Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:39 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1362306 times)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #1050 on: May 24, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »
Hi, Joe

Hears 2 dxf's, LazyTurn doesn't seem to like the profile, Maybe Art will look at them.

Chip

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 24, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
Hi:

Has to do with it having a polyspline as an entity, and th eobject being so small.
Fixed for next release, it now loads on mine.

Thx
Art
« Reply #1052 on: May 25, 2009, 12:57:58 AM »
Thank you Chip!  Thank you Art! 

Is there a "better" way to achieve the minor curvature?  There are a few profiles I'm working on.  Some more bulbous than others but since these are for pens, they'll never be significantly larger.

All the best,   Joe
« Reply #1053 on: May 25, 2009, 01:56:27 AM »
Maybe drawing a polyline instead of a splin will help?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 25, 2009, 02:01:36 AM »
Hi, Joe

Maybe it won't be an issue after the next Revision, Art's still debugging LazyTurn's file loading routine's some.

It's getting better and better All the Time.

Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 25, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
JOE,
Your files are coming in as 3d files in Microstation, won't open in earlier versions of AutoCAD but will open in
later versions.
1. Save your drawings as a 2d, version 12 DXF
2. You only draw the top half of the profile. See Appendix "B", figure 3.5.1 of the manual. Also look at the
    other comments in that appendix.
3.As far as DXF's are concerned, read Appendix "C"

I know nothing about Corel Draw. All programs are not created equal when it comes to what they create and export.
That's what appendix "c" tells you and then tries to address the issue. To make your drawings work i would have
converted them from 3d to 2d, then modified them to agree with appendix "B" , then exported them as
a version 12 DXF. Since i don't have or use your program i can't give specifics to Corel Draw on what exactly you need to do.

As far as using the manual, Appendix B & C are solid and still are standing the test of time.
The manual is being updated, and maybe, depending on how things go today, there will be an update shortly.

RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
Hi Guys:

New Version.

This version fixes the previously mentioned spline error, and also will post for all toolpaths generated.
I have some work to do on optimising the secondary toolpaths, and then its on to the Finish path
generation. Thats still a confusing one as to exactly how to do that efficiently,..but we'll see what I
can think up..

Have fun,
Art
« Reply #1057 on: May 25, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
Good morning Guys!

Thank you both for the guidance and response!  I've been working with CDX4 dxf generation options.  The options don't include version 12 - {2.5, 2.6, 9, 10, 11, 13,2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007} - and all want to try some 2D projection of a 3D object (even though the drawing is a simple 2D line drawing - go figure).

So, what does when do when one hits a wall?  Take a detour.  Rich, thanks for mentioning 2D explicitly.  I exported using HPGL2 PLT format and LazyTurn ate it up just fine, producing a valid Cut.  Then I noticed the direct CMX file import option and tried that.  Even better!

All the best,   Joe

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 25, 2009, 01:33:37 PM »
Art,
Still trying to "break the last version", getting harder to do that, but will move on to your latest posted version.

Getting a lot of no more roughs required, and will be curious on how the finish paths takes care of the "bumps left" from the roughs. The bumps left, can be quite large, yes, you can change roughs to get them down, so tool selection along with the cut parameters become more important. The bitchy part is conveying it, at just the right level ,to someone totally new to a turn program.

I am trying to update the manual, so the posting will give me some more to include in it.
I assume posting is still rather basic without options.
Will just let the manual  lag behind enough so i am not wasting my time trying to address something  that may not even exist in the future.
---------------------------------
Finish pass "That's still a confusing one as to exactly how to do that efficiently,..but we'll see what I
can think up.."
FWIW
You can think in terms of just a single pass which follows the profile, taking the bumps away, and the actual cutting
be what it will be, based on the tool used. Maybe another profile finish again at high speed. That may be fine for a
small or simple profile. So this implies just following the profile a few times.
BUT
With a larger more complicated profile, a single tool may not be appropriate. The same tool selections used along
with the same approach can be used just allowing it to do the finishing paths. Following the profile may not be practical.

So practically speaking,
-  single / custom tool which does the finish path
-  multiple tools required to avoid gouging but with a different tool radius
Maybe to implement, this is where selection of what part of the profile along the Z, can be picked to avoid
cutting a lot of air. ( could have a modified DXF version of the drawing to do this but no longer easy / PITA).
I guess the above sounds simple but from your end just don't know what how hard that is to implement.
Have fun

Thanks for the updated version,
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 25, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »
Joe,
You can use DXF versions greater than 12, since what started to happen, is it that as the software became more advanced, it had to include more info into the DXF to represent the drawing. So the simpler the info the less chance
of DXF stuff complicating the import process. I have used later versions of DXF. But then maybe i read your post wrong and you don't have any version options???

So, what does when do when one hits a wall?

Maybe you do need to take a detour. It surely may be easier. You create it and get it into an importable file.
Don't take my comment as blowing you off. Now excuse my candor, paint programs or the hundreds of programs have advanced to do everything and anything but can't do some fundamental stuff very well, and face it, because they can't meet the basic industry requirements or at times even deliberately do stuff to be a PITA. I don't know, as I  have become narrow minded and untolerant of the DXF issue.

Maybe you can try out a few very inexpensive CAD programs and see if they will do that needed step for you.

Maybe there is something in your manual which allows you to configure the DXF output?

RICH