Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:25:15 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 Printer Port Discussions  (Read 1243624 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach4 Printer Port Discussions
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »
Question.  I read recently that homing does not move off the home switch like My M3 does.  Will this option be coming in the future or is there a work around?

I believe there are some posts here that cover that. I think you just edit the homing scripts to make them do whatever you want.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
Hi:

>>When clearing the E stop, it is necessary to clear, set, then clear again before motion will be available. 

Hmm. First report of this, doesnt happen on my system. I can move immediately after enable is pressed.

>> This is true in both Darwin and M4.

You mean in the config? Ill try to reproduce. But I cant image as yet why..

>>Pin mapping in the port setup appears to have some errors.  On my system, port 2 input pins 5, 6, and 7 are also tied to pins 15, 13, and 12 respectively. 

Ouch..Thx. Ill check that out, I havent used a port 2 as yet, I have only one. I may have screwed up a mask. Preciate the report.

>>In addition, my input pin 11 does not toggle with the actual input (probe). 

This is also on Port2?

Thx
ARt

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »
forgot to answer on homing.

Yes, the design spec called for the user to either use modified homing scripts or buttons to ellicit
behaviour other than "stop on switch".

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
>>Pin mapping in the port setup appears to have some errors.  On my system, port 2 input pins 5, 6, and 7 are also tied to pins 15, 13, and 12 respectively. 

I cant seem to repeat that one. I dont have two ports, so I turned on a second port and pointed it to my only printer port.
Both ports show up with identical inputs, pins 5,6 & 7 are showing different than 15,13, and 12..

Can you change port 2 to the port 1 address and see if those pins still mimic each other?

Thx
Art
« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
Art,

I disabled port 2 and changed the port 1 address to the second port address and set pins 2-9 to inputs.  Now I can't clear the e stop and pin 17 which is my charge pump in port one is still flashing although I don't have anything assigned to pin 17 on port 2.  Pins 2 through 7 don't change when I move the axes (they are shaft encoder inputs) but pins 15, 13, and 12 still do with the same axes.  So. yes the mimicking still happens although the desired input pins don't change, perhaps because of the charge pump.  If I clear the set pins 2-9 to inputs option, I can clear e stop but, of course, I can't drive the pins with the encoders

Yes the probe is also on port 2 pin 11.

Where do I find or create a modified homing script or am I too far ahead?

Hows you coffee allowance holding up?   ;D

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »
Very weird. I cant see a way for that to work... do your versions properly show 1.09 and 1.08 on the darwin waterfall screen?

Your ahead on scripting, I imagine screens will appear with that done in the buttons.. not something Ill deal with myself.
What happens if you disable port 1, does port 2 change any way?

Art

« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
Yes, those are the version numbers showing.

No change to the operation of port 2 if I disable port 1 as compared to my original post.

Peter

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
Peter:

Guess we'll have to wait for more testers to see if thats a common occurance. Ive gone over all the input
sections and and the processors, and cant find anything that would do that, all the port data is quite
separate in space.
   Ill keep an eye out for any info that looks similar..

Art
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
Art:

Thanks for looking.  I'll have to hope that a later version will fix this for me or that I will find something I've done.  If it weren't for the fact that the same hardware works in M3, I'd start tearing into the hardware.

One other thing I noticed, if I click on the "set motion device" tab in M4 configure, M4 freezes and the only way out is a system reboot.  Don't know if that helps or not.  My life experience tells me that multiple problems usually have a common source but since everything here is so new, that may not hold.

Peter

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »
Peter:

Yes, thats what i worry about, Ive reports of crashing all over with this version, so its best not to tear too deeply
till at least that problem is fixed, anythings possible when that type of thing is happening...

Art