Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:03:40 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1359507 times)

Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »
Thanks Chip,
I think you are right. I see it now in ART's 2nd post. Nothing like what we used in LCam.
I loaded a DXF that was roughly 6 by 12 and it loaded WAY WAY out of proportion.Like 6 by 150.
When I adjusted the Dia. scale to 12, the hover numbers were way out of their boxes.
Weird.
Thanks, RC
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:41:32 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »
Mornin' (wel it is here!)

I like it...but, there's always a but;),

after you've changed the stock size etc the mouse dissapears and I have to wiggle it about to find it again

Nice triangles ;) but when the stock is nearly the same size as job it's ahrd to select one of them.. how about putting the stock arrow on the other side of the ruler?

and.. when I bring in a dxf it doesn't drop in as the size I drew it - is it me or the s/w?  seems to me that if I bothered to draw a shape I would have drawn it the right size and would want/expect it to be the same size in LT

perhaps a box popping up on loading asking whether it's imperial or metric and where do you want the origin - chuck end or free end

If I try to change the diameter of the job it says enter max dia bigger than what I drew it as, therefore I can never make what I drew, well ok adding 0.001 won't make much difference :)

and numbers not in the boxes as above

btw whats that scale bar sort of thing up on the right hand side?

I await the next version...at this rate you'll have it done by the w/e ;D

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 04:45:31 AM »
Hi Art,

Have a problem opening a DXF, I get the message: No appropriate drawing profile was found. It is attached, please check it.

In the mean while, I have two suggestions:

1. Displaying the tool and its form would be helpful - allowing the tool to move along the profile will let you see the clearances and choosing the right tool. I think there should be some standard tool shapes and an option of creating your own. Of course, to make this you need to add a tool table.

2. I'd like the stock to be always displayed (or rather be turned on and off) in a shaded color and as you define the procedures it updates to the correct shape.

Thanks,
Daniel
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 05:32:17 AM »
There doesn't appear to be anything in the dxf...
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:04 AM »
Art,

Nice to see some dedicated activity for us turners, or in my case a complete novice so this development should really help the likes of me.

A couple of comments however -

1. Would it be possible to specify and show a clamp as representative of the chuck jaws so clash detection with the tool could be determined and
2. Would it be possible to show tool shape so again clash detection with the work piece could be determined.

Keep up the terrific work - did I miss something or haven't you just "retired"? ;D

Jim
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 07:00:50 AM »
Hi Guys I have had a look at lazycam many times and gave up on the turning until it had developed further. Now we are in Lazy Turn in order to comment in future posts I need to know how the drawing format in DXF works If I import a drawing just now to lazyturn it says "No Appropriate Turning Profile was found" Maybe I am a bit premature in my expectations in trying this but I have always had bother understanding in lazycam how to draw a turn profile It is obviously something simple I am missing as I have not seen any other comments on doing it.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »
here's a sample dxf for you to open it a dxf viewer, it's just a top half profile and that works for me, as long as it's one continous string of lines & curves it works

hmm a chuck representation would be good, though I guess that will come at revision149 :)
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 07:45:15 AM »
Looks like the "Select New Max Diameter" must be at least the diameter of the smallest dia. of the finished profile.
The cursor comes right back if you take it to the top or bottom of the screen. Mine only disappear when using "Enter/Return" key instead of clicking the "OK" box to enter the new value.
ANY continuous line representing the profile works good here. Then just enter the Max Diameter and WHALA.
This is LOOKING GOOD !
Thanks ART,
RC

Anxious to see how the "Drawing" feature is going to workout. That will be EXTREEEEMLY handy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:48:31 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 07:49:09 AM »
I did not know what to expect when i opened that Dwg. ;D
So if you have a knob I have a Cannon  :) Here is the Dwg. I have trouble with and as far as I can see it has the correct perameters.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
Hi Guys:

Thx for the comments. As I said earlier, I want the display as perfect as I can get it so Ill work on these troubles.
The DXF Cannon.dxf has an elipitical arc in it, I dont yet import those , but Ill look into it.

the contrast boxes for the hovers Ill fix up today.

Clarification:

A drawing has to be a connected series of entities. One series only, not a closed chain. Think of it as a drawing showing the profile.
The drawing should be in Radius , thought he program will display it in radisu or diamter. ( I have it set to diameter at the moment. A selection will come soon).
In other words , if you draw a profile, and the max Y is 10, then thats a diamter of 20 in the displayed object. So the drawing shoudl be drawn in units representing the proper Z coords, ( though they
are easily changed) and the Y of the drawing should be in proper radisu distances. Im using updated import code, and it rejects points automatically. ( ACad often adds points at knot locations..).

I see a couple of "Wrong size" notes , if you have one the wrong size, please send it to me for testing, the imported size of the object should be exactly as specified in the drawing. The importer
reports to me each entities size in absolute terms so they shouldnt vary ..

When you change a profiles diamter, the limitation you are shown is the minimum Y of the import drawing, you cant shrink a profile smaller than that, else the lowest Y will cross
the zero line. When drawing an nobject in future you wont be able to cross the zero line either. ( In theory hitting zero will cut off an object so zero is a logical minimum.

Cursor problem is noted and will be fixed today as well.

Showing a chuck is somethign I tried early on, but fel it didnt add much to the system in reality, Im more in favour of exclusion zones to ensure a tool doesnt cross
into the spindles chuck. But Ill see whats possibel when we get there. Ill fix up the little niggleys first, and when we're all fairly happy with the display, we'll move forward.
There will be a tool table, as well as a graphical tool on the screen showing locations. What I envision is the toolpath eating the stock, and leaving a subprofile behind of uncut material
which can then be cut with another tool if necessary. But thats getting ahead of ourselves. Displayand setup first, then tools and paths.. :)

Art