Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:37:59 AM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359653 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1370 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Rich:

>>I would have thought that you would take the dxf info and manipulate it some .
>>What does LazyCam do to get just the profile for example? 

The profile is easy..its just the raw dxf input.. but that has little correspondance to the finish path profiles.
Its hard to explain, but since the arcs get broken up in the calculations, they simply dont exist anymore
other than the raw dxf inptu profile, but thats useless to put out, any tool used with that would simply gough the
stock on one side of the tool or another.
   While I could put it out as a profile in GCode , I dont really see much use for it, be pretty rare Id think when it could even be modified,
because no matter how many tools you use, getting the complete profile cut with no exclusion due to tools is very rare I woudl think..depending on the profile.

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 24, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
ART,
The only inclusion would be tool tip radius. Why couldn't the user pick four points, one where they would start the axis move,
the next is the start point along the dxf profile, the third is where the tool stops along the dxf profile, and then a fourth which is away from the profile along with a direction. The user would use the test tool location to check that the tool is not gouging the work along the selected part. I don't know if you can computer automate what a user can intuitively see so quickly. BTW, if one couldn't do the above then he would split the dxf.

No it's not automated,and tied in with all the other pathing, but at some point it may no longer be feasable to try automating it. Maybe you can even say it is not lazy anymore at that final point.

A profile code is of value since that just gives the user the code and option of manual tool application. For a more advanced user they can extract portions of the code as they wish and add simple moves to and from. On small stuff for instance,I can make a tool which will not gouge the workpiece, a good example is the three balled handle as only a special ground tool ( radiused on both sides and with a point ) will accomplish it using the code of the actual profile.

The above is all divorced from the previous pathing.

Just some thoughts,
RICH

« Reply #1372 on: March 31, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »
Hi All,
Here is a rough draft of Appendix "F". Feel free to tear it apart........ ;D
RICH
Hi All,
Here is a rough draft of Appendix "F". Feel free to tear it apart........ ;D
RICH

It looks good but I could not print it because you have it locked. ?
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Astroguy,
Printing wasn't allowed since it is a rough draft and didn't want folks wasteing paper and ink on something that will be changed numerous times. What is important is the content of the verbage. Since it covers what i think are the hardest lathe concepts to absorb.
I have modified it already and hopefully it is better on how it leads the thought process from start to a finish.
Anything you feel was confusing? I will admit that it it is not meant to be a book....... ;)
RICH
« Reply #1374 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Astroguy,
Printing wasn't allowed since it is a rough draft and didn't want folks wasteing paper and ink on something that will be changed numerous times. What is important is the content of the verbage. Since it covers what i think are the hardest lathe concepts to absorb.
I have modified it already and hopefully it is better on how it leads the thought process from start to a finish.
Anything you feel was confusing? I will admit that it it is not meant to be a book....... ;)
RICH

As a beginner to lazyturn it is something I was hoping for. I use lazycam with my mill but I am in the process of converting my 10X22 lathe to cnc and I was having trouble understanding the system for lathes. I think this will be a great help for beginners like me. I can't wait to see the finished paper. Thanks so much for writing it.
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 01, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »
Asrtroguy,
Attached shows some of the mods done to Appendix "F". No you can't print it.  Have a read and see if it helps understanding
or makes for confusion.

BTW,
There will be a fun DXF created for those wishing to try out LazyTurn. Actualy it is a complete hobby project composed of 32 turnings.
The pieces are machinable from LazyTurn generated code,now,but prefer to waite for ART's refinements to the finish pass.

RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 01, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »
Hi Rich:

Im not having much luck in enhancements, and my time has pretty much run out for this winters run.
The swapping of point data to arcs is turning out to be very hard to do on many instances of dxf's.
Ill still work on it in spare time when I can till next season, but Im unsure if youll see any more releases this year.

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 01, 2010, 09:36:43 AM »
Bah Hum Bug.....ART
I was hoping that there would some closure before next season.  :'(
It still would be nice to have just the option of the profile code and would keep folks from having to resort back to LazyCam to get it.  ;)
I understand.....thanks for all the efforts.....
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 01, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
Rich:

Ill still see what I can get done before I get swamped with summer work..

As to the profile, Im still a bit flumoxed over its value. Since it pretty much guarentees
gouging as just the true profile, Im curious as to how it could be used. But Ill see if I can at least
make a button that puts out just the profile itself before any tool collision modifications if you feel
it woudl be usefull.. mind you that woudl simply be an offset profile of the actual loaded dxf...only in Gcode..

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 01, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
Thanks Art that would be appreciated.
if you feel it woudl be usefull..
  it can be very usefull in the right turning application
mind you that woudl simply be an offset profile of the actual loaded dxf...only in Gcode..
  UNDERSTOOD

The value of the profile code would provide a single cut across the complete profile, just forget about the gouging on its use or the tool that will be used, as that code could be used with a point tool which will not gouge among other things.

I have used that code many times, especialy on smalll stuff and also taken advantage of easily manipulating the code.

RICH