Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:14:56 PM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4524962 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #1630 on: January 03, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
Hey all!

Ive been building my own cnc router and visiting here the last few years to get ideas and to read up.

Started 5 years ago I saw a cnc router on youtube and went wow....totally made buy a diy... I can do that. I had a background in fabrication and welding. Electronics not so much. So my first step was ordering a driverboard and 4 stepper motors, and a power supply. So after some fidgeting and a tutorial edition of mach 3 I got em running.

The following year we had a house built and started planning on the size machine I had room for. The house only has a 2 car garage and Had to get both cars in. So I managed to squeeze in a machine with a 2 foot, by 4 foot cutting area. The machine is built so a 4x8 piece of plywood can be run 2 feet at a time, if i were to move it to the middle of the garage. And in the future its only a partial rebuild to go 4x8 feet or 4x10.

So, its been 5 years getting only small 20 minute blocks of time, and at one time I was tempted to give up on it. But the last few months Ive gotten alot done on unemployment. So I got the limit switches to work and played with the machine.

Today I got the x and y axis zero'd I think. each time I tried to confirm within .002 it would jump off by .020" all going in x+ and y+. Those axis are roller number 25 roller chain drive. What kind of accuracy is expected from roller chain?

And started to work with the back lash, but then I had a thought that have me doin this all over again. I am only running a trial version of Mach 3. When I upgrade to the full version will it take on all my settings or am I wasting my time?

Well anyway my name is Tyler, and I know I will have more questions in the future.
« Reply #1631 on: January 03, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
Tyler ,
through a board on that bad boy and see what it will do ! once you see what it is capable of doing than adjust it to what you need it to do . You can't cut much with 500 lines maybe the road runner . you can go to the vectoring store and download 3D machinist for free and run the free samples , this will give you a good idea what your machine can do. I was doing the same thing you are ,a year ago,this week I carved the last supper . Spend the money and buy Mach3 you will need it to do anything . you will learn everything you need to know by running the machine, start cutting!!
Johnyank
« Reply #1632 on: January 08, 2013, 03:52:43 AM »
Hi there,

Nice to be here.Having recently bought two mills complete with computers etc,I finally decided to put them to some use but I might as well be looking into the abyss because I've no idea about coding and the like.I had a look around the sight and it all seems very informative (if you know what you're talking about) but I'm absolutely lost.The guy who sold me the machines included a few files for me to experiment on.Took a while but I figured it all out in the end.Now I want to start doing my own thing but ain't got a clue where to start,which has landed me here.i'm hoping someone here will point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Vinny

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: January 08, 2013, 04:12:23 AM »
Hi Vinny,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few sample files in this thread http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,18345.0.html which may help to get you started alternately take a look at the various Wizards within Mach3.
Start out with something really simple and just work from there. As mentioned in the previous post 'hands-on' experience is probably the best way of learning.
Post any questions you may have, under a new topic, in the General section and help / suggestions will follow.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #1634 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
help? just got a License & my stepper motors r not workin! thanx r neely!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: January 09, 2013, 01:37:58 AM »
Hi Neely,

Post details of your machine and controller and as many other details as are relevant together with your current profile .xml file (in Mach3 folder) as a new topic in the General section and suggestions to resolving your problem will follow.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #1636 on: January 14, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
Hi, my name is Peter.
I'm in the Uk and am building my own cnc machine.

Having some issues with Configurations. Will post soon.
Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Pete
« Reply #1637 on: January 14, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
NEED SOME HELP

MY NAME IS HARRY (gearhead1)  I HAVE A HOME MACHINE SHOP THAT I PLAY IN.  MY EQUIPMENT  CONSISTS OF A BRIDGEPORT KNEE MILL WITH DRO,  13X40 LATHE, SMALL SURFACE GRINDER, A HARDINGE TURRET LATHE,  BRIDGEPORT 412X VMC, AND WELDING EQUIPMENT.

I LOVE DESIGNING AND BUILDING MECHANICAL STUFF.  CURRENTLY I AM IN THE PROCESS OF CONVERTING THE TURRET LATHE TO A CNC TOOL.  I HAVE PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH CNC CONVERSIONS.  I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE DOWNLOAD OF MACH3.  I HAVE PURCHASED THE SOFTWARE HOWEVER I HAVE NOT INSTALLED IT ONTO MY SHOP COMPUTER YET BECAUSE I WANT TO RUN IT IN DEMO MODE ON MY LAP TOP JUST TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH MACH3.

