Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359543 times)

Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1390 on: April 19, 2010, 12:31:54 AM »
Greetings,

I have a file that LT can't seem to do a proper finish pass on. Roughing's OK but the finish pass always cuts well beyond the finished dimension in the drawing and the code makes the deepest cut first??

See attachments.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kerry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
Kerry,
I think ART needs to address the issue, but, see the attached.
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 19, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »
Hi:

3d IS a problem, the file must be in 2d.. but other than that the error is one of a secondary dll I use for spinning and creating the main offsets that sometimes has trouble determining inside from outside. Im looking into it, but it seems the profile ending on or behind zero can cause this as well..

Art
« Reply #1393 on: April 19, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
I'm a bit confused about this 2-D versus 3-D stuff.

I understand there is no a difference in the files (although I have no idea what the differences would be) but what is confusing me is I always run AutoCAD in 2-D mode so how is it that I'm creating 3-D files?

Obviously you folks know how to check to see what type of file it is so could you share that information with me so I can check my files to make sure they're in 2-D?

Thanks,
Kerry

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #1394 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:22 PM »
I've never used LT, or even a lathe, but the .dxf in your previous post is 2D, not 3D.
There is no 2D mode in AutoCAD, you can do 3D at any time in AutoCAD. In other words, you can't turn 3D off. Not sure what these guys are referring to, but when they say 3D, they probably mean a 3D solid or mesh. You can't accidentally create one of those if your just drawing lines. As long as your always drawing in the top view, you shouldn't have any problems.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: April 19, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
The file you posted would not even open in LazyTurn on my end and i got an error.
When the dxf is opened in Microstation it says it is 3d file, and it needs to be converted/exported to a 2d before Microstation wll read it as a 2D file. I have a number of different versions of both Microstation and AutoCAD. So i had a problem with it, that's why i deleted your profile and drew a different one / very close to it.
When someone posts a file i will just spend only so much time fooling with it if it dosn't import into LazyTurn. There realy aren't that many files in two years that i have had a problem with( here ) and yours happened to be one of them.
There is a difference in the files and i will not repeat what is written in APPENDIX "C" of the manual. Unfortunately i no longer have the access to an expert in the dxf field any more ( he fooled with dxf problems since 1985 and would look at something for me and tell me exactly what was up ( i don't have that kind knowledge).
So, what can i say...........
RICH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:04:24 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 19, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Gerry,
Just tried something, in Microstation it shows all the elements as 3d on import and i changed a setting ( good grief haven't done this one in years) such that the elements were "Independant of View" and it exported and worked fine in LazyTurn.
Is there any setting in AutoCad like that?  ???
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
Rich:

The error I got indicated a line of length .00000000000000127 in length.Thisline was hosing the load so I assumed it was a 3d issue.
When I got rid of that error, it loaded but cut the finish on the wrong side.. Weird file in some way..

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
ART,
and it exported and worked fine in LazyTurn
Just a little clarifcation, it loaded into LT, but still had the rough and finish on the wrong side as you found. If you fool with the rough settings and get it such that there is a clearance produced then the finish will seem to work, but, those rough settings may not be practical.
It seems that this problem has come about in the last revision or two since i don't remember it happening going back in time.
I didn't go into depth to see if there was a "dot" in the drawing......Like you said, every once in whiile you get a weird drawing.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »
ART,
Try a negative value as shown in the pic. Seemed to do the trick....  ??? Never tried a negative value  ::)
Didn't look at the code to see what was generated.
Just thinking outside the box.
RICH