Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:39:13 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1362303 times)

Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #780 on: January 11, 2009, 02:31:03 PM »
Hi guys

I learn every time A bit more.
Your input puts me on A higher level, thanks for that.

Rich

Yes indeed, when i explode the polyline it works but it remains A riddle why the file is corrupt just when relocate just that one pointer because if I relocate the same pointer back nearby where it is coming from the file loads fine.

RC

Your file loads fine, if I open it in Autocad I see that the polyline is exploded just like Rich recommended.

Art

This is to technical for me but YOU understand what is going on And that is important for the development of Lazyturn.
I am glad that I follow the Lazyturn tread from the start so I pick up all the ins and outs.

Greetings:
Willem

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 11, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
zeeschuim,
"All" can be found in Appendix A,B,C,D,E which supplements the LazyTurn manual.  ;)

The sentence:
Sharp corners are not good design in that they "introduce stress intensification factors" which downgrade the allowable forces and also affect cyclic design.

We designers and engineers have a language also. When doing a design analysis, maybe a finite element analysis
which could be inclusive of static, dynamic, vibration, thermal, seismic, etc.. , shape factors such as sharp corners or
changes in the profile would be considered and evaluated as to the impact they have on the calculations.  A shaft could be perfectly fine for a static loading of say a 1000 lbs but because the shaft has a sharp corner cut into it the allowable working load is reduced. Nicks and other imperfections in the shaft can limit the number of times the piece can cycle thru bending or whatever thus fail before one without the imperfections. So we don't put sharp corners from a design point of view unless really required.

Now, most tooling won't give you a sharp corner , and practically speaking the design would call out for a radius equal to a standard nose radius. Practically speaking you would not expect a program to allow you to cut a .1" corner radius with a .5" defined nose radius for a tool. Common sense applies. Now on the other hand, someone may be lazy and not to practical and dosen't like to create radius corners in a drawing and will let the chips fly where they may. So be it. The definition of stupid.............practical.............and genius  .................is subjective ..............and still eludes us today. :)

RICH
« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »
Hey Guy's,
Quiet in here! Got a question about the 3 fig's I attached. Just what causes the path to not get cut in the profile. Pullout,Stock Clear. Or the Depth of Cut. Been tring Many Profiles,and different config's and have come to a conclusion that all are the same as when posted with THIS, Tool, I Have Made For My Own Use, That clears all my Machine Clearence problems, One of which I am in the process of Extending  the carriage,and Handwheel, to acomadate the profile of the part I want to make. This size is what I want,and I have to make changes in the lathe to do this. What a PAIN, but then,It Look's good, and is worth the upgrade that I am doing. Art said " watch your profiles as there could be problems", and thus so. Not enough X clearence.  Just thought I would Share this info for anyone else that is going to find problem's in doing a One Off Profile. Thanks For Looking.    Thanks,   Hank S.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
Yep, I had similar occurances a while back, have a look:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,5767.700.html

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »
Hi, Hank

Post the dxf file, I have seen this before, Would like to look at it.

Chip

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
Hi Guys:

Ive fixed up a few thing.. mighta added bugs...

Anyway, Ive tried several algorithsm for the next step of calculating acutal cut from stock.. deleted the last attempt tonight.. Havent found quite the way Im happy with yet..

But this verison optimises some of the loading, catches more types of errors..

Have fun..

Art
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:07 PM »
Nice ART,
I like the wire frame option...if that's what its called.
Also, this new ver. doesn't recognise my tool .dat like the others did.
Thanks,
RC

And the tool tip radius shows as a relatively flat tip. And the stock clearance is ignored.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:32:56 PM by Overloaded »

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
hi RC:

hm.. works here OK.. whats the radius on that tool, that may be a 0 stock clearance.. but the path woudl still be generated a tool tip radius away from the actual profile..

Art

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 16, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
Hi, Art

Getting this error on quit a few dxf's that previously worked good, Some won't load at all, Groove tool doesn't seem to like any of them.

Could you post values for the dif. Tools that your using.

Chip
« Reply #789 on: January 16, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
Hey Chip,
Here ya go. Cool here this AM.