Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:38:16 AM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359591 times)

Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »
There are 2 versions:
Demo version.....same software but without the lic. , some functions blocked
Pro version.....same software but with all functions unlocked.
RC

Lazy Turn will be a separate program, but will be fully funtional if you have the LCam lic.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:46:42 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »
RC
Great then because i purcahsed a LIC for LC i have the pro version.

Dennis

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
Hi Guys:

Sorry Im a bit slow with an update. Im working on tool creations, Im doing it as a graphical tool maker that allows
you to see the tool as you build it. ( trying to make it lazy as I can..). Tool as very difficult, everyone uses different styles,
but Ill make it match 90% of you at first anyway..

I see questions about profiles and toolpaths, a profile is what you load from a dxf, LazyTurn will then generate a series
of toolpaths for that profile, from facing to roughing and finishing.. Thats the next step after tools are finished. The shape
of the tool will be important in LTurn, as it will be a grpahic object calculating any collisions in the path, and also
creating new profiles as they go so the program will know whats remaining and wont try to cut it again after roughing and such..

Anyway, Its going slow, but its going. I have tools about 1/2 done, Ill release an update so you can critique it all when tools are done,
and I while I start the Toolpathing processes..

Art

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
Well, speaking of opinions.............

After cludging about in more software that I could ever afford to purchase and having stumbled and fallen face first into Mach purely by accident I found this line of software as comfortable as a pair of old pajamas. You can just relax and do your thing. The philosophy in management was wonderfully supportive like an old friend. I was crestfallen to learn that Art was going to retire and elated to learn that he will complete the turn function. I'm one of his most devoted fans.

I will wait with baited breath to see what develops, confident that it will be very usable. The one request that I would make and the thing I needed most that wasn't there in Lazycam was a way to over ride an indicated rapid movement in order to avoid a collision.

Enjoy your retirement as you play with Turn, Art.  You deserve it!
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »
Just had an additional thought. A choice between radial and diametrical modes would certainly be a neat feature.
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »
Hi Art and guy's
Is the L-turn ready to test yet.

Dennsi
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »
Hi.

One important thing that must not be left behind is the tool radius compensation. Nobody wants a cam software that will not reproduce the final object different from the drawing.
For what I read, I think that lazyturn will "translate" a dxf file or another input file into a gcode program. It will select tools, manage toolpaths etc, and mach3 will process the gcode file generated by it.

Now a question:

The toolpath generated by the lazyturn will be the exact piece and mach3 will manage the tool radius compensation

OR

Lazyturn will create a toolpath that already includes the tooltip radius compensation ?

My suggestion is that mach3 compensates the tool radius. In this way a user is free to use its cam software. For example I made a program to do just that, translate a dxf into gcode, but the final object differs because of the radius of the tools. I must draw it already thinking on the tool and make some calculations that is difficult and easy to make mistakes.
Also, I think that this feature already should be functional in mach before more work is pointed to a "turn utility", since it is a "must" on a turn controller.

Thanks for reading.
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
Sorry, before I wrote:

"Nobody wants a cam software that will not reproduce the final object different from the drawing."

it should be:

"Nobody wants a cam software that will reproduce the final object different from the drawing."

(of course everbody wants a software that reproduces good final parts)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
Hi Guys:

Actually, In turn, the final part is quite often different from the drawing. This is due to cutter geometry. Most cutters cannot cut all parts without collisions. The true
trick is to generate a compensated path, compensated not only for the tool radius, but also for the tool shape and holder profile, AND to display the differences from the
drawing and the finshed path, so one could use another tool to clear out what wasnt cut. All this of course will take time. I currently have tools allowed to be created that mimic
most inserts and shapes, but ground tools will be a problem for a bit. At present, one will have to create a tool as close as they can to the actual tool they are using, BUT, if
one simply creates a button tool  with an inscribed circle radius of their ground tool tip, then they should be able to use such a tool to get very close to what their trying to profile.
  I have added radius vs diameter selections and well as metric vs inch unit selection. I havent allowed for a realtime conversion between the two, so a loaded drawing uses whatever
the current units are.  Now that I have a rudimentary tool availability, Ill release a version so you can have a look, several things have been cleaned up, and look pretty good, some entities ,
such as eliptical arcs are not importing properly, Im waiting on LeadTools to analyse the error in enumerating those items. However, todays release will show you how things work at present,
how you will select and create a tool. Once selected the tool will be drawn on the screen so you can get an idea of tool size vs the profile dimensions. That drawing code isnt done yet, but
creating tools is much more complex than youd think to make it as lazy as possible. You have to remember Turning is very very complex when you begin to analyse all the possible interactions
and collision possabilities. Im slow at this because Im trying to make it truly lazy, and Im not compromising very much as I go. Im hoping the added attention to details as I rough all this in,
will pay benifits to me in ease of implementation of the very complex sections to come.

It is planned that simple clicks and drags will generate the paths, and the stock will go from transparent to solid for the simulations, then go back to transparent so you can see what doesnt cut
with the tool you have selected. You could then select another tool, and cut from only what hasnt yet been cut or redo the cut entirely.  This should allow you to get as close as possible to the drawing dimensions by using combinations of tools if you wish. Proposed GCode will display after generation for any modifications to be done.( Hpefully). :)

All planning is rough based on the problems I get a grip on , and expected user interaction problems. Again, your critiques are valuable in this, I read them all, so feel free to jump in
as you see it grow. Release in a few minutes..

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
Hi Guys:

OK, so heres the latest development build of LazyTurn with tool creation.  Still doesnt do much of course, but you can load
profiles, see how they load and react to you, create a tool library and see how that works, expect bugs..

The tools creation is near done, some small things like the metric tool type should select your default inch/metric isnt done yet,
but for the most part it is possible to create tools that shoudl mimic your tools fairly well if you use inserts, if not, then you could generate
tools that simply have a tool radius about equal to your ground tool , and with an almost nonexistant toolholder. In the end, Im going to try
allowing a DXF to be imported as the shape of a tool. In actual fact as you create a tool , you ARE really creating a dxf of a tool that will
be used in the collision dynamics to create the toolpaths, so when I get it all locked down, it should be possible to allow a dxf based
tool creator for special tools.

SO tools is basically all this version gets you to play with, next comes some general pthing functions when I return from Egypt in early April,
( I leave for Egypt next week.. and Ill think about the pathing fucntions and how to make them as lazy as possible..).

You need to have a verison of lazycam in the same folder you unzip this release into, so Id suggest your mach3 folder..

Just a note on complexity, it isnt my aim to replace the high end Turning modelers out ther, like Dolphin and OneCNC, they do a great job for those
that use CAM programs, LazyTurn will continue to be dedicated more to the hobbiest who really jsut wants an easier way to generate paths from DXF's,
keep that in mind, so expect simpler things at first, like simple boring, profileing, roughing, finishing, facing and grooving. Hi end analysis and milling isnt likely
to occur, Ill feel pretty good if you can draw a quick profile, and perform a multitool stock->product Gcode list. Theres a reason why true turning programs
are expensive, so keep your expectations reasonable for a hobby/small business package.

Let me know what you think..

Thanks
Art