Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:00:31 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4516332 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #330 on: October 07, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »
Not a new person, just an occasional lurker who also desires to remain on the forum.

Bob.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 07, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
No chance of that woodwelder, not now any how. Just consider the email a pamphlet dropped before the campaign of Shock and Awe commences on the spammers.  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #332 on: October 07, 2008, 02:22:42 PM »
Hi,
Ian Haynes here from Cheshire in the UK. I have a Denford Easimill running Mach3 that I converted some time ago using a Bob Campbell breakout board and Geckos and am just playing with a Denford ORAC (would rather have an Easiturn) which I have stripped out and am just making choices for breakout board (fancy having a go with CNC4PC this time) and Geckos again.
I have a 1933 Morgan Three Wheeler and am working on a 1929 model now. The Easimill is used primarily for machining dies that are used for lost wax casting now obsolete Morgan (mainly engine) parts.
Not quite sure what I will do with the ORAC, it is a bit small, but I would like to get to grips with CNC turning. If anyone has a small tool changer out there that would fit the ORAC give me a shout!
The majority of my programming is done via AutocadLT and the .dxf conversion facility in Mach3, although I have solid modeling software (Solid Edge) and various CADCAM options ranging from Meshcam upward.
I have a full time job working for as a development engineer for an international company and I work mainly with packaging.
Cheers!
Ian
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »
I response to your invitation to introduce myself, up to now I have been reading and what I understand to be "lurking".

I have been in to model engineering since 1964 I am an electronics engineer during the day a few months ago we had a job in that required 800 plastic boxes to have three holes put in to them one 70mm x 30mm for a display and two 25 way "D" sockets the quote from a local machine shop was 4.5 GBP / box. So thought we would try it in house. Purchased on ebay a small CNC milling machine running a DOS program called "Maxnc ver10". Figured out the G-code once I got my head around relative and absolute positions and an excursion with G20 and G21. First tried to use a 3mm normal 4 start end mill but that quickly got plastic swarf burned on to it, a couple of searches on the internet got me in touch with WNT who recommended 52 103 030 - 03 tool and a larger cut to speed ratio so that the tool had larger chips to clear the swarf. This cutter has a single cutting edge and a form that pushes the plastic down on to the jig to stabilise the work. 800 boxes later the machine has more than paid for its self.

I am now looking at ways to exploit it for my model engineering projects. Mean while replaced the operating system with Mach 3 and on the advice of the IT department and one of their old computers on which they first ran fdisk then installed a copy of windows 2000. I then installed Mach3 ver 2.64 lockdown I am now engraving glass with self made a spring loaded device that used Dremel collets and tools

Well that's my exploit in to CNC machines so far The boss now having seen what's possible is looking at us machining some other end panels.

Paul
« Reply #334 on: October 07, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »
Hi everyone.

My name is Torleif and I live in Denmark.

I'm an electronics engineer, CNC is my hobby. I built my first CNC machine 10 years ago, and have taken many steps. My first mill was a Sherline, that I was controlling with CNCPro, TurboCNC and EMC. It went through a lot of modifications and it ended up being a nice PCB router. By then there were almost no Sherline parts left.

Then I purchased a Denford Triac mill, that I converted, first to DeskCNC and shortly after to Mach. No doubt, Mach is the best PC controller, I have had. I also purchased a Denford Orac Lathe, that was under conversion to Mach when I lost my entire workshop in a fire - a really bad day. The Denford's are very nice hobby machines and the conversion to Mach is easy. They are often sold at affordable prices, especially if they have electrical defects.

After the fire, I bought a Denford slanted bed lathe with DOS based control, that I consider converting to Mach. I also bought a Deckel FP2NC with a Dialog4 control. I originally intended to convert the Deckel to Mach, but I brought the old Dialog4 up first and have come to like it. Even though it's old, it has many brilliant features, so I'll probably stick with it. The Deckel machine is a true universal mill and a wonderful piece of mechanics, just looking at it makes one smile.

/Torleif.
« Reply #335 on: October 07, 2008, 02:51:51 PM »
hello to u all

Let me in troduse myself i am a technician from Belgium i am 42 years of age and my intrest for CNC machines are for my work as well as my hobby.
And it has been for the last 8 jears,i retrofit cnc machines for a company that sells secondhand metal working machines:
Press brake,Milling,laths,ets...over 2000 peaces.
it interests me as a hobby because wen you now howmatch a industrial NC costs MACH is the best thing to put on your machine , just my question is how do you put on a tool turret

greetings;
« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
Greetings fellow machinists,

Thanks for the invitation, my name is Hans and I live in Holland.
In daily life I'm a cost engineer working for a contractor in offshore projects.

CNC is my hobby.
Although I've not used Mach3 a lot sofar, this will change in future as I more or less finished converting an Emco FB2 clone [clone's name is Fusan FV-320T].
Will in future, if possible, post some pictures showing it.

Next to that I also own a Fusan 280 x 650 lathe, an electrode welding apparatus, swivel metal band saw and a grinder.

And all this in our nice and cosy apartment complex  ;D
Big fun, especially trying to use a blunt cut off tool.

« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »
8)

Hi
My name is Alan I live in the U.k.

I am an electrical /electronics engineer and have worked with motor drives and control systems since I left school about 40 years ago. My main hobby is building very large radio controlled aircraft ( up to about 1/2 scale ) I was talked into making a gantry router as a way of speeding up our projects. I bought a couple of books ,but found this site and CNC zone which both proved to be  a lot more value. I now have a 4ft x 2ft home built gantry router and have cut a lot of of plywood. The electronics was the easy part ,the metal work was harder.I use Turbo cad ,sheet cam and Mach 3. I have embarked on a second router/milling machine to allow me make the metal parts that I need. my router can be seen along with some of our projects on our web site WWW.ghostsquadron.co.uk I still have a lot to learn so will be visiting this for a long time to come.

thanks Al.     
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »
I don't know anything about electronics and not a lot about computers.
I just realised I can't think of anything I could say I know much about!!

I make odds and ends for my car and bikes and have a turret mill.  I was saying I will buy a milling machine for about twenty
years, before I eventually got around to buying one. I was quite happy with the manual mill till  I altered the pattern for a casting I make,
the necessay machining now involves litterly hours turning the handle of a rotary table; I thought about this while making the new
pattern, but I had planned on getting a bridgport interact last year.

I bought a Matsuura from ebay. It was complete and in the words of the bloke who delivered it, "in fantastic condition" he said he delivers
machinery a few years old and it rarely looks as good. So what did I do? I tore it apart;-)
It would have taken up far to much space in my garage, so I stripped evarything off it and now have to refit it..

The plan is Granite drives and mach.

So far all I have done is hang the original pendant on a new articulated arm. This afternoon I made the motherboard tray to go in the
pendant. The PC and a tft screen are going in the pendant.

Turkey Twizzlers, yummmmyyy.
Vegtables, Ych y fi.
« Reply #339 on: October 07, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
Hi, I'm sort of new to this stuff. Always been a techno geek of sorts. A few months ago I bought a Shoptask Patriot which is a combination lathe/bridge mill. So far I am happy with the machine although I have had to do some major tweaking. I really thought it would be more "out of the box" ready but it needed help. The CNC portion was very amateurishly done. I wish I had just done that portion on my own. It was a lot of money added to the purchase price and I have had to redo just about everything. The good news is, I've jumped light years ahead on CNC operations and capabilities.

Who knew metal was so expensive? I needed stuff to mill so I built a foundry to pour ingots and other castings out of scrap. Works great. There is a video on youtube if you are so inclined to see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gR44MfGYKs