Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 3271354 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2150 on: September 07, 2015, 01:52:46 AM »
Hi Arron,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your axis steps per unit have been set incorrectly. However, if you post your question as a 'New Topic' in the General Section I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions as to how that problem can be resolved.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.

Offline timwainer

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 09, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
Hello, my name is Tim. We are based just south of Bath in England.

We tried to source a CNC machine / Router from a UK company (based in the South West) but after several months all I managed to extricate from them was a quote.
My company required not just the machine but some setup help / expertise which we were willing to pay for. In our third month now of chasing them and sending them samples we have decided to take the plunge and buy a 3040T-DQ from ebay.

What we are looking for is someone who is willing to help setup the machine and a few programmes*

1. Basic Engraving on an 80mm x 80mm plastic plate
2. Engraving small plastic keyfobs with two lines of numbers

We have downloaded and paid for a licensed copy Mach 3 and are ready for a suitable candidate to help us get going.

I wondered if someone here would be willing for either an hourly rate of fixed amount to help us - either in person (you will have to be fairly local to the Bath / Bristol area) or via a Remote Connection ( TeamViewer etc.)

The 3040 is connected to the PC (running Windows XP) and we have manual control of the XY & Z axis but that's as far as we have got.

Many thanks in advance

Tim

Offline Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #2152 on: September 10, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Using Mach3 is, I think, the easy part of the CNC process. Initially, you need to decide on the CAD/CAM software you are going to use to design your parts and then create the necessary Gcode for Mach3 to use. There is a lot of free software available (I started out using G-Simple http://www.gsimple.eu/ ) but probably the best (reasonably priced) and easiest to use, paid for, software is the Vectric range http://www.vectric.com/. I currently use Aspire but it took a while to get together the necessary funds to upgrade form V-Carve Pro.
Once your CAD/CAM is sorted then loading the Gcode into Mach3 and setting the start datum point etc. is relatively simple (the Mach manual, I think, explains all http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/ ).

That’s about it really.

If you have any specific questions then please post them as a New Topic in the General section where they will receive the maximum coverage and hopefully a speedy reply.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.

Offline atsersion

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 11, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
Hi All,

Just wanted to provide feedback that I got my issue figured out, thank you Tim, it was in the setup.  Appreciate the assistance.

Offline Oldtimer84

• Holding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
I am responding to new people. I hope this flys as I am new to this forum.
If I get it wrong I will try again. As to my background. I am an 84 yr old retired
Electronic tech. Started in 1965 as a BC - CNC repairmen. All types of machine tools.
Tube type, transistor on up to CNC controllers. In 2000 - 2010 retro fitted BC controls
To CNC. About 8yr ago I add mach3 to small milling machine and lathe. These I use on my choppy of
Making small steam engines. Tired of that and did wood carving for six year. I had to give that up due to
Poor eye sight. So now I am building wood router for the fun of it. When I say wood I mean about all wood
As I had all ready made the controls for my old machines l decided to take easy way out. I am now the proud
Own
Her a Pmdx 340 controller.  I'll save the rest as I develope the machine.
 I was also married for 63 yr. My very dear wife passed away this last June. I now  live alone, with many fond
Memores. Thanks for bearing with me.
Bob  or as my user name Oldtimer84

Offline Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #2155 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bob.
We are pleased to have you here and no doubt we will be calling on your vast experience and knowledge.

Tweakie.

Offline Dougsshed

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 15, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »
Hi, my name is Doug and I'm definitely a newbie both to the forum and to cnc. I'm in Australia and live in Hoddles Creek east of Melbourne. I retired about 7yrs ago. My wife and I moved from the burbs and bought a rural property with a great big shed that just cried out to be filled with those toys that we all lust after. I've gradually filled it with all sorts of tools and machinery.

I've just bought a home made cnc router. I don't have the specs with me atm but it's a 4 axis machine with high torque motors and the bed is about 800mm wide x 1200mm long. It also has a laser cutter that, so far, I'm scared to turn on. It uses a Makita laminate trimmer to drive the cutters. It came with a Dell computer running Windows XP and with Vetric Aspire and Mach 3 software.

I've spent the last few days watching tutorials and slowly (oh so slowly) teaching my brain to learn again :-P I'm making progress and I'm coming to grips with the software on a superficial level.

One thing I'm wondering about the Mach 3 is that it is a licenced copy but not in my name. Is this ok with ArtSoft? Can it be transferred in to my name? I like to do things right.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:19:27 AM by Dougsshed »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #2157 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:55 AM »
Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum.

You may be interested in reading my laser thread http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12444.0.html (it's got extremely long over the years so perhaps skip through stopping to read when you see a picture that interests you).

Please contact licensing http://www.machsupport.com/contact-us/ they will be able to clarify the license situation and my guess is that you will be able to use your existing license as long as it is not a pirate copy.

Tweakie.

Offline Dougsshed

• View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 15, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
Thanks Tweakie. It's late now and well past my bedtime so I'll follow those links tomorrow. :)

Offline Dougsshed

• View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 16, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
For those who are interested, here's my setup....btw, the laptop is temporary so I can watch tutorials on it while I use the desktop as I go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:40:03 AM by Dougsshed »