Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:52:19 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Printer Port Discussions  (Read 1243721 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 Printer Port Discussions
« Reply #940 on: January 03, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »
Greg:

I'm really not sure whats going on there.. Opening M3 and M4 at the same time Ida thought would crash you pretty hard..

Short of hooking a scope on the output pins to see whats up Im not sure what you can check. Does the system require a charge pump to move?
Is it possible your just missing a charge pump signal?

Art

« Reply #941 on: January 07, 2016, 06:09:08 AM »
Hi Art,

in your last message you said " In Darwins config, tell it the Limit Switches should cause an Estop"

Can you elaborate in how to do this.

Cheers

Mark
« Reply #942 on: January 07, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
Hi Art,

Not sure if this one is for this group or not .please advise.

Are the motor parameters, steps per inch and velocity etc in Mach4 the same as mach3 ?

My Mach3 system motors sound very smooth,

However , in mach4 If I use the same settings , the system seems to be behaving total differently, the motor sound is much sharper.
and ever the steps setting has to be different.
Shouldn't the settings be identical ?

Regards

MArk

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »
Mark:

>>in your last message you said " In Darwins config, tell it the Limit Switches should cause an Estop"
>>Can you elaborate in how to do this.

In Darwin's config, where you set the input signals up, you can check or uncheck "E Stop Trip" on any signal.
In the case of a limit switch, set it to "EStop Trip" , this is a signal that tells Darwin that if such a signal is tripped
and your trying to reset, it will turn off the E-Stop on that signal till you drive off it, and will ignore it during homing.

>>However , in mach4 If I use the same settings , the system seems to be behaving total differently, the motor sound is much sharper.
and ever the steps setting has to be different.

It should sound smoother, as Darwin is a smoother motion device than the old printer port. Steps really should be the
same. Id try inverting the Step pulse, its possible your driver needs the pulses inverted, that happens fairly often.. and can
impact the step count and sound...

Art

Offline NKS

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:09 PM »
Hi Folks,

I've just finished wiring my electronics up and I'm trying to configure Darwin.  I have my X & Y steppers jogging smoothly through Darwin and Mach 4.  However, my Z is giving me some trouble.  Motor #2 (my Z axis) is configured in a similar manner to the X and Y, however, the jogging "light" does not go green when I activate the jog pad... No motion at all.  BUT, when I negate the step signal the motor moves a tiny amount and with a painful grinding noise.  I'm running a C10 BOB and I measure a clean 5v when I toggle my Z pul and dir pins on individually.

I know it's not a motor problem.  My only idea is that the driver (Keling 8070Digital), which is different from the X & Y drivers, is causing a problem?  But would that explain not getting a green light when jogging in Darwin?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nico

« Reply #945 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:06 AM »
Hi Art,

I tried inverting the step signal as you suggested.
When I do this i do not get any motion, only a little grinding noise as experienced above in the previous post.

so I assume the settings are ok.

Would you like me to record the sound of the motor on mach3 and mach4 so you ca  hear the difference?

I will lookup the steps per mm for you tonight.

Mark

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 12, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi Mark:

No, sounds likely wouldnt help. It does sound like your losing steps or something,
but as your waveform is clean I'm at a loss as to why. Your at the point where Id
personally pull out one of my scopes and see what it says is going on.
   You know, something niggles at me, make sure all the Mach4 config items liek limit
switches and home switches are set to Active High, then see if any LED's are on in
Mach4's config , like limits and homes. They should all be off. Seems to me if a
homing switch is senses as active and motion occurs, it may be choppy.. Home switches
and limits should not be ON when an axis is moving really, other than to jog off
them..

But thats the only thing that comes to mind that "may" have an effect on pulse
clarity..

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 12, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »
>>But would that explain not getting a green light when jogging in Darwin?

Not quite sure what green light we're speaking of?

Art

Offline NKS

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 12, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »
Art,

I'm talking about the jogging "LED" in the diagnostics part of the motor configure page.  It goes green when I jog X&Y but stays red when I try to jog Z.  The motors are otherwise configured in an identical manner. 

Thanks,
N

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 12, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »
N:

It means Darwin doesn't think its jogging.. Is the Z axis mapped to the jogger when your jogging?
might be a bug i had'nt heard of before..  Do you have Z axis selected in axis 1 or axis 2 for jogging?
If so, the LED should be on..   Make sure no other signal is set to either its step or dir, I got bit
by that before...

If all  else fails, do this, swap X and Z and try jogging. Does the X now sound noisy when you jog z?
Is the Z noisy when you jog X?

Art