Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:06:58 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1362232 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1330 on: February 28, 2010, 08:10:55 AM »
« Reply #1331 on: February 28, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Rich,

The only way I can get LT to create a proper file with both rough and finish passes is to have it in radius mode. Of course this means that turn must also be in radius mode to cut the part properly. This is less than desirable since all of our previous files are created to be cut in diameter mode.
When the DXF file, LT and turn are all in diameter mode it simply will not work.

I've created DXF files in AutoCAD 2009 2D mode and exported them as version 2007 and version 12 with the exact same results in LT and Turn. Also as a test I created a DXF file in Corel draw version 13 using the DXF file exporter and discovered the results in LT and turn to be the same.

Kerry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 28, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
ART,
I would  suggest that the code posting be based on a "straight" thru senerio.
Draw in a mode, LT need to be set  in that mode, the code is posted to agree, and the user needs to set
Mach3 Turn to that mode.

Maybe you are ahead of us already........but let me add, there may be a bug associated with that particular file because of the profile.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 28, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
Hi All,
I just posted a revised Appendix "E".  :)

Now to get the Appendix "F"....MACH3 TURN - QUICK REFERENCE draft done  :P

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 01, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
ART,
Have a look at the attached, as i think this will give you a glue on where to look for the
gcode / posting problem  in recent replies.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
ART,
Posted code will not reflect a Z offset when the yellow pentagon is used.
Example below, no offset, then a negative and a positive offset....the code is all the same.

RICH
« Reply #1336 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
Art, Rich, and all,

I'm very happy with LT.  I haven't found any bug's in it.  The finish passes saved enough time that my total cutting time, is now 2-1/2 min., which is about the same amount of time it takes me to do my secondary operations on the turned piece after I part it off.  So both I and the lathe are busy continuously... no waiting any more and my output per hour is up!  I've cut almost 400 pieces so far. 

Now, I'm cutting wood, and the rough cuts are very coarse.  Pass depth is 1mm.  This means that there is a lot of material left when the finish pass begins, so I'm using 3 finishing operations and I tinkered with the params of each so that each one removes about the same amount of material, with the last one a little light. 

I hand optimized the G-code.  I added bi-directional cutting on most of the rough cutting and pruned some redundant code on both the rough and the finishes.  No complaints.  I like bi-directional cutting but I recognize that I may be the only one that wants it.

One question:  You earlier added separate X and Z feed rates at my suggestion, which was a huge help.  Should these two feed rates also used in the finish passes and vector-summed?   While cutting the finish passes, the noise  sounds like it may be cutting too fast when there is rapid change in the X direction. It's most noticeable when I'm cutting a narrow V-groove and  the bottom of the groove matches the radius of the cutter, so the slightest movement in X causes a lot of cutting.  Hasn't caused a problem but the noise makes me wonder.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Dave

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:40 AM »
Hi Guys:

Just got back from down south.. I see the issue with rad/dia.. small error on my part, here's a fix. The Fine path didnt take rad/dia into account.

Ill digest the other comments as I get back to it..

Thx
Art

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »
Rich,

On those other turn wizards, can you send those to me or let me know where I can get them.
I have done a few myself and would like to have those also, until I get brave enough to try out Lazyturn.

Arnie

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 05, 2010, 04:32:53 PM »
Arnie,
The additional wizards were created and some of the originals modified by a friend and i haven't had chance to check them out. I know there are one or two that are not complete or  don't work. Some of the mods that were done had to with posting additional info, like the input was diameter, tol info, date, etc and most i think work now work in diamater and radius mode. Additionaly he modified the code so that it's generic thus shorting a lot of them. He also changed some so that they will auto chamfer the edges only  and who knows what else.

I hope you understand why I am reluctant to share or post them. He or I will when we have at least tested them . He is also making a new screen set for them so till then, hang loose as they will be shared.

RICH