WHEN I OPEN MACH3 MILL UP EVERYTHING LOADS UP BUT THE RESET BUTTON IS FLASHING AND THERE IS A MESSAGE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN ABOUT THE E-STOP.  WHEN I RESET THE RESET BUTTON IT JUST KEEPS BLINKING AND THE E-STOP MESSAGE WILL NOT GO AWAY.  WHAT CAN I DO TO GET PAST THIS ERROR SO I CAN PLAY.

THANK YOU

HARRY

HARRYL46@MSN.COM
« Reply #1638 on: January 19, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
Hi ,
I appreciate the invite . I have read through some of the introductions can tell there are many hundreds of years of experience in many various industries on this forum . That to me makes this an invaluable resource of information and knowledge . Knowledge that in some cases we as a society are losing .
I am brand new to this forum . So I look forward to obtaining much needed knowledge in the area of CNC .
My background in quick order is . Trade school from 1973 - 1976 for general metalworking . Sheet Metal , Machining and Welding . When I graduated from high school in 1977 I started my own welding shop . And had it open until 1980 when I had the opportunity to take a job with the power co.  I started as a helper ( basically an entry level position ) in one of their Nuclear Power Stations . Shortly after that I bid into Mechanical Maintenance Dept and went through an Apprenticeship to become a journeyman power plant mechanic . I also became a certified Pipe Welder . I worked at my home plant as well as traveling to other plants in our fleet until 1989 . I was offered since I had some prior machining exp . To Apprentice in our Machine Shop under the instruction of a Tool and Die Maker from Belgium . I spent 4 years with him and in 1993 he retired and I was given his position as Day Shift Machinist . I currently still hold that position . Other than the welding certs which I gave up in 2008 . I in 2008 was offered to an Apprentice Instructor Position in addition to my Machinist position . Our Apprentice Program is finally bringing some youth into our industry . The co. I work , our union the IBEW and our local State College partnered up and started working on it in 2006 and in 2008 started our first classes . Since then we have  successfully been turning out new journeyman Mechanics , Electricians and Instrument and Control Specs . As of this year we have hired right at 100 new personnel  who have advanced to the journeyman status .
I have always had my own machines and welding equipment at my home as well . I am somewhat of a hoarder so I wont bother to list what all I have :) actually what I don't have would probably be shorter  lol .
In a power plant as a machinist our need for CNC is very limited . Most of what we do is repair work , design and fabrication of a specialized tool , fabrication of an obsolete part . I also do a great deal of in place machining or what could be referred to as field machining . In some case I have to design and build my own field machine to do a specific job  . I actually have had only one CNC machine at our plant and that is an EZ Trac Bridgeport . I had it retrofitted with a Prototrac System in 2006 . I'm sure most of you know that this is mostly a conversational type machine , with mostly canned cycles .
Where I teach at is the College Campus . There they happen to have a Haas Mini Mill and Mini Lathe 07 models with about 20 hrs on them . Mainly because no one there knows how to operate them .
Hence my new interest in CNC . Over the past year I have started retrofitting one of my home mills plus picked up an older Bosto Matic and I am currently building a CNC Plasma Table . So I have purchased a CAD program Alibre . And am struggling trying to learn to use it .  I have followed Mach as a machine controller for a few years now . And decided to use it on my machines . Much of that decision was based on what I saw as far as support from forums like this one for it .
Although in what I do as a Power Plant or manual Machinist I have a great deal of knowledge , thanks to many diligent and patient individuals who over the past thirty years have given me something priceless .That would be their knowledge .
In the area of CNC I truly only know enough to be dangerous lol . I do good to be able to use my android cell phone :)
So please bear with my stupid questions which I will probably have to ask multiple times . My Goal is before I die ( Which hopefully will be awhile longer ) I will become able to use CAD and CAM and the machines I am building somewhat proficiently .

Ken Hall  

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:49 AM »
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a sneaky feeling that we may be learning more from you than you will learn from us.  :D ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE