make one. i am also in the middle of making a home build air plane called a hummel bird.  http://flyhummel.com/index.htm  there is the link if you would like to see what thay look like. I brough planes for a cnc router on ebay and mach3 demo was included. i have loaded this but, and here comes my first problem the screens are to large for my monitor it seems. 1 is this because it is a demo version or can i solve this some how by changing some settings. some help on the subject would be help full. and in time i may be able to help someone else.
thanks jim
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »
Hi Folks,

Earl here, from Anderson Machine Service.  My day job, for the last 33 years, has been an I&C tech in a nuclear power station.  In ’95 I opened a one man (me), part time job shop.  Most of my paying jobs have been dirt track race car parts.  My brother builds those cars for a living and he has contracted my shop (me), to make some of these parts.

I wanted to learn G-code programming, so my first CNC machine was a MAXNC 10-2, which I’ve had for several years now.  I used to program the MAX by hand.  Figuring all that trig gave my calculator a work-out. I used absolute coordinates to keep track of where I was.  Reverse engineering was a real test.  I finally got BobCad-Cam in ’03.  My trig calculator has been retired since that time.

In ’04 I bought a ‘80s vintage Series 1 Bridgeport knee-mill equipped with a Bandit controller.  The Bandit’s dialect of G-code is very different from the norm and I had to hand edit the code as produced by BobCad.  The machine is in most excellent condition, and has made many parts for me.  The Bandit controller is obsolete and a while ago the Y-axis drive broke.  $300 of transistors later, the drive functions, but not properly.  Since I’ve been contemplating a retro-fit for some time anyway, here we are.

I got Bob Campbell’s MACH 3 enclosure and internal stuff and new steppers from him as well.  The controller/ computer stand is complete and the new motors have been fitted to the Bridgeport.  I have to get another computer soon as the newest of the several I have has “Windows 98”.  When the computer arrives, into MACH 3 I shall jump.  I have made a few race car parts lately the old school way with the rotary table, but my version of the “old school” does not make as nice a part as CNC does.  Tough to turn those hand wheels just right to make an arc.

Any way, that’s where we are,
AMS