Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:40:36 AM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359636 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1310 on: February 24, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
Rich:

Yes, its my intent to make a lines->arc algorithm to replace the flats. (which are the size of "tolerance" ) as set in the fine path dialog.
Dunno how hard that will be, but we'll see. ;)

Art

Nice looking cut. At least it shows having a finish really makes a difference.. :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 25, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »
ART,
Just some ideas on posting options, as usual, don't know if easy or difficult but here's some thoughts along with reasoning.

1. Be able to pick a pathing stop point along the Z axis ( mentioned before ). This allows you to break up a profile for machining at a low
level. It would be nice if it also had a starting point, but, keeping it simple for now.

2. Scale option. Use of program diameter ruler is rather restrictive. Once the code or pathing is done, have an option for scaling one or both
axes. This would be the equivilant of using the scale function currently available in Mach.  

Let me ramble on some.........
Let's assume that a user dosn't have any CAD ( you mention about later on creating a drawing utility ). So as an interim,I am thinking that a supplied cad drawing done to a scale of  1 unit, with a few basic shapes on it, would allow code generation equivilant to the what the current wizards would provide. Then the user could actualy build a rather simplistic machining operation up prior to and outside of LT via cut and pasting of code. This provides a lot of functionality ( non- automatic i may add ) but provides for some of the more complex operations which higher level CAM programs have built in.

Thinking for easy / lazy ways to do some things but not burden down your efforts in developing the program. So in interim it provides for manipulation by the user and responsibilty falls on them.

Just a few thoughts....

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 25, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
Just two pic's about the flats. Remember that, depending on your lathe system, your results may vary in the end. ;)
The pics provide for actual cutting / finished piece realtive to what your seeing in the program when you zoom into the pathing.
And watch out for those feed rates you input...........now your cutting ! :D
RICH
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:33:01 AM by RICH »
« Reply #1313 on: February 25, 2010, 10:34:03 AM »
Rich,
  What is the actual radius of the piece you cut ? (didn't see it mentioned)
Looks good, nice illustration.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 25, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
Russ,
It was 1/4" radius and all the info is in the reply #1308 in  the apendix file posted.
Need to go back and re-afirm a few things in that writeup. Also there was continuation
of the pathing down the piece.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »
Here is what i am thinking can be done with the posting options mentioned above and rather simply.
BTW, i have additional wizards in my screen created by someone.....
RICH
« Reply #1316 on: February 25, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »
Hi Rich
Thanks for the reply i have alway's installed it in the Mach folder but now when i open the folder the icon is not there i did a search but it just showed a folder and the icon was not inside don't know what happened the desk top short works and opens LT ?

Dennis 
« Reply #1317 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
Found it just to many folders thanks happy chip making.

Dennis
« Reply #1318 on: February 25, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »
Russ,
It was 1/4" radius and all the info is in the reply #1308 in  the apendix file posted.
Need to go back and re-afirm a few things in that writeup. Also there was continuation
of the pathing down the piece.
RICH

Ah yes, see it now, was just skimming through posts, saving the tut for later.
Thanks,
Russ
« Reply #1319 on: February 27, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
Okay I'm stumped.  I've created a turning project in Lazy Turn and it looks okay, at least to me. However when I open the G code file in Turn there's a whole bunch of material between the rough and finish passes that's left uncut?

I've attached a couple screenshots to show this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kerry