Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:03:13 PM

Author Topic: LazyTurn  (Read 1362330 times)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: LazyTurn
« Reply #960 on: April 03, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »
More info., See my previous post, page 96, Reply 959

Pic 1, Ruler value, Stock Clearance  error (pic 2 reply 959

Pic 2, RH stock removal missing for 2'nd pass. ?

Maybe even the Last final/rough should have the RH end cut. ?

You get 1000 word's for pic's  ???

Chip
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:45:44 PM by Chip »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
Art,
Using a groove tool to do three progressive paths.
     PICTURE                                                        COMMENT
1. 60_COMMENT_HCIR_1........ ROUGH - Inconsitant clear around profile. Red is what should have been included?
2. 60_COMMENT_HCIR_2 ....... FINISH / ROUGH - Extends Z travel?. Stll missing in between? No clear left on a number of places?
3. 60_COMMENT_HCIR_3 ....... FINISH / ROUGH - Tool width was cut in half. Still missing in between? And missing removal of some material?

Now i will try a different tool.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
Art,
Using a BUTTON tool to do two progressive paths.
1. 61_COMMENT_HCIR_1........ ROUGH - extends Z travel. Clearance looks ok except for round the hubs
2. 61_COMMENT_HCIR_2 ....... FINISH / ROUGH - Cutting to the centerline? notice the path generated but no volume removed
    even though total volume changed

Looks like the button is doing a better job than the groove. Similar and different problems.
Ok try another one.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »
Art,
Using a TRIANGLE and then a BUTTON tool to do two progressive paths.
1. 62_COMMENT_HCIR_1........ ROUGH -looks fine, no gouging
2. 62_COMMENT_HCIR_2 ....... FINISH / ROUGH -  path into center line generated and a small piece missed even though
   it would have been picked up with the finish pass.
3. Just a magnified view of 1 &2

Ok try another one.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 03, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
Art,
Just something a little different here to test the point tools stuff on a small piece.
The dxf file posted in reply #946 was shrunk to 1/10 it's size so diameter is only 0.1".
You know i had to do one of these!  ;)
1. 63_COMMENT_HCIR_1........ ROUGH -looks fine
2. 63_COMMENT_HCIR_2 ....... FINISH / ROUGH -  Other than the silly 0.001 extra removed
    is fine and left the tool on for size comparison.
3. Just some info on the tool bit.

RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 03, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
Hi Guys:

I have some testing to do for some of this, but the LH side I can explain. Imagine the whole piece, left to right is first expanded by the clearance, so it grows , this is done to make to tool cut
only to the clearance + Tool radius to the part. But the LH side expands to the left when this is done as well as the rigth expanding to the right. So the initial rough pass tries to cut to the expanded left side, which makes it cut further. This is actually helpfull if th etool has to step to the right each pass ( on the left hand side..). It means if a profile is say 100mm long, the initial ough can be say 120mm after expanding the profile. ( Imagine a tool offset comp in mill applied to the profile.. ).

Its hard to explain what I mean, Ill see abotu showing you the actual usage of the subtraction and clipping masks to make it clearer..

Is that dxf from Chips example posted? I think I need to run that, the offset is definitely wrong, looks way short..

Art

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 03, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
Hi, Art

The one on bottom of page 96 "Test 1 A.dxf" is it for last few prev post's.

Well I think I've figured it out, Maybe, Whooo Noowssss.

With the cutoff Type tool, First Rough Pass seems fine,

2'nd Rough Pass is missing the Stock Clearance value's being added to the tool width, I'm thinking

If I double the Tool Width for 2'nd rough, Then there's material remaining for a 3'd finer pass.

Really think the Rough's should be all like the first one and LH undercut's that show up shouldn't be there for 2'nd & 3'rd rough.

The stock size is large to allow for exaggerated cut's for clarity Only. New dxf below.

Thanks, Chip

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:13:33 AM by Chip »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 04, 2009, 07:22:52 AM »
ART,
Dont't think you have to add any more graphics for path add lenghts on either side.
The display shows it and simulation will confirm all paths. At most the scale bar could expand
with no divisions indicating unrequested length has been added in the cutting as compared
to the DXF of the profile or just a note in the project information.

The real concern is the cutting down to X=0 / "cutting off the piece" which seems to
be generated on the second rough finish. Also the tool NOT cutting away material
in the undercuts when you would expect it to.

RICH
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:24:31 AM by RICH »

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 04, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »
Chip:

Thx, I think your right, Ill look into why. I hadnt noticed because I dont offset that way myself. In the end ,
while I think the depth per pass shoudl be less on each path, the clearance shoudl stay the same really, that saves the most time.
It doesnt make sense to me to have a 1" offset for roughing, then a  .5 for next rough..etc.. I woudl think the most efficient is to
have the clearance the same for all passes up to the finish. That will statistically cut the time of cutting to its minimum. Though your
method does make better and easier to read displays. :)

Rich: thx..noted.

Art

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 04, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »
Hi Art,

Just wanted to show you a bit of actual cutting this morning. It was of a part I showed previously in this thread and it worked out great. As you can see I made the passes pretty small so that it was just take some "cleaning up" to finish. I'll show the finished part another time when I get it done but couldn't wait to post a couple of pics for you.

The toolpath seemed to follow perfectly but I did have some chatter where the side of my toolbit rubbed the shoulder of the material which I knew it would because of my drawing.

For reference, the part is just under 1/2" X 1.312 long and completed on a converted Taig Micro-Lathe.

Again, thank you for helping me (and everyone) get this far along.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)