Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:31:51 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1362351 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1060 on: May 25, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »
Rich:

My thought is that a finish pass can always deal with the bumps though an assumption about the finish pass depth. Lets say the previous pass, the one just completed that now triggers the finsh pass, was done with a depth per pass of 2mm's. We know then that any bumps left affect that tool by no more than 2mm's. Thats all that can be left for that tool on the profile where the tool can actually fit. So if a person specifies a
final pass depth of 2mm, I can follow a profile of where the tool will fit along the acutal profile of the object , knowing that no more than 2mm can be seen. However, if a user specifies a finish depth of 1mm, for example, then two finish profiles woudl be generated, one 1mm out from the profile, the next at profile depth.
   All I really know is that when a finish is called for , its for the same tool that did the previous cut, and the pass of the previous cut. Selecting any tool invalidates the call for a finish pass, so the previous pass was always the finish pass's tools last rough pass.So it may indeed take several tools to complete a finish, but that shoudl be automatic by virtue of the finish will only be performed where that tool can fit.

That will be my thrust anyway.. at first.. :)

So the user sequence to follow will be

1) Selecting a tool
2) Rough pass
3) Fine Rough
4) Finish,

Rince and repeat with other tools for other areas to be "finished"

Im sure it will get more complicated than that, but thats what Im aiming for. :)

Art
« Reply #1061 on: May 25, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
No worries, Rich.  

I had meant to type, "What does one do when one hits a wall?  Take a detour."

There don't appear to be the necessary adjustment "knobs" for CDX4 to generate the desired dxf files.   Since LazyTurn will also import Corel Media Exchange (CMX) and HPGL2 (PLT) files among others, that solved my trouble.  Importing the CMX equivalent into LazyTurn produced what appears to be very good output and usable G-code.

I use CD as a vector generating app for other devices - laser and vinyl plotter - so am quite familiar with it.  I also could try Illustrator or install a copy of AutoCAD 2002 if it comes down to it.  For now though, I'm happy with what's working.

A question on the G-code generation - actually setting coordinates.  The Mach3Turn wizards allow setting the part X & Z zero points to the "front, rightmost" point on the stock to be machined resulting in moves that are in the negative direction for both axes.  LazyTurn, it seems, allows Z axis setting zero to the rightmost spot but X remains at the center of the piece.  Is it possible to shift the X origin (zero position) to the outer diameter of the starting stock so that setup operations whether using wizard or LazyTurn G-code are similar?

Best,   Joe

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 25, 2009, 10:51:57 PM »
Joe,
Thanks for posting your solution as i will put that into the manual somewhere.
----------------
"Is it possible to shift the X origin (zero position) to the outer diameter of the starting stock so that setup operations whether using wizard or LazyTurn G-code are similar? "

Most all programs have X=0 as the origin for their code because it can be a repeatable place to easily find / reference to, along with a number of other reasons. There are a lot of ways of accomplishing what you ask. Depends on how "you" want to work and your understanding of Mach3 Turn.

For now here is MY suggestion for when in MACH3Turn:

Zero world  X and Z which ( cancels any G54 so there are no offsets ) and set home somewhere away from the piece, move the tool "controlled point" to where the gcode for the part was created, click part zero X & Z, ( now machine=program=part cords at the same point ) move the tool to where you want to start cutting, cycle start the program and all should work just fine. That's a mouth full, but, just one way of working that will keep you out of trouble. I hope!  ;)

Depends on the gcode generated by each Wizard. I am not sure they are all a like on where the first move starts from. That said, don't let you heart be troubled, for there will be a section in the LazyTurn manual which will include information about Mach3 Turn.

prep moves from or to a point, including how to use use / create a tooltable, what impact use of using the tool tip radius vrs using the offsets which may have been created already. Program / machine / part coordinates relationships, how setting home can be used, an overview of Mach3Turn, etc etc etc.......whatever the verbage turns out / or needs to be. That will be put into the manual after the finish paths are available and whatever Art decides to do from a post processing point of view.
Simply put, I hope to cover Mach3Turn at some level in an appendix, the verbage will not conflict with the Using MAch3 Turn manual. The current four screens, are as they were created before my time, can be confusing if you don't have a good grasp of the whole program. I will see if i can capture the the compete program visually in about four pages or so.  ???

RICH 
« Reply #1063 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »
Hey Rich,

"... don't let you heart be troubled, for there will be a section in the LazyTurn manual ..."

That had me rolling!   ;D

Have a great week!   Joe

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:11 AM »
Hi, Art

Every thing is looking pretty good, As long as you start ruff's with a Left Hand Cutter, I still think All rough cut's should be treated the same on the Right End of the Profile.

As for Final Passes at least a couple and the last to be a Spring "type" pass, Tool changes transiting to final pass will sort themselves out by rearing it's Ugly Head after a final pass is implemented, I'd Think.

Thanks, Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: May 26, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »
Art,
If you select one of the "Diagnostics" a toolpath is created and you can also post code.
You couldn't post code before if diagnostics was chosen, well at least for Scan line diagnostics,
since it would not include gouging / tool geometry etc when done. Visual Intersect Diags
is the default if diagnostics is not chosen.

Can you clarify?
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 28, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
Rich:

I wouldnt worry too much about it, the diagnostics will probably not be in the final version. But Ill check why it posts.. It shouldnt..

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »
Hi Guys:

New version.

This version optimises the secondary toolpaths. I tno longer pulls all the way out between groups of cuts.
Should be much faster and more efficicent to actually clean out the profile.

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 28, 2009, 12:43:11 PM »
Hmm,
Diagnostics in or out, it's your nickle, you didn't take a peek at the updated manual. ;)
Anyway, it's a dynamic manual like the program.  :)
On to your next version.  ;D

RICH
« Reply #1069 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »
Chip
Here's the file for turn 4-40 thread barb fitting thanks for looking
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:58:16 PM by Chip »