Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:29:48 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511427 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2770 on: January 13, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
@ Cyscrofer,

Laptops are not supported for use with Mach3 unless you are using a suitable motion controller.
Please check out the system requirements; https://www.machsupport.com/software/mach3/

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2771 on: January 18, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »
Hi i am Claude and new here and have no experience with mach3 but i just bought a cncest 6090 and trying to get it running. have downloaded mach3 but not sure about exactly what my setting need to be so going to look around and try to find some info on setting this machine up.
« Reply #2772 on: January 24, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi peoples, obviously new here and need all the help i can get. The biggest problem i have is no time to do anything, you may see me from time to time asking NooB questions but this has been a cool project none the less. Of course it has taken me 3 months to build but it was piece by piece and didn't work on it for days at a time.

Hopefully i will get to know some of you and actually get this thing going good.

:MARK
« Reply #2773 on: February 03, 2021, 06:45:36 AM »
Hello everyone, my Name is Rob Gore.  I purchased a ZenBot 48"x96" CNC router last year, and it has been up and running for a while.  We are using a gecko g540 4 axis control box and a UC 100 connected to the computer via double ferrite beaded USB cable.  We have used this setup with and older windows 7 laptop and with a windows 10 (64 bit) tower (current setup). 

I have some general questions, and a specific one related to an issue we are having.

General questions (please direct me to the correct place in the forum for these)

1.  Is there a guide for setting up the machine coordinate system and homing functions?  Currently we have none of that setup, we just zero to somewhere on the stock or part, make sure that location is zero in the CAM software (Fusion 360), and rock and roll.  I'd like to have it setup correctly though, and I do not really know where to start.  The machine has switches for x y and z but they currently do nothing. 

2. Is there are best practices document somewhere, and/or a tuning guide for setting all the parameters in mach 3?

Specific question about an issue:

1.  We have an intermittent UC100 connection issue.  It will either have a sync error, or fully lose connection maybe once every other day (every 3-4 machine hours).  I have taken the following steps to reduce the noise seen by the UC100 and USB cable.
     a. double ferrite bead USB cable
     b. VFD for spindle is in a thick steel box
     c. UC100 chassis is grounded to computer chassis
     d. Ensure USB power settings are not putting ports to sleep

Since doing these, the problem happens less frequently, but it still happens and is unacceptable.  It also happened with the laptop we were using. I need a robust solution.  This computer does not have a serial port.  Please advise.

FWIW, I am a mechanical engineer and have tons of traditional machine shop and fabrication experience (built my own car from scratch), but I am definitely a bit of a noob regarding setting up and running CNC machines.  Any help or advice is appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:50:25 AM by Elemental Form »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: February 03, 2021, 07:43:26 AM »
Hi Elemental,

Welcome to the forum. Just post any questions you may have, as a New Topic in the General Mach Discussion section.

There is a lot of useful info about coordinates in the .pdf here;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=33595.0

If you haven’t tried already a suitably rated EMI Line Filter (quite cheap on the bay) often helps kerb VFD noise issues.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2775 on: February 03, 2021, 08:11:53 AM »
Thanks for the info, I have not tried a EMI line filter, I guess that would go between the power source and the VFD?  I will look into it. 

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 03, 2021, 09:21:11 AM »
Hello everyone, my Name is Rob Gore.  I purchased a ZenBot 48"x96" CNC router last year, and it has been up and running for a while.  We are using a gecko g540 4 axis control box and a UC 100 connected to the computer via double ferrite beaded USB cable.  We have used this setup with and older windows 7 laptop and with a windows 10 (64 bit) tower (current setup). 

I have some general questions, and a specific one related to an issue we are having.

General questions (please direct me to the correct place in the forum for these)

1.  Is there a guide for setting up the machine coordinate system and homing functions?  Currently we have none of that setup, we just zero to somewhere on the stock or part, make sure that location is zero in the CAM software (Fusion 360), and rock and roll.  I'd like to have it setup correctly though, and I do not really know where to start.  The machine has switches for x y and z but they currently do nothing. 

2. Is there are best practices document somewhere, and/or a tuning guide for setting all the parameters in mach 3?

Specific question about an issue:

1.  We have an intermittent UC100 connection issue.  It will either have a sync error, or fully lose connection maybe once every other day (every 3-4 machine hours).  I have taken the following steps to reduce the noise seen by the UC100 and USB cable.
     a. double ferrite bead USB cable
     b. VFD for spindle is in a thick steel box
     c. UC100 chassis is grounded to computer chassis
     d. Ensure USB power settings are not putting ports to sleep

Since doing these, the problem happens less frequently, but it still happens and is unacceptable.  It also happened with the laptop we were using. I need a robust solution.  This computer does not have a serial port.  Please advise.

FWIW, I am a mechanical engineer and have tons of traditional machine shop and fabrication experience (built my own car from scratch), but I am definitely a bit of a noob regarding setting up and running CNC machines.  Any help or advice is appreciated.

Welcome Rob to the Forum,
pls post your questions part in the General mach aeria by starting e new thread, it will get too much to answere here in the new People welcome aeria.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2777 on: February 14, 2021, 12:02:56 PM »
Hey, new guy here.   I purchased a used Romaxx WD-1 CNC router from a family member who was going out of business.  Got the CNC and all his woodworking business in the deal.     Mach3 and his PC was also included in the deal as well.  I run Vcarve Desktop and use the CNC for signs, custom boxes, noodle boards or whatever is requested.   The CNC quicky moved my woodworking hobby into a small business.   I am south of Muncie, Indiana. Glad to get into the forums to learn all I can.  I had zero CNC experience when I started a few months ago.     
« Reply #2778 on: February 17, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
Hello, New here, I'm a manual machinist from the midwest I bought me a used Sherline 5400 cnc mill that came with a UC100 USB controller. Now going down the hobby cnc rabbit hole, I think I found a new addiction lol.

Btw I posted a thread a few days ago in general, but it's still awaiting approval. How long does it usually take to get posts approved? https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=44396.0

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 18, 2021, 12:47:22 AM »
Btw I posted a thread a few days ago in general, but it's still awaiting approval. How long does it usually take to get posts approved? https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=44396.0

Hi Superuserg,

Welcome to the forum.
Your original post has now been approved (It usually takes a day or two to release any posts that get caught up in the forum's 'anti-spam' system).

Tweakie.

PEACE