Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:48:53 AM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359657 times)

Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #370 on: December 04, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
Hello ART,
  Just curious as to your planned order of progression.
?
Face
Inside
Finish Pass
?
Thanks,
RC
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:03:42 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »
Hi, Art

Did a little more testing. If I offset the Horizontal line by 0.0001 in "Y", Then "No OpenGL" Error.

So if you can do the, " Ill add code to remove any c/l object found. That should clear that up".

If you can adjust your "algorithm and see if I can force it to zero.", Or maybe the Rough Per Pass Depth Value. ?

The only Issue I see is the last (Most left Vertical line should be Ignored till the final pass is done), Cutoff. ?

Just info, Thinking out Loud, Chip
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:17:06 PM by Chip »

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
I dunno why, but my last post seems to have disappeared, so Ill redo it here.

LazyTurn is a hobby project so there is no set timeline. My intent is to first get roughing perfect, then finish-rough, and to do that I need
to finish the "stock removed" profile. Thats for stage #2. You guys have made stage#1 pretty good from your testing and youve shown me the weak sections,
most of which now work great, bit more work and we're there I think.

Stage#2 will be finish-rough

Stage #3 is finish.

Stage 4 is facing.

Stage 5, 6, 7.. inside, cuttoff, variosu thing.. all optional if I decide to go that far. By end of stage #4 the program shoudl be better than
most can get for the price ( free) and Ill make decisions from there. I really just want to get to the stage where I can remove turnign from LazyCam altogether
and replace it with LazyTurn. Seems having it dedicated to turning makes it easier to do than mixing it into LazyCam. ( Itd make LazyCam easier to deal with too. ;)

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »
Art,
I wouuld be curious on your internal boring thoughts also.
For example;
Would it be easy ( selectable from external by some simple definition?

Would the profile need to be drawn differently?

What kind of tool.....some standard boring bar with cutters.......or

Would you be able to DRAW your boring bar / tool shape  and let the program check for clashes?

Sure could add another dimension to just cutting an outside profile requiring you to  rework how the
external is done.

Chip just may have brought up a good point before LazyTurn progresses to far.

With a few comments on internal work  we may test a little differently on the external.

RICH

« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
Thanks ART,
Your order is exactly as I was hoping.
I understand the hobbyness of it and totally respect your timeline rules....or lack thereof.
Step 1,2 and 3 will be a Godsend.
Anything further would be icing on the cake and probably would justify another lic. purchase too.
Thanks ART,
RC

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
Hi Guys:

Internal boring woudl be done with a slightly different profile. It would be a profile with a straight outer edge so the program knows by inferance that its internal.
As to shape, by then I hope to have a drawable tool shape (or profile) that will take everything into account automatically. Lazy like.. :)

Its one reason why the profile is going so slow and tight, so thaty inside can woprk if we get there.

One step at a time, your tests seem to show we're pretty much stable for outside shapes, most errors seem gone, Ill fix up what I have
and start thinking about how to get the stock removal process working, then on to finish-rough..

Art

« Reply #376 on: December 05, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
Hi Art & guys
 Well first off Art thank you for your work on Turn, but when i purchased Mach-3 and Lazy cam Lic i was promised turn would be working within 2 months that's been now over 3yrs in waiting and it wasn't free it's why i bought the program in the first place
rg's
Dennis 

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »
Dennis:

>>Well first off Art thank you for your work on Turn, but when i purchased Mach-3 and Lazy cam Lic i was promised turn would be working within 2 months that's been now over 3yrs in waiting and it wasn't free it's why i bought the program in the first place

Id like to see the promise. It may have been suggested that I hoped for 2 months, or that I intended to get there in a couple months, but even my wife will
tell you I generally refuse to "promise" anything. If she asks if Ill pick up something from the store I usually say "I'll try..", Im adverse to promises by personallity.
Those that know me well will tell you I very rarely promise anything, because when I do I'll move heaven and earth to live up to it, hence Im very promise shy.
It may have happened, but Id like to see the wording on it.. I suspect its more of an impression given from some responce done too quickly by me or one of my
minions at the time.  :)

So Im sympathetic to a point, but when LazyCam was released, it was pretty clearly stated by me many times that the demo was
fully functional up to the point of posting code, and that anyone thinking or purchasing it should do so on the basis that what was there was
usefull enough to justify the expense as it is, not as it may become. I also usually pointed peopel to other products, SheetCam, AlphaCam, Solidworks, BobCam etc..
 The Pro license in LazyCam was really a way to pay for the licensed modules that I began to use to do pocketing
and profiling, and I was pretty disappointed in their performance, which is what held up any further usage of them to do things more complex.

