Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:35:05 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4516526 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »
Hello, my name is Stephen, and I am brand new to this.  I am in Maryland, and I have a general question.  I am looking at buying a lathe, it is a 1982 TOS currently running an AH HA cnc controller.  My father the one while will be using the lathe mostly is not very comfortable with the AH HA software, and wants to use a control package that is up to date. 

I am wondering if anyone has, or has any thoughts about, using the Mach 3 software to power the AH HA motor controller on this machine.  The lathe was retrofitted some years ago with the AH HA software and motor controller.  Does anyone have any experience with the reliability or fixibility of the AH HA motor controller?  Also has anyone used the AH HA motor controller with the Mach 3 software?  Has anyone made this conversion, and how successful was it?

Can anyone point me to any resources on this?

Thank you very much.
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
Hello I am new to using Mach3 and I am having some issues.
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »
Hi I'm Mike alias CncorBust.
Built my own machine - Table travel 12" by 8" Stepper driven. I can move X at 40" ipm and Y at 18" ipm. Cheap 20 TPI All thread on Y axis but I can keep backlash down to 0.001". X is ball screw but back lash is only slightly better than Y, just more consistent.
Work mostly in brass. Hate Steel, plastic is not much nicer.

Now I am trying to post a question about Lcam. Call me dense but damned if I can figure out how to post a new topic, seems the system is insisting that I can only "reply" to existing messages.

I posted my question on the Yahoo site but the folks there seem to bound up discussing the various merits of acceleration, G forces, Newtons etc..

I had several questions, my main question was how to tell Lcam to not insert G90.1, G40, G41 H3 as part of the post procssing, I don't need those codes and it gets irritatiing to have to edit them out. I'd also like to know how to write a post processor but that appears to be a closely guarded secret.

Any more talk of an interim instruction book on the care and feeding of Lcam? Yeah, I know there are some pretty good videos but they don't cover all the itsy bitsy steps in getting good Gcode out of Lcam.

Mike

Incidently I do have a license for Lcam and Mach3. I am also not so sure I will able to find my way back to this thread to pickup any answer that might be forth coming.

Offline K3HTK

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
Greetings All!

My name is Ed and I am located in Indianapolis, Indiana.... Just started getting very interested in CNC because of my love of engineering! Buy day I am a Network Security / Design Professional and now at night I am doing everything I can to learn how to CNC.

My CNC setup is a hombrew BigBear CNC using the Xylotex 3 Axis Kit. Check out http://www.bigbearcnc.com for plans! I got them for $5.00 and the credit for the design goes to Mike Walach! He has been very helpful with questions as well. Overall cost to build my CNC was around $600 for ALL materials. Machine built from HDPE Plastic. Using Rotozip for spindle although I am trying to find good bits to use with it for engraving and such.... Any suggestions on where to find good bits and what bits to use for different types of CNC'ing? 

Currently working on using laser to retro fit to my CNC for small cutting projects (3mil or less). Using 200mw red laser (650nm) with adjustable lens. Plan to work on relay switching from Mach 3 to turn on and off.....

Other Hobbies

Ham Radio Operator (General Class License) - Call Sign K3HTK
Restoration of Antique Radios
Racing - Member of NHRA SuperComp team http://www.hornetracing.com
Musician - Bass, Drums, Guitar
General Electrical Engineering projects....

Nice to meet everyone!

-Ed-
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »
Ya know... I've been on the forum for a few weeks and never intro'ed myself.

I'm Scott Leatham in Duvall Washington, living on a small ranch named (you guessed it) Far Reach Farm.
I have two machines, The first is a Shop Task 3in1, upgraded to steppers and controlled by AhHa, but I'll be changing this to Mach 3 soon due to "animal damage" to (er read as "on") the computer. So if I have to buy a new computer, I'll update the S/E.
The 2nd machine is a Bridgeport Discovery 300 VMC, upgraded a lot.  Currently it's running Camsoft, Galil motion controller, Advanced motion servo drives, opto-22 G4 SSRs, and a Control Techniques vector flux spindle drive/controller.  Since I really don't like Camsoft, I'm converting to Mach3l (I was so happy to learn Mach supports Galil).

I use Solidworks for design work (I have a legal license), then a local local machine shop allows me to use SoftCam or MasterCam to produce G-Code.

As for myself, I'm a manager in the software & embedded systems industry; OS/Systems, mobile devices, gaming consoles, and robotics.  I like sailing, diving/snorkeling, horseback riding (I have 2000lb drafthorse), art-blacksmithing, and cutting out parts on my CNC machine.  A friend uses my machine to make parts for underwater diving equipment (rebreathers, dive computer housings, custom flashlights).  The item is my picture is a small robotic telescope mount for a 6" mead.  I've done some mold making for a cell phone snap on skin that actually went into production.  I've also written machine control operator interfaces for a couple hydraulic manufacturing equipment.  But, sadly I get so busy at work, that I end up having to re-learn everytime I start a new project or resume an old one!  So I'm a newbie at times too!

--Scott
--Scott
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
My name is Ken Thomson. I just converted my CNC router (a Glentek, similar to a Warthog) from WinCNC to CandCNC and Mach3. I just ran my first program on it today, and the results were excellent. It did a semi-complex 3D part in half the time of my previous setup with comparable results (though at the speeds it was running I may have to put some replacement servos on the shelf ...). I'm just starting to learn the software, and look forward to learning the macro and VB language. I have found at least one serious deficiency between Mach3 and WinCNC, but I'm sure a macro can correct it. I'll post that in another area.

Thanks
Ken
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2008, 09:18:36 AM »
My name is Calvin Nichols I am in N.C.  I have been working in the machine shop setting for about 21 years most as a supervisor and set up.I run a lot of prototype parts.I am a custom knife maker and looking to use the mach3 to do inlays and pocket knives. no telling what I will get into with it..
Calvin Nichols
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2008, 02:13:05 PM »
HELLO, EVERYBODY, MI NAME IS RENE, IAM NEW IN CNC WORLD, RECENTLY I FINISH A JGRO CNC MACHINE, WITH HCN PRO DRIVER FROM HOBBYCNC, I AM TRYING TO GO FAST BUT IAM NOT UNDERSTAND SO GOOD ENGLISH AND IS DIFICULTS FOR ME, I NEED SOME HELP TO GO AHEAD, BUT I PREFEAR TO OPEN A NEW THREAT WTH MY QUESTIONS, WHEN I LEARN SOMETHING, WHIT GREAT PLACER I GIVE YOU MY EXPERIENCES, BYE

RENE
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
Hi, I'm Kit, been writing embedded software for 30 years. I live in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, UK, the closest part of the UK to the USA! My current project, for myself, is retrofitting a Weeke BP30 Overhead router with new electronics. This is a large beast, 4.5m travel in X, the head that moves in Z weighs 98Kg (about 200lbs), 2 and 4KVa brushless servo motors, AMC sinusoidal amps and a Galil 1750 card. Moves nicely using Galil Smart term, rapids at 1870ipm. Trying to install Mach3, realised I was using old version, hope to clean everything off and reload latest software. Stand by for lots of questions! Did I see something about a get together in the UK this summer? Cheers.
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Paulie and i'm new to mach 3 and machining. I'm pretty good with CAD software and have worked with them in a civil engineering company for a few years. I like to try to invent things so i thought the next logical step would be to try and make the things i design in CAD and bring them into reality.

So, here i am ;D