Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:41:54 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511640 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #600 on: July 20, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a new Mach user.... actually, everything CNC is completely new to me!  ;D

I've purchased one of the Probotix units to learn with and use mainly for hobby purposes. I also hope to use it for light business purposes as I own a part time photography business and want to offer custom products such as engraved or decorative frames. My plan is use this machine to learn with and then upgrade to a larger machine at a later time.

I have a lot to learn but am excited about it! I just finished the setup of my mill this past weekend and for the most part, I think I have it all set to go. Looking forward to the journey!  ;D

Dave

« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
Hello All,

I have started a CNC router from plans I found on CNCZONE.com back in 2006, well I got 85% complete and got busy with many other things.
Now I almost have my machine ready to run, finally.  I had loaded a Mach3 Demo onto my computer some time ago it is version 2.0 pretty old I am sure.  I am running a HobbyCNC 4 axis pro board (only 3 axis for now) and the machine is a JGRO design made out of mdf.  I have learned alot and will still continue to learn because there is so much material with the machine, the software, and then applying that knowledge to what you want to make.  But with Mach3 I feel like I can tackle anything.

Thanks ArtSoft,
Tom L.
« Reply #602 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
Hello,
I'm very new to this forum and to cnc in general.  I haven't purchased Mach yet and was wondering
about the proper selection of a post processor.
I plan to use FeatureCam, and my controller is a home built kit from Camtronics.
Can anyone advise me how to get started and what to use?

Thanks.  BTW...just moved to Connecticut and can't wait to start using my home made machine.

Cheers All... :D
« Reply #603 on: July 21, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
My name is Matt i have been using mach 3 for about 3 years. I fabricate custom foam enclosures for anthing under the sun.. Mostly high end Oilfield and subsea equip. Also do alot of custom gun cases feel free to check out my site www.Omnicase.com.. ... maybe someone can steer me in the right direction... My old comp crashed lost the hard drive long story short had to reload everything on a new comp. But for some reason my mach 3 screen does not fit in the window. I know a good amount about computers and its not the window size or the resolution it has somthing to do with mach, but i can not find anyway to set the screen size.. can anyone help please my shop is standing still. no mach no money... Thanks Matt
« Reply #604 on: July 22, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »
I see through some of the tutorials, the I/O is done through the printer port.  How does the controller talk to the amplifiers?  Is there another interface card that I need?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:32:47 AM by Motionman »

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #605 on: July 22, 2009, 06:15:15 PM »
Hello to all in this forum.  I have been a Mach user for some time now.  I am retired from Construction Management and Plant Supervision at the College level.  I spent three years building my own airplane.  After getting it finished and doing the test flights, I needed something else to keep me busy, especially after a very busy last year finishing up the airplane.  During my build there were many time that I needed to make a special part.  As most were a one of a kind part, I did a lot of hand cutting, fitting, and drilling.

After talking with a lot of other builders I decided there was a need for quite a few custom parts for Experimental Aircraft.  That what got me interested in CNC Machining.  I was going to build a machine but after much investigation I decided that I needed to start with something at the commercial level if I was going to do a lot of machining of identical parts.

I ended up buying a K2CNC 2514 mill as a starting point.  I purchased the electronics from HobbyCNC and built up all of the electronics.  I tried a lot of different software programs but finally settled on AutoCAD, Mach3, and CamBam.  For me that is a real winning combination.  There seems to not be anything that I cannot do using that software combination.  I also use Solid Edge 2D CAD program as well.  It is totally free and has most of the features of my much older version of AutoCAD.  For simulation I use the free program, CNCSimulator, it really does a great job of showing how your GCode is going to work within Mach3.

In just a few months I have come up with quite a few items.  I just recently finished my first completely CNC cut Aircraft Instrument Panel.   You can see some of the things I am doing at: http://www.mykitairplane.com

Over the years I have explored a lot of hobbies.  Photography, Amateur Radio, Stamp Collecting, Flying and building my own airplane, and now into the CNC hobby level production.

Life gets nothing but better!  There you have my story.
George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com
« Reply #606 on: July 24, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
Hello, Im karl and i have recently purchased a cnc. i am a noob at learning g code and desperately  need some help. my problems are 1# when posting g code from lazy cam to mach3 i loose half of my tool path. out of say 5 shapes only 2 inside shapes show up in mach3. i have watched all the videos arround 5 times and cannot figure it out.

Please help me !!!
karl
« Reply #607 on: July 25, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Reggy. I have been a machinest for many years, and relatively new to computers.  Started late iln life, around 2000.  Since then I have learned Autocad and Solidworks which I use quite a bit to design machinery and tooling.
Within the last year or so  I have developed a wanting to learn CNC.  I am in the process of turning two opposing work tables into tables that will be driven by step motors and I want to get my feet wet with 2-D.  I would like to do some engraving in plastic and aluminum to start off
The extent of my knowlege of CNC is quite limited.  I know that I must have a step-motor for each axis, a controller, a power supply.and an array of cables.  I think my biggest weakness will be in the Software end of it all.  I know I need software for the controller to communicate with the two axis step motors, and I know I need an art program such as those used by signmakers maybe Casmate or something along those lines, I really need to learn to tie the whole package together and I am in hopes of learning this somehow by reading posts from forums such as this one, and by people such as yourselves who I really admire in your willingness to share your hard earned knowlege.
Thanks for your attention.
Well I'm all ears.
« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »
Hi all my name is Ed, forum user name is yakfisherman because one of my hobbies is fishing been doing it for 50 years (was born with a fishing rod in my hands) but I do most of my fishing now from a kayak off the coast of Southern California.  I spent 20 years in the US AirForce some of it as a Combat Weapon Instructor with access to gunsmith shop equipment, have taken a trade school machinist course back in the early 70s.  Got a few masters degrees while in the Air Force, once I retired went to work for Digital Equipment Corp. as a Quality Engineer (closest I ever came to using my degrees.  Another hobby is fishing rod building, have built many rod winding lathes over the years but have never been happy with any of them until my latest.  Decided to buy a lathe and milling machine after completing the latest rod winding lathe so that I could make some improvement without having to farm out some of the machining.  At this time I am in the process of learning about CNC and the entire process while I'm trying to convert my mini 7X14 lathe to full CNC control.  I have zero experience with CNC have pretty good mechanical abilities and have been building and repairing computer for way too long.  But due to my tour of duty in the first Gulf War I now have some short term memory problems that sometimes cause so grief when problems occur (trying to remember what I have done).  Learning software is a real pain in the a$$ without having a manual for the software printed so that I can make notes within.  Have to say that this is the best forum around, this is the only one that I have actually gotten any help from.  Chip is a great person, went out of his way to help me with a problem involving LazyTurn.  Hope to get this CNC conversion completed and see what I can do with it. 

Ed
« Reply #609 on: July 27, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Im the latest green horn to join the ranks. Im much too new to this whole thing so Im hoping I'll be able to get some good advice from all the pro's out there.

Thanks in advance!