As Ive always told people, LazyCam is just a replacement for a very old DXF importer, which over time became very outdated,
I was always carefull to say any plans were not in stone and that if current level wasnt working properly for someone they shouldnt
get a license. However, that having been said, I do feel some responsibility to the Turners who wanted more capability than was there. Hence
LazyTurn will be free to those people that licensed Pro level in expectation of better performance. LazyCam, LazyTurn..any CAM product in the form
I do them will never pay for themselves, they were and are programs that strive to help out those who cannot ( or will not) pay hundreds if not
thousands of dollars on programs that are highly functional, but perhaps way too functional for the person needing a certain capabillity, and thus cannot
be justified on that basis. The 75.00 that LCam costs ( and then only for the pro level), is a pretty reasonable price for the capabilities it offers, and
I have gotten tons of email telling me that, as well as many who are disappointed in how it works for them. ( On the other hand, I have dozens of letters
on almost every CAM program out there telling me of disappointment in operation.. its kinda the nature of CAM, much harder to do than one thinks, even in
a perfect program ( if there was such a thing..).

I do understand though , that many are not ( or were not at the time ) involved enough in the community aspect of MAch3 to read what I said on
the various forums and such, and simply purchased on expectation, so hopefully LTurn will go some ways to making them feel better in that respect. It is
for those reasons that I began LazyTurn, and why I intend to simply give it to those that licensed LazyCam. Seems a good thing to do in retirement anyway. :)

So just so theres no misunderstandings on this project, Ill state it clearly," I promise nothing, I will endeavor to work on it as often as possible, and with the help of
those here testing I will make it as lazy and bulletproof as possible, but it will come as it comes, and develop as it does and as time and circumstance permits. With luck
and perserverance, as well as interest from users ( or potentiual users) the end result will be a usefull program that is hard to find a replacement for at a reasonable cost."
( You can quote me on that.. :) ).

Dont take this as a rebuke, I just wanted to have this in posted form so anyone can openly see what the plan is, whats going on, and what the end result should be
if all comes together. I have some feeling of responsibility to bring up the level of Turning as well as some changes to LCam when Im done turning, but I dont feel too
pressured by those that got LCam thinking it was promised to be ready in any time frame, Ive always tried very hard to make sure people realise that CAM functions are
very difficult, and what people think of the end result is quite often very variable between people. Its the nature of CAM itself to be that way. A controler works
or doesnt typically, it flow is pretty linear, but CAM has the problem of trying to match the way a person thinks about a job.. its very hard to match expectation in that world.
Hopefully, in the end, I can match what yours are.

Art

« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
Hi Art

I get the impression you feel attacked by Dennis.
I think it is not the meaning of Dennis to do so.
If i may i will give you my thought over Lazyturn.

There are (not so) many programs for turning.
They have one thing in commen , they are first very expensive and second they are very complicated.

What Lazyturn is promising (not written but just what i feel) is that it will be A program so simple that hobbyist like me can use it and understand it without having a university educated
background.

I think much people like me are screaming for a program like this and in that view it can't be fast enough to be ready.
I can not offer you enough items to help by develop the program but thank god there are people (like Chip and Rich and more ) who can.

What i see until now is very promising (if you say it or not "PROMISING") and also i can't wait until it is ready.

If you like it or not, you have got yourselves a weight on your shoulder that you have to finish this and you will, i am sure.

Greeting:
Willem

P.S.

Mach3 and Lazycam are one of the few programs i payed for , not that is strict necessarily (working illegal copy of a the lic files) but just be course i feel that a program like this is worth paying for (and paying for a Dutchman is like curse in a church).

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »
Willem:

>> get the impression you feel attacked by Dennis.
>>If you like it or not, you have got yourselves a weight on your shoulder that you have to finish this and you will, i am sure.
>> I think it is not the meaning of Dennis to do so.

LOL.. yes I know what you mean.

Really I didnt take it as an attack, its just I like to make sure everyone knows what the development situation is so that no misunderstandings occur in future. Thats all. I know from the tons of email that peopel are screaming for such a program, and its that desire thats drving me forward. Glad you chimed in, I know allot of people are watching this topic, not necessarily saying anything, and I know many are impatient for something they can use, so Ill make it as fast as I can. :)

Thanks,
Art