Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:18:23 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511623 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2430 on: May 12, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »
Hi folks, first post here.  I am new to CNC.  I just got my plasma table running with Mach3.  I am a retired engineer from the chemical and metallurgical industry.  My hobbies are golf, fixing/restoring old cars and hunting.  I also like to tinker with mechanical stuff.  I am currently using a combination of Autodesk, Corel draw and Inkscape to design stuff and cut it.  I love the capability this has added to being able to modify and build stuff.  I do have one issue with Mach3 that I haven't been able to figure out - after loading g code I only see the tool path for a cut file while scrolling the mouse wheel for a split second after each view enlargement occurs - then the window goes blank.  It also flashes on, then off, at major tool moves (touch-offs maybe?) while the program is running.  The cut files run fine - I just can't follow the progress in the window.  Its not that big a deal until you have a fault occur and want to locate the line it happened on - you can't follow the tool path progress in the window to the point it matches physically where the torch is when I press stop.  As this section is mainly for introductions, I'll re-post this issue in an appropriate part of the forum.
« Reply #2431 on: May 13, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »
Hi

My name is Leon.

It has been a lifelong dream to have my very own CAD system, workshop and CNC machine. I am a mechanical design drafter, used lots of different CAD systems, and finally bought Solidworks a few years ago. A few years later I got bit by the 3d print bug. Had the wiz bang idea, got it modelled in Solidworks, and then it took me ages to put the rest of the bits together. I bought a 4 axis CNC router, PC controller machine and Mach 3 so now, I just need to make some small modifications to the machine, and learn how to use Mach 3 and I will have achieved one of my longest running life goals, and will hopefully make an unfeasibly large amount of money if the wiz bang 3d printer thing works out. I joined this community in the hope for getting some advice on modding my CNC router into a practical CNC mill.

« Reply #2432 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a professional embedded systems engineer that dabbles with mechanics on the side as I like to have the whole picture. Even as I'm an engineer at work, I'm still passionate about creating and modifying stuff when I'm off work. I have two 3D printers which are more or less always under re-construction and upgrade. Recently I bought one of them cheap chinese CNC3040T 4 axis CNC machines as a complement to my printers. I believe that the primary application for this machine will be PCB isolation routing manufacturing and some simpler geometry stuff like templates for airfoils and things like that. Oh, forgot to tell you, I'm also a Model RC aircraft pilot and builder.

I have chosen to not use the USB motion controller that came with the unit. It turned out to be a cloned unlicensed PlanetCNC controller making the choice of control software limited to only PlanetCNC. Instead, I've bought a Pokeys USB/parallell port interface which I plan to use with MACH4 hobbyist version. I'm still taking my very first steps in the CNC world just jogging the machine around, watching tutorials and reading manuals so I can't really tell yet how it's working. I think I'll run my first test pass routing a rectangle in a wooden block pretty soon.

Watch out for questions... some of them might even seem... eh... stupid 

/Thom
« Reply #2433 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »
Hello all, I am a CNC Prototype Machinist in Phoenix Az . I also built a home shop and picked up a EZ Path CNC lathe and an old Boss 5 mill.
The mill is what brought me here. It has the original control and I did get it to finally run, I know nothing about it except that it needs a new control. So, I bought a package deal Mach3/Bobcad setup and am in the process of converting it. Actually, I am just starting the conversion.
So hopefully I will gain some insight here and maybe even contribute a little.

I will commence to do some reading now, and will also start a thread shortly speaking some guidance.

Thanks for letting me in here.

Rick
« Reply #2434 on: May 19, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »
Howdy Folks:
My name is James Amato, but I much prefer Jim. I am an eighty year old semi-retired Design Engineer taking on small jobs for the attractions industries here in Central Florida. I’m an ardent rag sailor and in my younger days I made many long distance journeys. With those days only a memory I now satisfy that thirst by day sailing in the Indian River.
I am also into woodworking and just completed a full Kitchen remodel that took me 13 months to complete, in my spare time.
About four years ago I had heard about making a DIY CNC routers and decided to give it a shot. I built a 26 a 30 all aluminum gantry router, using Nema 23 motors. After going through a long Mach3 learning curve, I finally got the hand of it and started to produce some income with the machine. Like most things in life you simply never have enough and so early this year I designed and built a larger 50 x 65 open end Y axis unit. I have tested all the motors; limits and home switches and all work well. I am however not without problems. But the end is in sight.
Jim Amato
« Reply #2435 on: May 24, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Hi,
My name is Wayne and I live in Cape town South Africa, I have been a running CNC machines for 4 years now. I work for Rhino Marine Products and we make workboats from HDPE. We cut all our parts on a 2mx4m cnc router.

We have a Chinese - CZK-2040  CNC router.

I enjoy mountain biking. I love CNC.

Wayne
« Reply #2436 on: May 26, 2017, 07:51:48 AM »
Hello every one.
My name is Manolis and i live in Greece.My hobby's are ,RC Models ,Model Engineering,Woodworking and making wooden Clocks,
and large scale models  Abramsm1a1 http://diyscaledtank.weebly.com/abrams-m1a1.html
For the last 2 months i'm building a CNC Router 1m.X1.3m. all hard ware are completed but software   ??? using Mach3.
But my problem will be given in an other post. >:( :'(

« Reply #2437 on: May 26, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
Hello All , Im new to mach 3,  but was a robotic engineer back in the 80's to early 90's .. last summer built my own router table and have started building a lot of wood  based products (crafts). Since Ive been out of this field for a while please excuse me for any stupid questions ... when I worked on this stuff in the past I had to write all my own code so its nice to have a out of the box app like Mach xx ..

My first question for the forum (and I hope I asking the right place) is , does any one know if/how to make mach 3 calculate X Y coordinates based on a radial waist axes and a lineal Y axes ...
I'm building a new CNC with a single post with a waist control and then a linear Y axes and i want to use normal G code to cut items.
« Reply #2438 on: May 26, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
Not sure how to make a post so I replyed hope it is ok/ My name is Jim I am in a duck fart town called cushing, wi . I am retired and am 70 years young. I have always wanted a cnc but I have had nothing but troubles since it arrived. The instructions were like nil and I could not make the activation numbers work and 3 weeks to the date they told me to eliminate th two " yup that was the problem now it works now to get Mach3 to crank up and it will be a lovely day now to get the Mach3 to work (Bought the softwar from automation in IL .                                                                          . 
« Reply #2439 on: May 29, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »
Hello Everyone: My name is Jeff Nehrkorn. I live in small town in South West Virginia:. I have been doing woodworking for about 10 years now.  I just got into CNC and i am as green as a gord. i'm hopping to pick up some tips and tricks her.  Where would be a good place to start since i know very little about Mach 3