Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:58:26 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511445 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #690 on: November 29, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
Hello my name is chris and I'm a toolmaker by trade. I've been cnc'ing about 11 or 12 years now. I aquired aTree J300 that had a camsoft refit and I tried to get things working but threw in the towel. I just switched over to mach. Still need some help I'm not a controls person but can figure most things out but I know enough when to ask for help. Thanks Chris
« Reply #691 on: December 04, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »

Hi Folks,  my name is Bob, and I live in Northern California (Santa Cruz county).  I've been a computer hardware design engineer for about 17 years, and have been programming for almost 30 years.   
I bought my first CNC machine earlier this year (a Tormach PCNC1100) and have been learning a lot as I ramp up production in my home workshop.   Mostly I'm working on prototypes for
my own product designs, but lately I've also been engaged in small-lot (80 pcs/lot) production of some steel parts.

I've discovered that I'm much more productive hand-writing gcode than trying to get the CAM output I really want, so I've been spending a lot of time coding up complex
multi-part, multi-operation fixtures.  In part, this is to work around the lack of a toolchanger on the Tormach.

Along the way, I discovered that it is in fact possible to program conditional gcode in Mach, by using expressions for subroutine label numbers, which get computed at run-time.  I've posted a more complete description in the gcode forum.
« Reply #692 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
Hello all.  I'm based in the UK and my job is as a telecoms engineer (well, more marketing these days).  I've been making chips for getting on for 20 years, having inherited the bug from my father.  In principle I'm making a steam launch engine (full size) and my own designed clocks, but in practice I spend more time making tooling (and chips).  I have a Myford Super 7 which is the first machine being CNC'd - now virtually complete but needs a spindle index and an estop switch, but it has cut metal!  This involved making a new X-slide feedscrew because the Myford one is rather expensive to mess around with.

Next will be a little X1 mill, which I chose because my bigger mill, a Myford VMB, I don't want to risk.

The forum has already been useful to me and I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more dumb questions, so please be patient.

John.
« Reply #693 on: December 13, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
My name is Jason Chalfant, and I am new here

Im from kentucky and I have decided to build a cnc router.  The original plan was to work on it slowly as I could afford parts, but I fell into some stepper motors and drivers which came off of a piece of packaging machinery so I started a little early.  I figure I will be on here a lot learning how to set-up, and use my mach3 software.

I thank everyone in advance for their help.
« Reply #694 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »
Hello,
I have built my own CNC engraving/light milling machine. Have tried two other control programs but Mach3 seems to contain more information in an easily accessed way. Of course lots of information is what a new user needs but having it in a graded form (it goes from basic to more complex as needed) is a must. Just watching the video on home and limit switches changed my ideas on machine configuration. Mach3's machine coordinates which are basic references starts the new user on the right track. I also like the way work fixtures are easily set up. Can't wait to give it a try. Dave Anderson
« Reply #695 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
Hello all! My name is Rick, I work as a designer for an engineering firm in Houston Texas. I just recently purchased a used CNC Router from a sign company. I have read some manuals and watched some tutorials, but I'm still new to all this. My use for the CNC is to create one off cabinet doors for cabinet makers, and of course my own personal use. The CNC is a 3' x 4' model, metal framed, looks to be about 5 yrs old. The sign company never used it, as they had no time to learn how to make it work. I told them when I get it set up in my garage I will do their work for them on the side!

My background has been in AutoCAD, started in 86-87 when it was a DOS program, and the computers were around 4 hertz. So when I see a complaint about their computers running slow I just laugh and remember the old days. Back then, if you called up a drawing, it you could watch it actually draw the drawing in front of you, sometimes taking 30 minutes!

I look forward in learning from all of you, and if anyone wants to show me the right direction on setup, books to read, I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks and hope all have a Merry Christmas!
« Reply #696 on: December 18, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »
Hi, Alan here - I built my own CNC plasma table about 3 years ago. Took about 2 months and everything worked fine since the beginning.  I've monitor the forum every once in a while. Recently had a problem and needed help with floating head sensing problem.  You can see my home made machine and work at http://ARHStudio.com   I sell about 10-20 pieces of work a year just as a hobby.  I've done a few pieces for charity.  I think the challenge of building my own machine was what I enjoyed most.

Aerospace engineer during the day, college professor at night, and metal hacker on weekends.

Regards,
Alan Holbrook
Regards,
Alan H.
« Reply #697 on: December 22, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
Hello,

My name is Jon. I own a small computer repair company and am an RC Airplane flyer.

I am building a Solsylva CNC mill for cutting foam sheets and wood, its a 48"x48" machine that is at this point almost done.

this a new frontier for me and the learning process has been great fun so far.

Jon
« Reply #698 on: December 22, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
Hello, I'm Dave in MT.
I bought Sherline's setup including their Linux box and I wanted to change to Mach3. So, just installed a new HD with XP on it, downloaded the Sherline version, set it up and switch it on. Works, except for two quirks. First, I had to switch the X and Y cables. These worked fine under Linux/EMC, but for whatever reason they are switched under Mach. Second, the X axis has a quirk: Using G codes in MDI, I just used XYZ commands to move things around and check it out. Curiously, and X1 command moves the X axis 2 inches. I'm guessing there is some setting some where (pulse?) that needs a tweak? Y and Z are fine.
Hope to interact with other Sherline users here; might be helpful to have a Sherline area on this site?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 22, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »
Curiously, and X1 command moves the X axis 2 inches. I'm guessing there is some setting some where (pulse?) that needs a tweak? Y and Z are fine.

This thread is really only meant for introductions and a new thread should be started for questions but to solve your issue just double the Steps per unit on the motor tuning for the X axis, you may also need to adjust the Vel and Accel to suit.
Hood