Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:39:22 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4516595 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
 Hey there, My name is Leroy. I am ??? new to this site. I'm a journeyman tool and diemaker. I just bought (for home) a late 80's vintage Alliant (Bridgeport copy) mill with a anilam crusauder II 3 axis controller, I don't think the controller works but everything is there and overall the mill is in good shape. I purchased from a woman who had lost her husband a few weeks after he had bought this for his use and she could not tell me if the thing works. It really doesn't matter if the box works as it is obsolete anyway. I would like to retrofit the thing myself but do not know if this is the correct route? Has anyone out there done a retrofit on this type of machine with this controller? I've broused a while and it seems that I should be able to use much of what is here as far as motors and such. thinking about gutting out what I don't need and adding new motor controller (GECKO drives keep getting mentioned) and so on. This is for use at home for general use and to use for hobby purposes so I cannot spend thousands on doing this, unless I decide to live in the dog house if you guys now what I mean. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Leroy
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2007, 07:04:57 AM »
Leroy,
AndersonMachine here.  My "New People" posting is on the page previous to the page our posting is on.  As I mentioned, I'm doing what you are thinking about.  I finished the stepper adaptor plates Friday and now have the motors installed on the mill.  Am in the process of sorting through the wiring to seperate the spindle motor contactor, mist coolant sov and the air brake sov.
Check out the campbelldesigns.com web site to look at his products.  I bought the completed Mach3 enclosure and am satisified at this point.  Usually I reinvent the wheel on most of my projects, but this time I let the pros do it.
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »
hello everyone!  my name is Jim, i think my job title is officially vertical mill operator, i went to a vocational school the last 2 years of high school taking precision machining technologies, graduated in june.  been an electronics hobbyist since before i was in school, i just recently started playing with PICs, was into CB and some other bands for a little while but that got me in trouble, ive been an overclocker for a few years now, started on a 66mhz P1 but due to work and the female i dont have much time for that stuff any more.

im in the process of buying an old warner & swasey no. 4 lathe, in which i want to eventually do a cnc conversion to.  it has a 6 position turret at the tail and room for 5 tools on the cairrage.  i intend to make the adapter plates and such to mount the servos, im sure i could cut gears if i absolutely have to, i want to build all of the electronics to interface the servos and limits and DRO pickups whatever they're called, spindle sensor and maybe a speed control even, i dunno.

i still have to get the area its goin into ready, need to pour a concrete slab and do somethin about the power issue, 3 phase motor and single phase source.  if i can find schematics and everything for a phase converter i'd build one, otherwise i guess we'll have to buy a single phase motor.

ive been lookin aroud a little while and i havnt found much info on the hardware to interface with the comp the software is on.  anyone have any links i probably overlooked to stuff on that?  even a few products that are ready to run so i can get an idea od price? 

thanks and i hope i get to spend some time here with the ahead adventure.
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »
Hi my name is Csaba,

I was born in Hungary 1968 on the border to Serbia. I grew up in Switzerland lived in the US, Australia, Spain and now back in Switzerland again. My interests are music, electronics, DIY Modular Synth and now CNC. I started out building my first router a year ago and kind of gotten stuck with it. I then purchased a Proxxon PF70 to route/mill my work .Soon I discovered that it can be converted into a nice little CNC machine which I successfully did. I have also built it's own enclosure
and of course all the drivers/interface. For me the main idea for a CNC would been engraving frontplates. Which this guy is unfortunately to small. But still I'm just getting into working with the machine and learning. I have recently licensed MACH3 mainly so I have support. I am very satisfied with the Software and I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Many thanks for all the helpful people out there

Csaba

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2007, 08:43:17 AM »
Hi guys, Just thought I would come in and say hi. The other mods and I don't respond to every post in here but rest assured we read them all and are glad you are here!!

Just a side note. This thread is really just a place to drop in and introduce yourself. If you are having a specific problem please feel free to post in the general mach discussion and your chances of getting help will improve greatly. Please don't get me wrong we are not trying to ignore anyone we just are trying to keep this thread on topic :)

Any way.. If you are having a problem or just need some help please do drop in the main section and speak up!! That what this board is here for!

Thanks, and welcome!  It won't be long until you are hooked like the rest of us!! It is really a wonderful feeling going from a box of parts to something you draw on a computer and can then hold in your hand.. Have fun!

Chad
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
Greetings All!
My name is Getrpicker, live in the lone star state.  New to hobby cnc. I want to switch from Turbocnc to MAch3.
I have soooo many questions, but don't know how to ask.  Files that i use in turbocnc don't seem to work
properly in Mach3, so, any ideas about converting would be of help.
Thanks

Offline rev

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »
G'day, my name is Revine I live on the gold coast, Australia.
I have been in the automotive industry for thirty years and more and love to tinker with anything mechanical.
My hobby since knee high to a grasshopper has always been building model air craft and flying anything from models to hang gliders and ultralight aircraft.
The models has grown to ultralight aircraft, the parts need to be made got whole lot more that's why I'm here hoping to learn.
I'll be asking if you all could help.
Many thanks,
Revine

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
I'm Mark Hickler. I am new to CNC. I am developing special tools for building banjos. My current project is a CNC lathe with two cross slides. see www. hicklerbanjo.com. I bought a four axis controller from Mike Beck. It has not shipped yet. I'm going to need some help!
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:39 AM »
Hello all.
Real name is George and have never have ran a CNC machine. About to buy small one to see if I have can learn something about CNC. Will be using Mach3 and VcarvePro/PhotoVcarve.

I needed some MDF cut and took it to a local guy who has a shopbot and after watching him I was hooked.

Day job is telecom tech.  Spent a little over 6 years in the US Army in computer operations. Got out and stuck with computer operations and or network types of jobs since.  Hope to learn enough about CNC in the next 3-5 years so it will be able to support itself as a hobby when I retire from my day job.
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2007, 05:29:10 AM »
Hi

I am Adrian from Penang, Malaysia.  I have a small shop with CNC machines, and we are on the lookout for low cost solutions.  I have been introduced to this site by a friend who swears by the product and services offered. So here I am today.

Thank you for any advice and support that I may request.

Adrian Chin