Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:15:22 AM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359581 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2008, 03:29:15 PM »
Willem:

Its quite normal for a roughing pass to do that. The size of the step in as well as the shape of the tool will dictate how close a profile matches..
Thats why a zero incribed circle gives a perfect profile...but youd never be able to cut it..

Art

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »
Hi, Art

His profile is drawn off in X & Y, (outer space or it might as well be), We have no way to set part diameter like we can set X Zero Start Point.

The point I was trying to make is that with his dxf, As drawn, LazyTurn makes the Radius larger than it should be, Due to the top profile being tied to Y Zero.

After you correct the Y value with reference to his Y leaden to 0 point in his drawing, LazyTurn & LazyCam can get the diameter in Y correct.

Edit: Top pic is from outer space, Bottom pic as profile seems to indicate

Thanks, Chip
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:22:51 PM by Chip »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »
POST 1 OF 3
Art,
Think I answered the question on the code limit but you may want to remark.
The man  file was a challenge but also a learning experience.
The code stopped on the small undercut / bad transition of the nose.
( see my next post )
But it did produce code up to that point. In the horizontal turning ( next post) LazyTurn would not
until the profile was modified some or rough values adjusted.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 07, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
POST 2 OF 3
Art,
REV1_C1-Is there a basic rule that you can't have a backward line towards the lathe tail end in the profile?

REV1A_C1 / C2 - Seems bad curve transitions and roughs close to the profile along with small rough cuts can cause
 LazyTurn to lock up. Need to start thinking / envisioning in terms of clash. I used the diagnostic output a lot on this profile
and was helpful. But not a good indicator that you were going to get gcode.
Is it possible to have LazyTurn give you an error message that it is no longer running? I know if something is taking
too long i can always CRTL/Delete to see whats up....just a though.

REV1A_C3 - Pic of file in Mach

DFX files and gcode of LazyTurn in next post.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »
POST 3 OF 3

DFX files and gcode ( all 9000+ lines, no finishinig cuts added ). ;D

RICH
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:41:38 PM by RICH »

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 07, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
Rich:

Pretty much any profile shoudl work.. but facing is meant to be a different process, so having dips in the Z face is likely to cause trouble..

LazyTurn never really locks up, it just see's things are so complex that it takes near forever. I havent seen it actually stop, so theres no way to intercept it as yet. Ill run some tests this week and see what I can do and what I see using your files...

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 07, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Art,
Maybe wrong verbage. A few files have taken as as long as 20 miinutes ( 3 ghz and 2 gig memory on my PC).
that is not the morn.  Lazyturn was found to be be "Not Responding" for application status by windows task manager
and i had to end the process to get out of it ( so my words for that are "locked up").

If  Windows Task Manager is invoked will it screw up Lazyturn? Maybe that's the question.
If the answer is no then no need for an error message.

As far as a facing I just rotated  the profile out of curiuosity.
RICH

PS: The original profile is in post #393 as that will give all kinds of errors.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:59:52 PM by RICH »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »
Hi, Willem

I re-worked your dxf 0,0 start point and added some radius's to the valleys and corners, I think with a pointed .050 cut-off blade you should be able to cut them.

Hears a picture, 1 dxf & 2 Tap files, Have fun.

Chip
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:09:37 AM by Chip »
« Reply #408 on: December 07, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
Hi,
I too,have been involved with the LC not responding and have to end the task manager,ctrl-alt- delete. I'm looking for why is that some dxf's work and others do not. Could be my cad, or some bug that I am having and you are not. Still tring to get a dxf to load into LCTurn,and produce a tool path; but the tool set up keeps changing ,and there is not that much difference in the size of the parts drawn, sizes are about the same and can use ,I think the same tool cutter,and tip radius. I'm still looking for what I can do to make all the same, and maybe find my faults as something keeps getting changed. LC will only do the outline cutter toolpath,and post code, have'nt gotten that far as to have LCTurn put out something,That I can see, will work for the generation of the toolpaths that should be created. I 've gotten the CAD to work,and finally got the right way to post a DWG.and have it display in LCTurn,but as I said,other problems with the changes in the tool setup, that I can't see. Got to be ME. Why also does LCTurn crap out,and then when I reload the same file, it takes quite awhile to show the part. Uses alot of RAM... shows the part in B&W and says Y is in - and cannot produce, then after clicking OK, shows another error,and then have to ctrl-alt-delete,and close LCTurn. Nuff Said... But It'L Work ...Thanks,   Hank S.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 07, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
Hank,
Post any dxf that dosn't work.

Make note of what Chip has done to your files. Also make note of how he changed the profile relative to 0,0,0
/ you drawn the profile in the -x  + y quadrant / 9 to 12 o'clock quadrant in watch terms.

When you set up a tool in LazyTurn are you then creating it? Then select it as the one to use?

How you save a tool in LazyCam Turn is done a certain / different way and info is in the manual.

If you have a bad / inferior drawn / or problematic dxf, lazyturn will give you errors, and as stated
in another post, if the image dosn't happen then the drawing needs to be revised.
SOME COMMON MISTAKES IN THE DXF:
- Not drawn in the upper left quadrant and only showing one half of the profile
- Profile not  located to the left of 0,0,0
- Lines, curves, circles, or whatever do not connect to each other
- Poor transitions between parts of the profile
- Elements of the profile are not imported because they were shut off before the dxf was made
-  A negative element ( a line....even a little dot .....just a pixel.... is in the negative side of the profile
- Multiple lines ( one drawn over the other )
- Differences on how the dxf is created by diifferent programs and the differences between dxf fiel versions
- Elements which are attached to the profile by mistake and actualy touch it
Just a few drawing items that come to mind.

As far as generating Gcode from that profile, well, that is another story. We have done some stuff in here for testing
, but, practicaly speaking, even if the code was generated you may never be able to machine it without manipulating
the code, breaking it up into the proper or practical machining sequence. So the gcode is another story.

RICH   

MODIFIED TO ADD BELOW:
And just when you think you are the master of the profile, artesan of the mouse, checker of checker, some little pixel fragment
comes along and  humbles you again! and again....and again.......  ;D

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:58:00 PM by RICH »