Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:53:39 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359548 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1220 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
I don't understand what "Final Pass," "Per Pass," and "Tolerance" are for.  They don't seem to be functional.
 Only "Clearance" makes any difference in the red line's position.

Here is an anology:
Lets cut the grass on your front lawn. There is nothing in the way from the side walk until
you get near the house which has bushes and flowers planted all along the front of the house
in an irregulary shaped edged landscape.
Two grass cutters of different width's will be used.
The wide lawn mower is used first starting at the sidewalk. So you are going to make ROUGH passes
until you get close to the front landscaping. Each time you  make a cut across the lawn you have made
 a PASS at cutting the grass. All of the wide cuts can be called a rough pass.

The next door neighbor dosn't want you cutting his lawn. He watches you cut the grass and is
 making notes on each and every step you make and in his note book he is writing down all the PATHING
you have taken. To not cut his grass, you leave a small amount  CLEARANCE which will be cut using the
 smaller grass mower.

Now it is  time to  remove the grass close to the edged part in front of the house. This FINE pass will require using
 the smaller mower. So you make a number of pases. The first time you try to cut the irregular shape
you leave a CLEARANCE mowing away in a somewhat varied way but never cutting into the the reamining grass.

All that remains to FINISH cutting the grass is to edge along the landscape. You  will edge such that there
 is no grass, so "0" clearance. The edger can only cut so much and you want a nice clean cut so the FINAL
PASS will be very small. It will take a number of cuts so each cut is limited PER PASS.
Your very carefull when edging the lawn. You watch the edger cutting along the ladnscape and also keep
looking ahead of it so you can adjust how the edging is happening. If you only look ahead once in a while
the edging will go quite quickly, but if you are constantly looking at the actual edge cutting and just in front of it
it will take you longer to edge the landscape. That looking at and ahead of the cutting is called TOLERANCE
for the finish pass.

-------------------
Currently LT dosen't show the pathing for each finish pass and all you see is a red line / the edging.
From a testing point fo view, all we are interested in is if the final finish pass will follow the contour of the profile.
within some set clearance.

So in the manual, on page 20, are the preliminary definitions for each item associated with the finish pass.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 08, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
TURN ON THE FINISH PASS

We would all like to have the finsh pass done and turned on.....
But if it has known problems that have not been resolved........... then why do it!
Then all the effort will be to answer questions on why something is not working instead of testing and
and eliminating the problems in the first place.

BTW, if you want code for just the profile you can get it using LazyCam. 

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
on the manual

I strongly recomend that any new user of LT spend an hour and read through it.
Simply put, the manual will give you a definition of each and every tab, input, flyout, etc.
You can't absorb it all in one sitting. But at least you have a flavor of what's in it and where info can be found.
Then you just click on each and every button and see what happens. Pay attention to the figures. Topics requiring addtional info are delineated in the appendix. I will update it as things progress, particularily the definitons, its pretty
good up to about page 40. A whole lot better than looking through 123 pages of replies. 

If you post a question, and it is covered in the manual, you will see responses from me to see section or figure ......
sorry,  but that saves me a whole bunch of time. I do question myself if the manual is clear as it relates to the question.

RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »
Hi Guys:

Sorry, but I was waylaid for a couple weeks on important engine code experiments. Sadly, they failed in most part, but did end in some tighter
control in the driver. Anyway, back to LTurn. I did find a couepl of roughing errors this week and fixed them, and now Im back on the finish pass.

The finish security profile, ( the red line) does appear to work well except in the case of undercuts wich cause a cutthrough. But since this may take
awhile to figure out as an algorithmic solution, I will now begin to finalize the way the fiinish pass will be output. This means not just a red line, but
actually several of them working outword until no more materuial is cut. This is to make sure the tool is not stressed beyond the PerPass specification ( unused at present ).

Ill release when I have a test version, though it probably still wont post until Im satisfied the final passes look good and woudl make sense in a cutting context.

At that point Ill release a version that posts the finish pass code, shouldnt be too long after the consolidation, which may happen this week.
As to undercuts, we'll head bang together after that to solve the last thing needing solving before we can possibly call this a released program.

Just so you know.. :)

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 08, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi Guys:

This version fixes some roughing issues, and displays the fine path not as a red line, but as a red/blck checkered line. The checkers show the actual line divisions, the red line I used to show you
was made up of thousands of small lines, ( tolerance in length), this version is now culling that line to create straight line segments in preperation for moving the path outwards by ( PerPass) amount to create the actual toolpath from that original multi point red line.

Im working on the next steps. They include making an offset contour of the checkered line by the perpass distance, checking to see if that lien cuts any material, and repeating if it does. The path will stop contouring outwards when it senses no cut woudl occur, then the entire sequence of lines will be reversed in order and compromise a finihs toolpath. At that piont Ill post it out. I may give you the
option of just posting the checkered profile shortly as a first step in the development sequence.

Just to keep you filled in.
Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
By the way, srroy for all the Tpyos ltaely , I dnot tpyillcy raed waht I wtire .

Tohguh, tehy say taht as lnog as the frist and lsat ltetrs are prpoer you shuoldnt ntoice
if your IQ is hgih enuogh to run the sfotwear aynawy
:)

Art
« Reply #1226 on: February 08, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
TURN ON THE FINISH PASS

We would all like to have the finsh pass done and turned on.....
But if it has known problems that have not been resolved........... then why do it!
Then all the effort will be to answer questions on why something is not working instead of testing and
and eliminating the problems in the first place.

BTW, if you want code for just the profile you can get it using LazyCam.  

RICH

Why do it?

I guess if it works for the basic stuff just put it out as completely unsupported option leaving it up to the user to check and verify.

For many users this may be enough. I understand that the under cuts are a problem so I won't use under cuts.

I hate writing code by hand but if I just have to check and maybe edit a little bit then that is better.

All of this talk of having a usable lathe cam program has reignited the fire to get the lathe done.
I now have the spindle under CNC control and will have to draw up the servo motor mounts.

Back at it.

Mike

Typo shmypo, as long as Lazyturn works, who cares about the typos??

We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 09, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
Glad your back at LT Art. Another 1 -2  feet of snow tomorrow so i should get a chance to play with it some more.
I'll post whatever i find.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 10, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
A few points made with the attached, FWIW.
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »
Rich:

Thx, I see when you use .0001 the fine screws up, this is beacuse the line culler to shorten the number of entities
is checking to see if , given three sequential points, the second point is within .0001 of a line between the first and third,
if so, its rejected as superflous. I think I need to change that to be smaller than .0001 so that in tight tolerance it doesnt end up rejecting everything.

The rest maes sense, Ill see what I can do to optimise as soon as the posting of the finsih is done. I decided to get it to the stage of
posting the finish passes, and we'll then just deal with tightening it all up so it works as well as it can. THEN, Ill finally deal with the mind-numbing issue of
making an algorithm to correct for undercuts. At that point, Ill release the program as Release 1.0 and let the public have at it. :-)

Ill at least get the posting of the finsh passes done as I promised for this winter.. undercuts may or may not get done this season by the look of the
time flow..

Thx for the tests and excellent doc's of the results..

Art