Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:25 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1362298 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1180 on: January 26, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
>>So basicaly your saying your cutting on the back side of the tool and that dosen't work to well.

No, not really. Lets say you have a diamond bit angled 15degrees to the left. A finish pass will cut with the tip along the trajectory from right to left and will move out so the rear flank doesnt hit
the profile. You must be using very small tool diamters to get those finish passes. General rule shoudl be that if you use the "tool placement" button and click anywhere on the red line, the tool shoudl not clip the profile.

The .01 will be less accurate than .0001 for example, but what to use depends on length and system speed. Some will find they get 1000 checks per 10 seconds or so, so a 1" toolpath at .0001 will take 10 seconds, a 10" object woudl take 100 seconds.. so the tolerance setting really shoudl depend on the accuracy needed and the length of the piece. We'll fudge aroudn a bit to discover the best setting.

You will be able to foll it Im sure, I know I can, but for general profiles it shoudl work pretty well. When you fina bad finish pass, ( or roughing) try takign a picture with the bit set to the problem area so I can see the tool error in the profile, it may giev me a hint as to why its happening. On the corner you describe for example, I suspect youd find the tool fits all allong that profile, though
it will cut on thew rear flank.. which is why the profile will be clipped at start and end to make sure it doesnt collide badly. Still much to do but its looking liek a good start anyway. :)

Thx
Art
« Reply #1181 on: January 27, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »
Hi Art
i have been looking on the forum from time to time waiting for LT just download the test file and looking forward to working with it I'll let you know my finding's, yes not many lathe programs around all kinds of mill programs though funny thing though with so many turning centers what do they use? thanks for sticking with it.

Dennis
« Reply #1182 on: January 27, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
Hi,
This is Test #7
See if this will post
Thanks,   Hank S.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 27, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
ART,
Don't know if important at this time, but notice the finish cut generated for the 60 deg rotated
tool. I guess that's a good indication as you noted before about the finish cut not following the
profile and cutting into the stock.

I know we requested this before, namely, being able to just get the code for the profile.
Here is my pitch for it. Supose you machine a piece and it's just slightly over size for whatever
 reason. You would be able just to tweak the X axis start point and do another run just
using the code. Additionaly, if one deisred, the profile gcade could be easily modified.

May be a little ahead of things on this one, but where will the start point be for the next pathing
be when a change of tool is required. Will it be offset from say the roughing pass?
Will the tool be positioined based on the tip circle or end of the tool face? Just soemthing to think about.
Maybe it would be nice to have the tool go back to some referenced position.

Is it possible , well rather easily, because you have the info for tip radius and enscribed circle along with
tool rotation angle , to calculate /  provide an X and Z offset to the tool end point?
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 27, 2010, 10:59:40 PM »
Hi Rich:

The oscillating seems caused by the tool cutting the profile and emerging on the other side.. Ill have to look into that..
Was the roughing done with the tool at 0 degree's? It doesnt seem to agree with the finish pass??

Yes, I think I can give you a button for putting out code for just teh profile if you like. Ill add it to the dev list.

All paths are planned as tip center, not tip end, its why its important the setting of tip radius is correct..

thx
Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 28, 2010, 12:33:46 AM »
ART,
Was the roughing done with the tool at 0 degree's?

Yes.  You don't see it in 30 deg , but I wanted to see if at 60 if the finish pass would fail  or show something obvoius that the pass is not good.

profile if you like. Ill add it to the dev list

My gut tells me it will be used more than you think.

not tip end, its why its important the setting of tip radius is correct

Yep and understand and certainly can see it from a calculation point of view.
The program will do just fine ie; pathing based on different tools etc, but on the practical side of things the user will have tool setting problems. You can't address that with the program.
Let me try to explain......
Example is threading, you have a threading tool with a radius and most users can't relate how far to back the tool away from the piece / reference  because they don't know where the point of it is relative to the radius center relative to the path.
So i figured if it was easy ( nothing is ) the program could give the user the sharp tip point via an offset from the radius in the X & Z and then the user could manipulate the axes to get the tool into position. The program dosn't need this , it's just a nice feature that the user could use witout calcualting it or measuring it.
Just something that you may want to consider later on as a nicety of the program.

RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 28, 2010, 09:29:24 AM »
Hi Rich:

>>most users can't relate how far to back the tool away from the piece / reference  because they don't know where the point of it is relative to the radius center relative to the path.

I'll give some thought to that one and see what I can come up with. Its easy enough for me to simply add the radii back in at post time..perhaps just a checkbox..

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
ART,
Get an error on this one. I can get a finish pass but roughs are a problem.
I worked before in LT.
RICH

MODIFIED: There was a small arc at the end which created the problem as shown in pic #2.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:09:43 PM by RICH »

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 28, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »
Rich:

I think that one failed before.. it has a very sharp up at one end with a sharp down on top.. creates a spin intersection..

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 28, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
See my modified post above. Your memory is better than mine. ;)
RICH