Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:39:25 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511574 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #340 on: October 07, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
Hi, My name is Glenn. I live in northern Wisconsin. I own a small engine shop and thinking about retiring. I like to build things as a hobby and a friend suggested a CNC router so I made a small table. I am new to CNC but I can make my table draw the "Road Runner" with a pencil. (I haven't got enough nerve to actually cut it with the router yet) I read all the email posts and learn a lot. My hat is off to Art, Brian and all the contributors for all the support.  Regards, Glenn
« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
Hi my name is Blake and I live in Port Dover, Ontario, Canada.
While poking around the web last winter stumbled on to a site showing a small homemade CNC router and was amazed at how much information was available on the net, that got thinking about a small machine (12'x12') and as time went on it grew to 48'x28'.
I have been a member for about a year, never posted yet still learning and still amazed what can be done with Mach3. I built my machine and now have it running and now I see some improvements that can be done. I have BobCad V22 ,Vcarve Pro, Cut3d, and Photo Vcarve for software. Just started cutting some projects about 2 months ago.
Great to be here.
« Reply #342 on: October 07, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »
Hi Everybody

Just popped in to say hello, I am in the process of building my own machine the electronics side of things is pretty much sorted, using Gecko's with nema 34 steppers and of course Mach 3.

My machine is made from aluminium plate and Item extruded aluminium section, hoping to get it finished before the end of the year, so no doubt I will be asking questions as problems arise.

Bye for now

Andy
« Reply #343 on: October 07, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »
Hi to everyone here,
just a quick introduction, my name is Lee and i live in Adelaide South Australia, I have been building a cnc router for some time now, and after looking around decided to try mach software. I love the way it just works. Anyway i am building a machine based on Joes 2006 plans, I have built it from scratch using only a $50 plunge router i bough for the job. I am into building stuff, i also some time ago built  a racing simulator and an arcade machine. I currently have a couple of arcade machines that need restoring and will be using the cnc for that and to finish off the racing sim.
i have a web page with some pics if anyone is interested. I have been lurking around the site for some time and learning plenty from everyone here. Not too many hassles with the build except emf noise which was easy to overcome. anyway if you check out the web and have any questions or would like to say hi, especially if you live in Adelaide, please do....!
thats all for now...
cheers...  :)
my web: www.ourmilkyway.net
Too much time on my hands: :)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »
Very good Lee. I love the simulator. Any chance you have plans for it you're willing to share?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #345 on: October 07, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
Hi,

I have participated in this forum before. I have converted a Bridgeport Eztrak mill from its old controls to Mach3 with excellent results. I can even use it
The main change was to use the knee as the Z axis, this took some doing as the stepper motors dont like to be to be overloaded. I used counter weights and gas struts to balance out the knees weight. So far I can get 30 Inches per minute rapid on the knee (Z) which is good enough for the work I do.
I live in Adelaide, South Australia and am a Toolmaker by trade, working as a Projects Coordinator in a toolroom. My hobbies include Drag Racing, RC model Planes, and designing stuff to make on my mill.

Offline mjm

•  1 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 07, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
Hello, my name is Mark. I presently have an Excello 605 cnc knee mill (circa 1985) That has Dynapath system 10 controller that is dead. I plan to gut the control and use Larken drivers as I need that amount of voltage/current to drive the exsisting servo motors. The machine is in storage at this time till I get some more room in my shop. Mach 3 is on my to buy list when I start the retro.
I look forward to communicating my progress when I get the project rolling.....Mark
« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
Hi;
my name is Aki. I live near Los Angeles CA but wish I was in New Zealand or Australia. My day job is as an engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab developing scientific instruments, mostly electronics, programming (embedded and otherwise), and mechanical design. However at night I can finally play with my homebuilt CNC mill.
About one year ago my son brought home a very old Bridgeport mill. We are trying to make some unique wind turbines for sale (I hold a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering but my area of expertise is aerodynamics) and eventually got tired of manually machining molds etc. So I decided to automate the mill, because I have a lot of experience designing hardware and software for automation. A quick Google search however revealed an entire universe of people who have already done this. I did not have to design and build anything. The MACH program and this forum were mostly responsible for making it very easy to convert our mill, which is the focus of our shop. Everything we need to make pretty much we slap onto the CNC mill. While we also have an old Logan lathe and a host of other stuff the CNC mill is used pretty much for everything. You cannot beat such a tool, in precision and ease of use. I had to learn G-codes but by now find it easier to write the code than to manually machine even for a single part.
Up to now I never posted because every question I had had already been answered by someone somewhere on this forum. Now under the threat of being kicked off, here I am, and I want to thank all the people who do post and contribute replies. Know that what you put out here helps a lot of silent members do a lot of neat stuff.
If you actually read this and know of a job for somebody like me or my son (FAA Certified Airplane Mechanic) in the two aforementioned countries please drop me a line (aaabtahi@gmail.com). Even if you don't I always enjoy communicating with other people who are interested in making things. Seems like there are fewer and fewer of us left, so it is surprising how many members are in this forum.

Aki
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
Hi!! My name is Mike Cianciolo. I just finished a Bridgeport conversion. I'm now working on a high speed spindle to use with small cutters. I live in Wisconsin. I work in the Dyno Lab at Harley Davidson. I'm new to cnc and have an intrest in building model engines.
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
Hi, My name is Randy. I live in northwestern Wisconsin

Just saying hello, I am in the process of building my own CNC plasma cutting table 4' by 4'  using four Gecko's G251, Keling Technology nema 23 KL23H286-20-8B steppers, rack and pinion and of course Mach 3.

I just bought a Bridgeport Discovery 300 SX 15 that I may convert to mach someday but for now just trying to get it running I plan on using to make parts for plasma build.