Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:25:38 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4526467 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #2020 on: December 23, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
Hi,
My name is Syafiq, i'm from Malaysia, very new with Machining.
Right now, i'm planning to use CNC Minitech for my PhD project, to machine Microfluidics.

« Reply #2021 on: December 24, 2014, 05:34:54 AM »
My Name is Carl, Just nearing the completion of my first CNC Router. I'm a Fitter and Machinist and love DIY anything. I have owned a CNC Plasma in the past and operated CNC Lathes. I'm looking forward to getting this thing going once I iron out a major problem (posted in other area). I will frequent here regularly as I do with other forums relating to other interests.
All the best and MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Carl
« Reply #2022 on: December 25, 2014, 03:19:33 AM »
Hello everyone
My name is Ken, I have just started using a combination lathe and milling machine that is called Patriot Mill. I have used it for a short time in manual mode, but it is set up to work with the Mach 3 system. I am just getting the computer and will be installing the Mach 3 system shortly. I have been studying the tutorials and manuals and hopefully everything goes well.I herd that old dogs have a hard time learning new tricks, but this old dog is going to try haha so please be gentle when I need a hand. thanks to all before hand and have a safe and Merry Christmas  
« Reply #2023 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:47 PM »
Hello!

I have been using Mach 3 for years on my Taig mini mill! I am considering building some new machines and have finally signed up for more input and discussion.

Cheers
Brian
« Reply #2024 on: January 01, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
Greetings.   I am wading into the world of CNC.  This site has already been helpful in my introduction.

P.
« Reply #2025 on: January 02, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
Hi.

My name is Johan, goes under the nick Hondo at this forum. I live in Norway and work with fiberoptics and occasionally copper cables. In 2011 I bought an Emco VMC100 with an awfully old TM02-controller. It ran fine until yesterday, hence the reason I'm on this forum now. :) But now it's time to bite the "retrofitbullet", as they say. I'm gonna need alot of help from you experienced retrofit-guys. I also have an Emcoturn 120 that need the same treatment. Expect to see me roam the forum with more or less dumb questions, and hopefully a building thread of my own soon. ;)

Cheers

Johan

« Reply #2026 on: January 04, 2015, 02:52:04 PM »
Hello.
My name is Gayle and I live in Tucson AZ with my Wife and Grandson.  I am a retired Firefighter from California.  My Hobbies are Woodworking and most recently Metal working.  I have a Mini Mill and Mini Lathe which inspired my interest in CNC.  Right now I am waiting for my CNC Router to arrive, so I'm a newbie and on a Slow learning curve.  

Gayle
« Reply #2027 on: January 05, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Hi My Name is Todd. I am from Southwest Wisconsin. I am a project Designer for a EPC Firm in Madison WI. We design Wind and Solar farms.
I have a upgraded Shapeoko 2. My machine is 1m X 1.8m Gives me a cutting area of a little over 30in x 63in. I just got in to CNC about 3 months ago. I just got done doing an electronics upgrade to my unit which consisted of a C10 BOB and 4 SainSmart 2M542 Stepper drivers. running Nema23 Motors on all axis. 2:1 Belt drive on Z axis. With this upgrade I purchased Mach3. So far I love it. My machine is way faster and smoother.
« Reply #2028 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
Hi My name is Dave and today 1-9-15 is my first day joining. I have looked around and think this is awesome. I am definitely going to build a CNC router. I am good at reading and researching and building things but this is a whole new deal with the integration of all the components to make a quality tool. It seems most everyone is gracious in their replies and I am thankful about that. Not like the time I tried to learn to surf and practically got thrown out of the water by "locals".
I am looking for help, guidance, suggestions, and even moderate criticism if it gets me to a better understanding of the scope of work. My first question is how to go about this in the context of this forum? Do I start a thread on my investigation and build? If so where? Do I just find topics and jump in there? I would like to have a clear understanding of what works well but before I start. I feel I need to have a full understanding of the architecture of the system before I start shelling out money. My understanding so for is that I need/want:
1. computer/laptop running Mach
2. way to communicate through Ethernet
3. External controller
4. motor drivers
4. motors
5. other electrical such as sensors, relays, Estop, and things I don't even know about yet.
6. good mechanics, no great solid mechanics

I definitely plan on doing all the build myself.
Any help is much appreciated, maybe an overview of system architecture or some direction. Your words will not be wasted as I am very serious about this project. I'm even cleaning my garage if that tells you the level of commitment.

Drawingdave

I don't have a quote yet but I'm working on it.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 10, 2015, 01:39:32 AM »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps start a thread (in one of the Show'n'tell sections) then you should get constructive suggestions on any build ideas you are planning. Alternately just join in on any threads that are relevant to your ideas - the choice is all yours and the most important thing is just to have fun whilst building and learning.

Tweakie.
PEACE