Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:52:07 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4511643 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #590 on: July 10, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »
Hi all, I have just recently joined and know basically nothing about CNC. I am retired after working in the motor industry for 45 years, more than half of that time I was involved in tooling. I have used AutoCad for the last 20 years but mainly only 2D. My main hobby at the moment is scale RC helicopters, besides playing with my new mill.
I have just purchased a Seig X2 mill and hope to convert it to CNC, my first question is, do I need any other software programs besides AutoCad and Mach3 to send files to the controllers? I guess this question has been asked a thousand times so please except my apologies.
Michael
« Reply #591 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »
Hi, I'm also new to this site and CNC. Did the same digging you're doing now. You need to look into CAM software - it goes between AutoCAD and Mach3. This site has references to many of the common CAM packages in use (SheetCAM, etc.).

Good luck,

Dave.
« Reply #592 on: July 10, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks Dave, will check it out.
« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »
Gary.  Hi all.  New to CNC and Mach3.  Hope to catch on fast. 
I manufacture Hot Tubs.
« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:07 PM »
I am retired and have troubleshot allot of problems with CNC equipment and as I am a woodworker I decided to build one. I had it going fine before I had a senior moment and apparently wired the Gecko 540 wrong after putting it in a box.  I have made several revisions to my original plans and I believe I am close to getting ready to make chips. My wife has ask me what I'm going to do with it when I get it finished so I could use a few excuses you pros have used. 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »
Tantrim,
Explain to her that men are from Mars and women are from Venus. That said, tell her a man only meeds an empty
box to play with and not filled like what a women needs. Then go on to tell her the machine is like an empty box and it dosen't need to do anything except make you happy. Tell her that your happy now with this simple thing and for her not spoil it on you. If it's broken, tell her that you need to replace it to get back that simple happy feeling.
It's just the way men do things on Mars. She will surely understand.  ;)

RICH

« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »
Oh Rich, you will never make a marriage guidence councillor. However, you do speak the truth.

My names Mike. I served my engineering apprentiship and ended up being a turner. Hated that coz I wanted to be a miller so I left and went into electronics and computers.

Served adult university for electronics and now work doing HUGE video walls. Got back into engineering a few years ago, purchased a working Bridgeport Interact 1A. Blew that up after a year or so. Its supprising how much smoke you can get out of those seimans servo boards isnt it?

Decided that a complete update / upgrade was required. So, Gecko G100, Mach3 and a host of other bits and bobs later I have a nearly complete and working mill.

One question, Machropumps. I need one that reads a load of inputs from the G100 ( MPG with knobs and buttons ) and sets the required bits in Mach3. Also, FRO. Any one have any basic macros that I can look at?

Cheers and appreciated.

Mike.
« Reply #597 on: July 16, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »
New guy in town.

My name is Terry Whalen. We use Mach3 for the software to control our CNC router which we use to manufacture signs in Las Vegas. I am logging on to start my membership and I have a couple of problems I want to ask about. I don't know if this is the right place, but here goes.

1. I have version 1 of Mach 3 and think i need to upgrade to the latest version 3. Can I do an upgrade without losing all my setup parameters, like pin assignments, tuning, size ca labration and etc?

2. We are having a problem where the control will stop randomly in the g-code program. Does not seem to be in the same spot in any given job, and the code looks perfectly normal. Has anyone seen this and do you have any idea what I should look for?

3. Very frequently when we load a G-code file the graphic display in Mach 3 where you see the picture of what you are cutting is not correct. It may show the file in the wrong location or may only show a portion of the file. Also, I have noticed that when I have the stopping problem above, the display which shows each line of g-code, will show the same line of code multiple times. I get the felling that this display problem is related to the stopping problem above item 2, but not sure. Once again has anyone seen this and do you have any advice.

Thanks,

Terry :)
« Reply #598 on: July 16, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »
Hi Ya!  

New guy here.  Was helped before introducing myself, by Hood,  but anyway..........Cool forum, thanks for the help (future help will be appreciated as well  :).  I hope I can contribute myself.  I'm pretty good at CAD and modeling, but I'm slow at CNC and CAM.

Cheers,
Rooney
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:42:31 AM by rooney »
« Reply #599 on: July 19, 2009, 07:05:29 AM »
Hello, Im a maintanence machinist with 35 yrs+ experience, but no experience with CAM. Ive recently retired and since I do some hobby woodworking I am looking at building a CNC router. It seems the software will be the biggest challenge of the project so im here to try to learn about it. Thanks for developing this great board and im looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks Rich