Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:54:22 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4516101 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #1260 on: September 13, 2011, 05:07:48 AM »
   ;D
 Hi Graham welcome aboard there is no such thing as a "RETIRED ENGINEER",  my old Master used to say just come to work and keep doing a good turn for everybody and your job will be safe, that saying wore very thin over the years.
  unfortunately this is only a introduction site and all questions should be addressed to the general forum where the guys will be glad to set you on the right path

Dick  ;) 

« Reply #1261 on: September 15, 2011, 10:25:51 AM »
I go by rapture and am very new to mach3,never got this deep into machine control programing.As a electronics tech for 25 years or so I have work on different types of cnc 's but most offten had the operator there and go into the maintenance diagnostic program (ladder logic to see the I/O functions  to start looking for hardware problems.  About two years ago I bought a 4x4 cnc router with mach3.2 and never set up the machine, working to much on other things . Well the time has come so I started first had no electrical prints and the connection to the axis drives where not correct. The jog controller in mach3 showed me that z button moved y axis y moved x and x moved z axis so i wired the drive outputs to the correct  button function on the jog control. Then started to look for training and found artsoft site and began the tutorials and Manuel's. This  machine  had a lot of thing checked  in the configuration and would not run correctly all  good now,have run a few wizards with some editing. I  know i can run any ware on the table OK but now i would like to set the ref all limits . I  have tuned the drive motors to with in .125 inch's using the axis calibration (steps per unit) cycle. Now when i ref all home my y axis move to limit touches and moves off great the z move to the limit about a inch and zeros the Doro and stops without hitting the limit same with the x axis . They act like there is a limit of travel somewhere in the setup  any help out there would help me to move forward. The reason i would like the home ref all is for tool change location.
« Reply #1262 on: September 15, 2011, 10:40:03 AM »
Sorry will post question on open forum
« Reply #1263 on: September 15, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
   ;D
Hi Rapture welcome aboard, I see that you have already posted your questions to the open forum, where I'm sure that you will get the answers, it is always great to hear from new members

Dick  ;)
« Reply #1264 on: September 15, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »
hi new to cnc just browsing around site trying to pick up some tips on smooth running  thanks for the invite davy
« Reply #1265 on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
   ;D
Hi wee davy welcome aboard great to hear from new members,CNC can become very addictive,seek and you shall find is so true when you brows the various threads

Dick   ;)
« Reply #1266 on: September 15, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
where would the best place to ask about the smooth running of my steppers as they only run well when i click on video mode if you could be so kind many thanks davy
« Reply #1267 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
   ;D
Hi wee davy you will notice on this site there is a caption General Mach Discussion it would be rest to post a question on one of the sites listed

Dick ;)

Offline swbre

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 17, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
Hello.  I have just joined the group in an effort to learn more about the Mach3 operating system and it's possible replacement for the system provided with my CNC Masters mill.
I have a degree in mechanical engineering from Georgia Tech and was working as an engineer up to 4 years ago when I asked to be assigned to the toolroom.  They reluctatly agreed, thinking it would be a mistake.  But now 4 years later I still think it was the best professional decision of my life.   The shop I work in has only manual tools but its well equipped wit 2 full-sized Bridgeport type mills, 2 lathes (14x40 and 17x62), 2 surface grinders, bandsaws, bench grinders, etc.  I make special tools necessary for the reassembly of automatic transmissions.
I began with CNC about 18 years ago when I worked for the local tecnical college and they had purchased a Denford CNC mill, but couldn't get it running.  In that position I learned G and M code programming, AutoCad and MasterCam.
About 10 years ago my wife bought me a used 13 x 40 manual lathe for a Christmas present.
Several years later I bought a Rong Fu type tabletop mill from Wholesale tool.
This year I bought a CNC Masters Baron milling machine.  Initially I did all the programming by hand but later bought BobCad V24.

I've been machining since my dad started me on a small lathe he had.  We always had power and hand tools in the basement or garage and we always fixed our own stuff.

I was a Nuke Machinist Mate in the US Navy from 1973-1979.

My other interests are motorcycles of the 70s especially MotoGuzzi, BMW and Norton. 

Thanks for listening and I look forward to some great learning here.
« Reply #1269 on: September 17, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
  ;D ;)
Hi swbre welcome aboard you have certainly joined the right group, C N C and vintage motocycles and a wife that buys you toys as well I'm impressed

Dick   ;)