Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:07:25 AM

Author Topic: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!  (Read 4515916 times)

Re: New people welcome !! Come in here and introduce your self!
« Reply #1720 on: April 29, 2013, 07:04:13 AM »
mpg mode the jog mode is stuck in cont. and step the step light will not go out so the machine can rapid. the machine will home out ok but after that it will only move in increments.i am running version r3.042.040 thanks for any and all help
« Reply #1721 on: April 29, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »
Hi All:
My name is Jim Knee (yes Knee), from Newfoundland Canada.  I bought a mini lathe a few years ago to try my hand making a few parts for my RC hobbies.  Little did I realize at the time what a learning curve there would be to actually make good usable parts.  I gained a great admiration for machinists and got hooked on the whole metal machining scene.  I recently got myself a Grizzly 0704 clone and in the process of converting it to 3 axis CNC, using Mach3 of course.  Looking forward to expanding my hobby machining capabilities.

For the past 30 years I have been involved with Electrical / Instrumentation type work and have a fair bit a experience programming PLCs and other machine level gear.  The electronics and programming side of the CNC work reminds me of other things I've worked on in the past.  I also have a pretty good background in AutoCAD so that will certainly come in handy as well.

Nice to be part of such a diverse and knowledgeable group.
« Reply #1722 on: May 03, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here, just wanted to pop in and say hey.  I just got a 6040Z CNC and having issues, will check out the other threads for some help.  Thanks!
« Reply #1723 on: May 05, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
I've been doing a fair bit of lurking for the last month or so, just until I had my mill working properly and a vague grip on CAD/CAM basics - mainly from finding my way around various free and demo software packages.
I've taken the plunge and purchased Mach3 and BobCad/Cam and am now slogging slowly up that learning curve whilst trying to avoid getting too excited about what I might be able to do once basic competence is achieved ;-)
ATB,
Nick
« Reply #1724 on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
my name is leon. im new to maching and i bought a smithy 3 n 1. im going to try to convert it to cnc. so im here to see what i can learn.
« Reply #1725 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:07 PM »
Hello,
My name is Mike. I am a helicopter pilot by profession and have a home shop with a Smithy 3-in1, a 2400 degree foundry for casting aluminum, brass, etc and I have a 4x4 CNC Plasma table running Mach 3. I am still trying to get my plasma table dialed in and am glad I finally got around to joining this forum. I have some questions and will be looking for some information.
I would like to thank everyone in advance for sharing their knowledge and experience!

Thanks, Mike
« Reply #1726 on: May 09, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
Greetings Mike !
WOW .... a chopper pilot, Smithy, foundry, plasma + + + + who knows what ? ?
Looks like we are fortunate to have another T. Stark in our midst.
GLAD to have you on board !

WELCOME !
Enjoy your stay,
Russ
« Reply #1727 on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:05 PM »
Thanks Overloaded!
« Reply #1728 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:52 AM »
Hello, Im Darrell and i just got a cnc 3 axis router. Im relatively familiar with machining but have had no formal instruction so I may not know some of the correct terms used to identify certain aspects of cnc machining or any other machining for that matter. But I seem to have a talent from a past life or something that allows me to do a lot of things.
I am completely overwhelmed by the information and I am hoping someone with an abundance of knowledge about the processes involved will kind of take me under their wing with this type of creating.
Let me start by saying that The machine was donated to me by a friend who saw my work without this tool and thought I should take it to the next level. Ive been wanting to step across into the computerized side, but was not financially able to make the leap.

Anyone wanting to see my free hand work may do so on facebook my screen name is Quake Brakes and I fabricate various custom accessories.

I wont say any more about that at this time but I am hoping to find someone who knows this program inside and out and who can help me become a master of my machine. At this time Im not even sure what its called other than a cnc 3 axis router.

Im in Rockwall, Tx. Near Dallas, and would prefer to find someone close to that area so that my education would be able to excel.
However, I will accept any and all positive direction from basic setup to finished product.

I didnt hide my email address so that anyone that is interested in helping a newbie to greatness would be able to contact me directly.

Thanks for being here, I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,
Darrell
« Reply #1729 on: May 11, 2013, 12:27:42 AM »
Hi there,
new to the forum and cnc. In construction phase of first cnc mill, a baby one, 220x220x150 (mm) with quality second hand linear ways, zerobacklash
ground ballscrews, 5 phase steppers fitted with <3 arc min backlash planetaires. Resolution 1um ( < 0.5um backlash) at full step. Finer resolution
dubious given the backlash of the planetaires, budget did not extend to harmonic drives.
My initial application is PCB manufacture using EAGLE, it generates gcode, machined with MACH3.
Testing to date MACH (latest stable release, demo only) running one parallel port to MB02 BOB thru drivers to steppers. Bit of a learning curve to setup
but no major probs. Had some difficulty getting stable output pulses from my old PC. Was necessary to modify PC setups to allow pulser to run properly.
Using second hand KR-5M drivers, a bit wimpy and underdone but cheap. Mountains of torque at 300mm/min but crappy @ 500mm/min. Having opted
for 5 phase steppers the choice of drivers is limited with good second hand units costing as much and more for say Gecko's are new. Will have to make
do until mill operational. First PCB's likely to be own design driver boards! Published specs suggest 1000mm/min should be achievable with decent drivers
@100V.
My reading in the forum mainly centred around a dedicated computer to run MACH3. Interested in industrial types running WINDOWS EMBEDDED/ XPlite
or optimised install of XP.
I'm an electrical/electronics tech involved with repairing industrial welders/plasmas and the like. Other interests are competitive sailing, model aircraft
and glider flying (budget constrained), food and sex...lol, and not in that order!
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'