Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:41:05 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4516378 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #380 on: October 08, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
 Hi, my name is Pat. I have been a toolmaker and Machine operator and programmer for 24 years. I am currently running a Fadal 6040  3 axis mill at work, and programming in Mastercam X2. I have had a home shop for about 7 years. I currently have a Bridgeport boss 6 series 2 mill running on Mach 3 , a monarch 10ee speed lathe, a Cincinnati no 3 horizontal mill with a verticle head, a Doall band saw, a Racine 2hp power hacksaw, a 2hp hydraulic 10x20 surface grinder, 2 tig welders, 24" bickford super service drill press, large glass beading machine, 5hp chop saw, Leland gifford 3hp drill press, 3hp pedistal grinder, and a electric catapiller m50 fork truck. I enjoy playing with all these toys. I am working on a cnc router currently.

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 08, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
Hello All,
My name is Mike Voros, and, like Graham Waterworth, I also started my carrier back in 1978 when it was called Numerical Control or NC (the C was added later) and know about the pains involved with those paper tapes. I liked putting my long machining experience (since 1953) down into 1's and 0's. I also taught apprentices CNC, at the local college at night, for 9 years. In the last 6 years of my working life, I was a CMM  technician. Now in my retirement, I was fortunate to acquire a PHOENIX HQR-GS Router-Engraver. It worked fine, but it was DOS operated. I had no trouble running simple programs with it, but I wanted to run 3D. After browsing the Net, I found the ArtSoft site, thank god. My humble thanks to Art, Bob Campbell, James Cullins, the Gecko team. Art was very patient with me during the retrofit. And now, with Mach3 controlling my machine, I have my dream come true. For 3D carvings, I buy the surface models from VectorArt3D.

Mike Voros
      :)
« Reply #382 on: October 08, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
Hi:

I am new to metalwork and to Mach3.  I do biomedical research and got tired of trying to explain to the shop here what kinds of modifications I need to my equipment.  So I recently bought a small mill and lathe from MicroMark and converted the mill to CNC.  I've done a few simple projects - some success and some failures, but I am learning as I go along.  I've been watching this list and a few others for some time and I am really impressed with the talent and willingness to help one another.

Larry
« Reply #383 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
Hello fellow chipmakers,

I'm Bill and live in Las Vegas and have retro-fitted the much be-littled round column drill mill via harbor freight.  I was inspired by HomeCNC plans but didn't use them and came up with my own twist of the original plans.  We have a machine that with hold .001 or better depending on the weather and humidity.  We even went so far and to lap the ways and use bondable teflon instead of turcite/rulon.  Smooth as....?(enter in you mind the slippery answer)  Also, ballscrews where out of our price range and use precision acme 1/2-10 with dumpsterCNC(4) anti-backlash nuts...since we went with modified precision acme rod we made our own version of dumpsterCNC nuts out of DelrinAF(they are longer)
and made the Z axis a DelrinAF spinning nut. All the precision is from rummaging through outlet machinery and catch all store on the eastcoast.  They had a wall that was just bearings.  I found expensive thrust bearings for $1 each that were still in original packages.

Started using Maxnc-->TurboCNC--> CNCPro --->finally a window based system Mach3 and really like it and its ability to do more and more(as long as I keep learning).

Art and the gang, thank you for a great product!!!

Bill
« Reply #384 on: October 08, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
Hi,
Don't like to waste a lot of time talking drivel, but don't want to be swept out because I look anti social so...
I'm working with a 9x20 lathe, a mini mill and a taig micro lathe with a FROG CNC conversion.
Mostly stick to Linux based equipment but practicality can take me elsewhere.
Was hoping to convert the mini lathe and mill.
Hope I avoided the cleaning squad. ;)
Regards,
Frank
« Reply #385 on: October 08, 2008, 11:40:22 AM »
Hi
I live in the UK and I am building a home brew flying gantry from scrap (anything I can find or recycle) to this end my design is fairly fluid ;D I've built the base/x axis from 4 x pieces of unistrut and the guide rails are 25mm stainless steel conduit (to  upgrade to solid rails when available) supported on 4 25mm support blocks with 4 x linear bearings from ebay (£10).Electronics are from diycnc in kit form (www.diycnc.co.uk) for the 3 drivercards and the breakout card, power supply is a cannibalised siemens unit from a scrapped machine at work.Stepper motors again from Ebay (£36 for 5)only need 3 so 2 are going back up for sale  :D.Other mechanical  bits are in the pipeline.Need  a source of CHEAP (free 8) ) leadscrews and nuts but using 8mm screwed rod at the moment.Mach 3 and a recycled pc make up the controller.Total spend so far less than £100.Thanks for all the Info Ive gotten from this forum
« Reply #386 on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
Hello to all.
My name is Len and I live on Long Island NY.
i have a respectable shop at home. It includes a Bridgeport mill, Southbend Heavy 10, Sherline mill and lathe and assorted drill presses, grinders,etc all manually controlled. I am currently setting up a new C6 lathe and X4+ mill, both cnc run.
I am interested in making IC engines, parts for my 1940 Ford street rod as well as some items for resale. I am still employed at a full time job so it is hard to find any spare time to accomplish much currently.
Regards, Len
« Reply #387 on: October 08, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »
Hello to ALL!

First off, I would like to thank all the people who take the time to post and help others here. I currently own a microkinetics converted Sherline mill and lathe setup. I have not run them as of yet. I also have a small cnc router, that I hope to get running soon.  I am new the cnc thing, although I have been machining for some time. I have a assortment of manual machines, 2 Sheldon 14 x 40 with turrets and variable speed, Craftsmen 12 x 36,  South bend 9 x 36, Taig micro lathe,  Bridgeport mill, Atlas Horizontal Mill, Atlas Vertical Mill, Harbor freight mini mill,. Unfortunately, I have no time at the moment to enjoy any of them. I hope to start some new projects this winter though. I also look forward to spending some time using mach 3 or Now # 4 on the machines. 

Again thanks to all those who give time and effort to post and help others. I hope to be able to do the same at a future time.

DCFLYSRC
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
I'm John, new to the forum. Finishing up a Rockcliff flying gantry. Should start on the electronics this weekend. Wiring the board, motors, limit switches and getting the computer up and running. I will be using Mach and lazycam. I live in Texas and will be making all kinds of things, but mostly R/C truck parts.

John
« Reply #389 on: October 08, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
Hi
I'm Don.

I have 2 very old milling machines that were originally paper tape machines.

I built an S100 (an original CPM operating system with a Z80 powered chip) and a stepper motor drive 30 years ago.

I also designed and wrote the program to drive it. I cut one part with it.

The computer was unreliable and I tried to convert it to an original IBM PC, but I did not have Fortran for it.

Now I would rather go the easier route and buy instead of building for it.

Don